Spain/Portugal recommendations please

MIKA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hope someone out there can assist with route recommendations.

Booked the ferry to Santander in Spain next April and will have 9 days there to play on the GS, looking for any routes/knowledge of roads running down the Spain/Portugal border to have some fun on.

Many thanks

Mika

It depends what you want really. You will be on the doorstep of the Picos which is just perfect for the GS. Some great trails offroad there if you are feeling adventurous. Potes is a great base for a few days (or more).

Most of the roads in Spain are of a high quality so you can't go wrong - I've never been over to Portugal so can't comment on that area.

Have fun and take your camera - we expect a full report :D

MIKA said:
Hope someone out there can assist with route recommendations.

Booked the ferry to Santander in Spain next April and will have 9 days there to play on the GS, looking for any routes/knowledge of roads running down the Spain/Portugal border to have some fun on.

Many thanks

Mika

Do you have a GPS

The Spanish/Portugese area half way down from Zarza la Mayor, Ponte de Sor and Portalegre is very interesting - Natural beauty in way of national park with Roman ruins etc. Wide wild hills al la peak district rather than dramatic peaks.

Remember Portugal is 1 hour ahead of Spain and Portugese is NOTHING like any other european language!
All the top bit of Spain is lovely (thought the fact that it is so green gives a hint of the weather) and the Picos are made for bikers.

I was happy to get out of Portugal - though beautiful it suffers from lack of planning, so beautiful countryside is marred by open dumps and the smell of piss! The drivers are barking mad - OVERtaking at 120+ when I was in the outside lane!! :confused:

Spain I thought was lovely, the peeps are v friendly, the food excellent and the roads show what good EU money can achieve!

enjoy

Simon

If you can afford the prices and have a pillion on the back, planning a route around the Paradores should get some smartie points, and they're in / around the Picos. :bounce1 :bounce1

Many thanks for the advice.

Bakerman i don't have GPS, will be working with maps afraid.

Will be staying on road unless it is a lane to reach B&B or other accomodation.

Mate who is going with me has done the Pyranees a couple of times beginning of April but says at that time of year weather can still be a bit dodgy with some roads still closed due to snow, hence the reason we thought about heading south, possibly jumping between Spain/Portugal.

Thanks again

Mika.

Can conform looniness of portugese drivers. Especially interesting on very old fashioned (paving stones) country roads in the Sierra de Estrella.

If you're after culture and amazing wild landscapes you could head down to Sevilla via Leon, Salamanca, Caceres and and Merida. Great road if you keep off the newly built motorway. You could come back up through Portugal.

Back
Top Bottom