TomTom Rider map help

zerocool

Reaction score
Ive got a TomTom Rider with UK maps and ive been donated a version of the maps for Western Europe. However these do not load and what im looking for is the Navteq maps that include Ireland as im planning a route to Ireland very soon.

Ide also like a working Western Europe set of maps as next year I hope to do a europe trip, however the cards they sell on the TomTom websites is not only too dear but more importantly it says that its compatible with other TomToms which I presume means that they are the TeleAtlas versions which wouldnt include Ireland.

I find it hard to believe how TomTom can supply thier GPSs with a version of the maps that discludes Ireland when they have a version that does include it!?!!?

Can anybody help?

the ZC

ZC,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Do you know what version number the European maps you have be given are?

I've just looked at mine, and there does seem to be a difference in level of detail between Northern Ireland and the south - I think that may be down to the level of mapping information passed on by the respective governments. I have now checked and the maps are Teleatlas

Iain

I have downloaded a program called tomjar which tells me the maps are version 650, so presumably 6.5.

Im sure that from what ive read online that only the NaxTeq maps have any Southern Ireland mapping data at all! Checked my current UK map and there isnt even major roads which is useless!

Any help is appreciated Stimulator

the ZC

the ZC,

My European map is Western_Europe v650.1127 It is a TeleAtlas map, but to be honest it performed very well when I travelled in Holland, Belgium, France and Germany this summer. Also the UK map seems to be very good.

Mapping of the Irish Republic isn't good, but it does have major roads/towns. I guess it would be to the same sort of level of the front route planning page that you sometimes get at the front of an atlas.

When you say that you can't load the European maps that you have been donated, what's the problem? As far as I'm aware you should simply be able to store them on an SD card and use it. Of course at about 1gb for the seamless European map it takes quite a large SD card. Having said that, when I updated the maps I'm using I did it all through the TomTom home application.

Iain

Somebody has given me them with the intention of me not having to buy a set because I mentioned that I wanted Ireland and we were going to test it first. See now the problem is I will have to blindly purchase a western europe map of the internet and it may be the wrong version, it may work but I will just get the major roads of Ireland and not detailed.

I wonder what GPSs they buy in Ireland, presumably not TomTom! :eek:

the ZC

It’s believed Navtech/Garmin will be updating there mapping for Ireland for a future release, as Navtech have been mapping southern Ireland for some while now. Its unlikely TeleAtlas will be able to follow on unless they drive the roads and plot them as Navtech have.

zerocool said:
Somebody has given me them with the intention of me not having to buy a set because I mentioned that I wanted Ireland and we were going to test it first. See now the problem is I will have to blindly purchase a western europe map of the internet and it may be the wrong version, it may work but I will just get the major roads of Ireland and not detailed.

I wonder what GPSs they buy in Ireland, presumably not TomTom! :eek:

the ZC

If your version is 650, then it is the latest one, and you won't have to buy blindly off the internet, because it does only have major roads of the Irish Republic.

ebbo said:
It’s believed Navtech/Garmin will be updating there mapping for Ireland for a future release, as Navtech have been mapping southern Ireland for some while now. Its unlikely TeleAtlas will be able to follow on unless they drive the roads and plot them as Navtech have.

Although no release date for the TomTom/Tele Atlas map of RofI has been released, Tele Atlas did announce on Sep 5th that they have added detailed Ireland/N Ireland maps to the existing map database, so it may not be as far away as you're implying.

The same release also stated "Tele Atlas has made significant advancements in Eastern Europe, incorporating data from the Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania), and from the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Russia."

I suspect that with the product base that Tele Atlas now have, they can't afford to be behind for long.

zerocool said:
Ive got a TomTom Rider with UK maps and ive been donated a version of the maps for Western Europe. However these do not load and what im looking for is the Navteq maps that include Ireland as im planning a route to Ireland very soon.

Ide also like a working Western Europe set of maps as next year I hope to do a europe trip, however the cards they sell on the TomTom websites is not only too dear but more importantly it says that its compatible with other TomToms which I presume means that they are the TeleAtlas versions which wouldnt include Ireland.

I find it hard to believe how TomTom can supply thier GPSs with a version of the maps that discludes Ireland when they have a version that does include it!?!!?

Can anybody help?

the ZC

I've TeleAtlas maps for the UK & Ireland plus Europe, use them on a PDA. Not really sure how to evaluate details of the Eire maps as I've never been there but they look OK. Your welcome to have a look at them for evaluation purposes before you go out and buy. :thumb

jefformston said:
I've TeleAtlas maps for the UK & Ireland plus Europe, use them on a PDA. Not really sure how to evaluate details of the Eire maps as I've never been there but they look OK. Your welcome to have a look at them for evaluation purposes before you go out and buy. :thumb

Sounds good Jefformston :clap where aboutst are you? Ive got a PDA that ive got europe for the PDA but doesnt include southern ireland yet again, I was hoping to use TT Rider for this but I guess I could use PDA just for ireland and but maps for Europe. Would be useful to "evaluate" your Ireland maps. :thumb

ta

the ZC - denny_den_den [at] hotmail dot com

Back
Top Bottom