Garmin 2610 or TomTom Rider ?

grez

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a GPS for the bike and to use in the car at work. I can get either of the above for the same price. Anybody got any recommendations as to which one would be best ? Must be simple to use as the operator is technologically challanged.

I can't vouch for the Tom Tom rider, but i've previously owned a Garmin Quest, and due to theft, i've just replaced it with a 2610.

I paid £249 for mine and i was well pleased with that.

The die hards will go on about "old technology" but i have to say, that i've been nothing short of impressed, does exactly what it says on the tin and considering the unit was selling for upwards of £500 only a matter of months ago, i think it goes to show what a bargain.

Also Garmin are continuing to support this model according to their website.

At £199, i don't think you can go wrong, if you hadn't guessed already, i'd plump for the Garmin over the Tom Tom any day of the week, and twice on a Sunday :bounce1

Let us all know how you choose... will be interesting to hear the results..

good luck with whichever unit you choose....

The 2610 is a super bit of kit, the main advantage over TomTom being MapSource, TomTom can't match that!

Depends on what is most important to you...

I use TomTom Navigator in the car, and have a Garmin Quest for the bike. If you want to plan a route in advance on your home PC and then upload it to the GPS, then its got to be the Garmin. If this isn't of huge importance to you, then choose the TomTom. With the TomTom you can search by full postcode, and you can upload a speed camera database. The 2610 doesn't provide either of these features (although other Garmin models do).

The TomTom provides some facilities for advanced route planning, but not as good as the Garmin. I think the TomTom has a better user interface - for example it is much easier to avoid a part of your route on the TomTom than it is on the Garmin (useful if you're using it in the car, and are stuck in a traffic jam...).

HTH
TC

Tomcat said:
and you can upload a speed camera database. The 2610 doesn't provide either of these features (although other Garmin models do).

HTH
TC

This is possible on the 2610 - try doing a search, whatton posted how to do it, it maybe a sticky -

Don't forget you can have the whole of Europe on a 2610 :thumb I think tomtom charges per map of each country ?

Steptoe said:
This is possible on the 2610 - try doing a search, whatton posted how to do it, it maybe a sticky -

Don't forget you can have the whole of Europe on a 2610 :thumb I think tomtom charges per map of each country ?

What Steptoe said :)

I use a map overlay for speed cameras. Just have to select it along with the usual European maps and then upload to a 2Gb memory card.

Job done :thumb

£250 + the cost of a 2GB Flashcard...........................................

Might not be the most up-to-date graphics definition, but you will have a rugged unit that will take you all round Europe, has all the Points Of Interest and you can program the routes on your PC.

You can't go wrong! :thumb

Al :D

:rob I now use the TomTom rider in the car as well as the bike - It is down to personal taste at the end of the day, both are great units - I find the TTR to be more intuitive and it has a better chipset that gives you better signal recognition. The mapping / graphics work really well on the TomTom, I use the TTR to actively ride , setting up for bends using the mapping ........... it gets the thumbs up from me :beerjug:

Blackal said:
£250 + the cost of a 2GB Flashcard...........................................

Might not be the most up-to-date graphics definition, but you will have a rugged unit that will take you all round Europe, has all the Points Of Interest and you can program the routes on your PC.

You can't go wrong! :thumb

Al :D

How rugged? I ordered one last week, fitted it to the bike via a Motorad Concepts mount on Saturday & went for a ride. 2 minutes down the road I loose the detailed maps, pull over take out the CF card & re-insert it, detailed maps back. Ride for another hour, to compare with old PDA gps, works well. Get home & go to remove the unit from the bike & note no detailed map again. Despite removing & re-inserting the CF card a few times, no joy the unit no longer reads from or writes to the card. :spitfire Unit now in the post back to Blokesstuff, hopefully a replacement will arrive later in the week.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a little concerned that I'll head off on a trip around Europe and 5 minutes from the port I'll not be able to read maps from the CF card & it will be the base map for 2 weeks. :eek:

I've been using a PDA gps for the last 2 years without problem, but thought a more 'rugged' 2610 would be a better bet, hope I'm not wrong.

jefformston said:
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a little concerned that I'll head off on a trip around Europe and 5 minutes from the port I'll not be able to read maps from the CF card & it will be the base map for 2 weeks. :eek:

Could be a crappy CF card rather than the unit.

[QUOTE='Nuffsaid]:rob I now use the TomTom rider in the car as well as the bike - It is down to personal taste at the end of the day, both are great units - I find the TTR to be more intuitive and it has a better chipset that gives you better signal recognition. The mapping / graphics work really well on the TomTom, I use the TTR to actively ride , setting up for bends using the mapping ........... it gets the thumbs up from me :beerjug:[/QUOTE]

How do you find the display in all this unseasonal sunshine - is it still usable without an audio connection?

Cheers,

Mike

Steve said:
Could be a crappy CF card rather than the unit.

Possible, but it happened to both the 256mb card supplied with the 2610 & another Sandisk 1GB card, so I'm assuming it's the unit. :(

I've reviewed numerous postings in the GPS section & can't find mention of anyone else having this problem so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a one off. Time will tell when the replacement arrives. :)

2610 sold out at GPSW as of today.
I was talkin to them today on phone, there all gone. boo hoo!!!

Garmin with 2GB memory card, speed camera overlay, touratech mount and you won't be disappointed. Tried other makes (not the TomTom though) and the Garmin is by far the best especially if you want to use it throughout Europe.

Back
Top Bottom