Bike to bike - BT?

Kritou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I tour regularly in a group of four or five bikes and to date we have eschewed the cost and complexity of PMRs. Communicating with others involves riding up to the front and gesturing that a pee, coffee or whatever is needed

We are however beginning to realise that on occasion some form of wireless comms would be an advantage

Reading that Class 1 Bluetooth devices can have a range in excess of 100 metres I recently contacted a well known bike to bike radio manufacturer to ask if a BT helmet to helmet unit was conceivable. They replied that bearing in mind the limited range and ability to communicate only with "paired" units, it was really just a software question and that they might look into the matter at a later date

I now see that at http://www.cellularline.com/news/interphone/n_interphone_e.htm someone has gone down this path - but only allowing two units to communicate. According to one ride report the system works well at up to 150 metres range

So my questions for the experts are - how many Class 1 BT units can be simultaneously coupled? - when two or more devices transmit at the same time what happens, is there a "VHF capture" effect or are frequencies "shuffled" so as to give a form of duplex/complex operation

... and my question for you riders - do you think that such a close-in, interference free, comms system would appeal to the market?

You can get 4 Cobra PMR radios in Maplin for around £60 or so.

You can alos get a motorcyle PTT button, mike and speaker set fro £25 or less.

They're not the best raios, I know, but we use them for training and they work quite well over short distances of up to 2 km.

Back
Top Bottom