The Definative Northern Ride

snoopy

I'm going to take the lead on creating a Northern GS outing. Please state your favourite roads and ideally an accessible good pub for a meal. I can take GPS cords as well. I'll compile the list one weekend and produce a route from it.

I'm thinking areas of:

Geordie Land
North Dales
Alston (HartSide)
Lower scotland

We are looking for:

Twisty roads, non-motorway.
Ford roads and gravel off-roading.
A good pub.

This is a cracking road , nice and twisty , at the end of it is this pub , bike friendly and has one or two nice girls working there . It has a restaurant and also does bar meals . It won an award for real ales and stocks plenty of continental lagers , i'll try and remember it's name :D

Attachments

• Rosedene ..jpg
    Rosedene ..jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 320
Good start :thumb

// After roads that have deep puddles / river crossings :thumb :eek: as these are much more fun then having the GS sink in mud.

would love a run up to hartside via Barnard Castle-havent done it for ages-for those who havent been, you get nice twisty roads and a good meal at the hartside cafe.

Sundays 10am start would be personally good for me-nice easy pace, dry roads bit of sunshine hopefully. :beerjug:

Delaval to Carter Bar, then take the road for Newcastleton. At Saughtree take the road south towards Keilder, then Bellingham....etc.

:beerjug:

Snoopy

up kielder way theres the kielder forest drive thing (gravelly and easy),

for fords have a look at the wetroads site www.wetroads.co.uk

But i'm sure you already knew all this!!! Hows the HID's, you still burning out the retinas of all those poor nocturnal animals :D

Martin

James Burton said:
This is a cracking road , nice and twisty , at the end of it is this pub , bike friendly and has one or two nice girls working there . It has a restaurant and also does bar meals . It won an award for real ales and stocks plenty of continental lagers , i'll try and remember it's name :D

Yeah... I know that pub... it's called 'The Road's Down', or something similar :D

ballistic said:
Yeah... I know that pub... it's called 'The Road's Down', or something similar :D
or in james,s case its "thee sore end"

Hmm, not too many helpful suggestions but I'll see what I can do. Am arranging the scotland rideout though - check out the other thread!

If your're heading my way i can sort out fords and mud snoopy.It's the best part of Northumberland you know :D

We`ll I suppose I`m luckier than most as I live in Langholm , Kiedler forest is about 45 mins away but 10 mins up the roads is Eskdalemuir, Castle O`er and Tigglees Forest and in the middle Hart manor hotel, and the Rozzers dont come up there after they watched Deliverance :goof
Continue on and you have MAMBA country (Miles And Miles of Bugger All), towards St Marys Loch, not sure after that some say you`ll fall of the end of the world there.
Thats why I`m counting the days till I get my GS
8 days 14 hours and 56 mins

zdaveuk said:
We`ll I suppose I`m luckier than most as I live in Langholm , Kiedler forest is about 45 mins away but 10 mins up the roads is Eskdalemuir, Castle O`er and Tigglees Forest and in the middle Hart manor hotel, and the Rozzers dont come up there after they watched Deliverance :goof
Continue on and you have MAMBA country (Miles And Miles of Bugger All), towards St Marys Loch, not sure after that some say you`ll fall of the end of the world there.
Thats why I`m counting the days till I get my GS
8 days 14 hours and 56 mins
You lucky (soon to be) Tosser :thumb

Comfort stop

At Pelosi's caff in Langholm. Great coffee. Nice people. Use the public toilet behind it as they don't have their own!

I'll start sorting this when we get back from the Scotland run. Forry have you got any specific places in mind?.. I'm trying to get a Mapsource route together, cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom