Final drive oil change during 1000km service

kdt

Thought I would start a new thread to alert new owners of HP2's to change the oil before it becomes a problem. :eek:

BMW Canada

Bullitin # 00 002 06 (020) was released this month that states: Final drive oil change during 1000km service K2x, K4x. This is to minimize wear over the service life of the final drive due to traces of certain substances used in the manufacturing process that release and bind with oil while the final drive is being run in. The oil change flushes these particles out of the assembly before they have a chance to affect wear. The new 07 HP2's will have a drain plug and magnet to ensure metalic particles are seperated out of the oil during the run in process. The dealer is looking into seeing if a retrofit drain plug can be fitted to the older model as the 06 model has to have the drive assembly removed and turned upside down to change the oil. This adds significantly to the service time and does not have the magnet to help eliminate the problematic metal particles.

I put about 100km on today after receiving it back from the dealer and the new final drive seems to have fixed the problem of a significant chirping sound out of the old final drive as the unit slipped between the play in the drive unit. I noticed it the most at low speeds when the bike sped up or slowed down. The ride height did not seem to make any difference on my bike and I noticed it with both Enduro and Motorrad wheels.

Changed my final drive oil today.
Was always going to anyway, but thanks for the alert.
I'd also recommend an early change of gearbox oil - there's bound to be some running in swarf in there :eek:

Had a call from my dealer this week about a recall to replace the seal on the speedo pick up, but I didn't notice any seal ? Anyone had any problems with leaks here?

Back
Top Bottom