Rear end grip

Spout

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've not read anything on here. So:

Is it just me, or is anyone else suffering from a lack of rear end grip?

I'm talking off road here (although it is suprisingly easy to accidentally spin the rear on a wet road ;) )

I first noticed it within a day or so of ownership, but put it down to not being used to the bike. But after a few months I now think it must be the bike.
I've ridden most of the GSs off road over the years, and the HP2 is by far the worst for loosing momentum up slippery slopes.

I know it's got a rather "keen" throttle :p , but even on a constant throttle it struggles to find grip.

Obvious solution would be to use grippier tyres, but I don't think that's the cause (my other GSs coping well enough on TKCs and even T66s :eek: ).
I've tried various suspension settings and generally the softer the rear the better the grip.
So, is it the bike's geometry? The long swing arm sacrificing low speed grip for high speed stability.

Or have I just turned into an off road numpty?

Weight distribution???

How aboot pulling the bars back a bit mebbe??

Dunno, just waffling :D

Yours seemed ok the other day, but I thought it didn't feel as planted offroad.
Suspension and riding position made it a bit flighty in the steering stakes
Only had a short go, though

:eek :eek what tires are you using? The Karoo T's are crap. On wet tarmac, they spin. On fire roads, they still spin. On downhills...... f*ck!!!! Just hold the f*ck on. I have metzeler unicross tires on order. Since i live here in a 3rd world country, everything has to be ordered abroad!!!!! Am using the old karoos now since the T's are virtually useless after 600 miles and they spin on dirt and tarmac. My tire pressure? 32psi front and rear. I know I should deflate but i ride alone most of the time.

By the way, the nice thing about living in a 3rd world country is that even the major roads are full of potholes!!!! Its like riding on fire roads every single day :p :p

So following this on... what would people recommend as the best duel purpose tyres for both tarmac (have to get to the off road sections in the UK) and off road/ green lanes?

You really need to lower the pressures I think (this is to Spout and Mudpao). 32psi will get you no grip at all on rock, in my experience. Dropping to 20 or even better 15 (if you want to risk it) will make a world of difference.

The risks of lower pressures are of course that you could break the bead on the tyre or ding a rim.

When I had my GS I thought the best dual purpose tyres for dirt use were the Karoos (not the "T" just the normal one). TKC80s are close but the karoos have better grip in mud. TKC80s are nicer on tarmac though.

I know Phil Gunn uses proper enduro tyres on his HP2, but I guess these can't last very long at all on tarmac.

Mouse said:
You really need to lower the pressures I think
I never bothered lowering the pressures on my other GSs (until I got stuck that is:D ).
So must be more a weight distribution thing. I've angled my bars a bit further back (I had noticed I was riding on my heels). Hope it helps.

Mouse said:
You really need to lower the pressures I think (this is to Spout and Mudpao). 32psi will get you no grip at all on rock, in my experience. Dropping to 20 or even better 15 (if you want to risk it) will make a world of ........

I know Phil Gunn uses proper enduro tyres on his HP2, but I guess these can't last very long at all on tarmac.

Those tire pressures?? On tubeless on tube type tires.... (Gulp) Gotta be worth trying though.... we'll never know until we break it :D
What did Dunner have on his? 18in rears on Unicross 17in rears?

Not owning an hp2 but some other over powered big enduro, i cant see how you will ever get decent grip off road unless you go for something with big nobs on.

I've used karroo 2's on the SE, fine in the dry, but in the wet it was all over the place.

For the wales weekend i'm going for front: Pirelli Scorpion Pro 90/90-21
rear: Pirelli Scopion MX eXTra 120/100-18

as recommended to me here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158311&highlight=Scorpion+eXtra

I'm guessing the Pirelli's are not going to work well or last on tarmac though?

speedyellow said:
I'm guessing the Pirelli's are not going to work well or last on tarmac though?

You can't have it both ways, fella

Personally the TKC's on my Airhead are only good in the dry, at a guess.

Going to fit some Pirelli Rallycross MT21's for Trailbike rallyes or serious winter off-road

JohnnyBoxer said:
You can't have it both ways, fella

Personally the TKC's on my Airhead are only good in the dry, at a guess.

Going to fit some Pirelli Rallycross MT21's for Trailbike rallyes or serious winter off-road

be careful with the MT 21 on the front they can get a bit wayward
for what it is worth back is grand , I prefer Michelin enduro 4 up front
also michelin Desert

gunner

On my 1150 I just used TKC's, they were OK for a ride from the South Coast up into Wales and works OK and the sort of lanes I tended to use. But I know what you mean about having it both ways, just wondering about best compromise..

philgunn said:
be careful with the MT 21 on the front they can get a bit wayward
for what it is worth back is grand , I prefer Michelin enduro 4 up front
also michelin Desert

gunner

Cheers Phil :thumb

I've used MT21's on all my other Enduro bikes, but they were lighter

I have a new pair of Michelin Enduro's lurking in the garage, so may fit those in preference to the new MT21's that were thrown in when I bought the bike

Back
Top Bottom