85hp Sewing machine

dfulgosi

Hello guys, just arrived (yesterday evening), with my new ADV. I made 600Kms to take her home and, after the very first 20Kms, which made me think "my God, if I've only had a chance to test one, I would never bought one!!!", well, at Km number 21, she became a sort of ..., well..., I can't imagine my riding life without her :D
Anyway, I noticed some "strange things" that I do already know (learnt here) as "GS phenomena", but I've never read that "EVERYTHING HAPPENS SINCE THE VERY BEGINNING", so, here I am, just asking IF the following behaviour IS normal since new:

1) Left ankle with the same temperature of the oil (with normal shoes). Is it something that will decrease with the running in?
2) When the oil-temp reaches the 5 bars, two things happens:
- The best of "Singer Sewing Machine" in concert (only under 4000/4500rpm)
- A strange noise when in release, during shifting down or at any speed/gear, when I close the throttle, something like a loud whistle, or a howl, like truk's trasmission use to do. Normal?

Thanks to everybody who'll help this Twin-Oil-Head newbee.

They all do that Sir

... I've given up listening to the whines, rattles, ticks, clunks etc that come from the boxer engine ... reminds me of my old VW Beetle, made some bizarre noises but ran like a Swiss watch for years ...

Stop worrying, ride it and enjoy

:beerjug: :beerjug:

dfulgosi said:
IF the following behaviour IS normal since new:

1) Left ankle with the same temperature of the oil (with normal shoes). Is it something that will decrease with the running in?
2) When the oil-temp reaches the 5 bars, two things happens:
- The best of "Singer Sewing Machine" in concert (only under 4000/4500rpm)
- A strange noise when in release, during shifting down or at any speed/gear, when I close the throttle, something like a loud whistle, or a howl, like truk's trasmission use to do. Normal?

Thanks to everybody who'll help this Twin-Oil-Head newbee.

1) will decrease when wearing boots and increase when riding without shoes or trousers

2)
- Each bar repesents a harmony part, increase by adding extra accessories and loud pipe
- No, truck transmissions are often quieter

Easily solved - use ear plugs

Some sounds you get used to... learn to ignore them. But do pay attention for new ones. Mine's got a few quirks that would be sorted by adding a Remus end can (duly doing so as we speak!)... but there developed a new sound a few days ago... returned to friendly mechanic who said, "ummm.... a bit noisy isn't it?"... and this coming from a BMW mechanic! :)

You should be ok engine wise for the first while... learn what's normal... ignore it... listen for new sounds... pay attention to them.;)

Alternatively... drown out all sounds by investing in either race can (more expensive option) or ear plugs (slightly less expensive option).:p

GS Rule No:1
ALWAYS buy the best earplugs you can, and just ignore the bangs rattles and pharts. Gives a much less stressful ownership. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom