Garmin or TOM TOM Poll

swebb

Thought it would be interesting to find out some stats regarding who make the best GPS'ssssss

Personally i've never used Tom Tom, but due to obviously weak mindedness that I have, I'm a loyal, die hard Garmin all the way fan, and the worst is, i can't even tell you why, coz i don't know!!! :thumb

Guess i'll have to hope someone else can create the poll, coz i can't see how to, (numpty, i know)

swebb said:
Thought it would be interesting to find out some stats regarding who make the best GPS'ssssss

Personally i've never used Tom Tom, but due to obviously weak mindedness that I have, I'm a loyal, die hard Garmin all the way fan, and the worst is, i can't even tell you why, coz i don't know!!! :thumb

Guess i'll have to hope someone else can create the poll, coz i can't see how to, (numpty, i know)

It will be a wonderful poll, with lots of action centred around the definition of the word "best". I could get all defensive about why I spent so much money on my current GPS.
We could even have a bit of warm-up with a poll on who makes the "best" bike.

i don't think you can work routes out etc. on a pc with tom tom software*, so it's a no brainer: garmin for me :thumb

*i might be wrong of course, in which case: garmin :D

cookie said:
i don't think you can work routes out etc. on a pc with tom tom software
Right. And this is the key issue. It's only Garmin that has route planning software for PC. This makes Garmin the only realistic option for bikers.

In a car, where the only purpose of a navigator is to guide you to a given address, you can use any navigator. Sony, Magellan, TomTom, whatever. They will all do the job.
:type

As well as planning detailed routes on a PC with multiple waypoints, I also enjoy uploading the track logs and also uploading additional points of interest that I saved along the way.

Sometimes I spend a considerable time planning a ride and I need a big PC screen for this.

Can you use multiple waypoints on a TomTom ? :nenau

So.. for me it is a no brainer... Garmin :thumb
:D

I just spent a whole bunch of money on a Garmin 2820...

But I've never been a big fan of brand loyalty... they are all out to separate you from your money IMHO....

Recently a friend wanted to get a TomTom 910 for his car. (has a spindle so no good for the bike IMHO).

Before he bought (his first GPS), I filled him with thoughts on what was important, what was imperative (all IMHO of course)

I told him that in my opinion TomTom was making pretty good GPS's and that they were definitely fighting the good fight (trying to get one up on) with Garmin... which is good for us, as it forces Garmin to keep inovating...

He bought the 910, I looked at the specs... seems like a good unit.. .does lots of what my 2820 does. and more... comes with street level mapping for both Europe and NA...

I'm not totally sure about on PC travel planning though.. I'll have to have a look at his system sometime soon...

I still like my Garmin, but if I wasn't hooked on Mapsource already... Likely I'd have had a better look at TomTom...

Al...

Al... convince yourself that you'd like a TomTom.. and if you'll give me an offer..I'll buy your 2820 :D

GrinningGSer said:
As well as planning detailed routes on a PC with multiple waypoints, I also enjoy uploading the track logs and also uploading additional points of interest that I saved along the way.

Sometimes I spend a considerable time planning a ride and I need a big PC screen for this.

Can you use multiple waypoints on a TomTom ? :nenau

So.. for me it is a no brainer... Garmin :thumb
:D

Ditto :thumb

araspitfire said:

But I've never been a big fan of brand loyalty... they are all out to separate you from your money IMHO....

which is good for us, as it forces Garmin to keep inovating...

Al...

if they didn't make any money out of us, who do you think would pay for the "inovating" ?? - And if they didn't make any money, why would tomtom be making GPS units. Tomtom aren't in it for charity :nenau

cookie said:
i don't think you can work routes out etc. on a pc with tom tom software*, so it's a no brainer: garmin for me :thumb

*i might be wrong of course, in which case: garmin :D

Use TomTom HOME software in combination with the home dock to manage the files on your device (songs, photos, maps, etc), get new updates, plan and schedule journeys on your pc or Mac in advance, and much more.

Has anybody used TomTom home and how does it compare to Mapsource??

As far as I am aware, TomTom on your PC just shows the same screen and menus as you have on the unit on your bike?

With Garmin, you have full mapping available.

Say it with me, folks - G-A-R-M-I-N

Al :D

Had to shout up - The TomTom has by far the better chipset and screen - its user interface is really intuitive and is easier to set up ..... and before I get shouted down, I have had 2 x Garmins ....! TomTom Rider gets my vote every time ( And dont you just love the Bluetooth function , also being able to use your phone and use the SatNav)

Steptoe said:
if they didn't make any money out of us, who do you think would pay for the "innovating" ?? - And if they didn't make any money, why would tomtom be making GPS units. Tomtom aren't in it for charity :nenau

Oh, I have no problem with them making money.... but to promote Garmin above all else, just because that's all I've ever owned (I'm on 4 now)... seems a bit myopic... Yes their engineering is pretty damn good, but their sales people are as sneaky and underhanded as many of the worst kinds of car salesman I've met too...

And though I don't know much about TomTom... I get the feeling that they are doing a reasonable job of the engineering... (not to mention the other 5 or 6 outdoor GPS makers...) The fact that I don't know much about them is reason enough to not state too strong an opinion on the subject....

I like my Garmin GPS's and Mapsource... but other brands may be better... I don't know...

That's my statement and I'm sticking to it... :rob

For me the advantage of TomTom doing well is nothing to do with money... it's to do with forcing the sneaky underhanded carpetbaggers (go on Al... tell us what you really think =) at Garmin to make decisions that are less extortionate, and more reasonable, honest, and most importantly... to my advantage... :clap

Al...

Blackal said:
As far as I am aware, TomTom on your PC just shows the same screen and menus as you have on the unit on your bike?

With Garmin, you have full mapping available.

Say it with me, folks - G-A-R-M-I-N

Al is quite right with his description of TomTom home planning software. It allows you to use your PC in the same way as you would use the GPS unit to program a route - not particularly helpful, but it does at least mean that you can program in several routes (or itineraries to use the TomTom language) before you get out on the road, which is a big step forward for TomTom.

I can't compare properly as the Rider is the only GPS system I have used but as a simple A to B system the TomTom seems to do the job fine - even finds obscure hotels in Germany in time to get a couple of beers down before everyone else arrives :beerjug:

The TomTom audio set up is one huge disadvantage though - I run the Bluetooth adaptor through my Baehr intercom, and it works extremely well, but the adaptor cannot be powered on the move, and a charge only lasts 5 or 6 hours; this to my mind is very limiting for a system that is sold to people who will spend longer than that on their bikes.

Iain

The Stimulator said:
I can't compare properly as the Rider is the only GPS system I have used but as a simple A to B system the TomTom seems to do the job fine - even finds obscure hotels in Germany in time to get a couple of beers down before everyone else arrives :beerjug: Iain

"Smug mode" doesn't suit you Mr Stimulator :nono

Truth be known, you don't get TomTom audio directions on your bike at all................ You get JaneJane. :jes

(she's gonna kill me, isn't she?)

The TomTom Rider (and Sony, and Magellan, etc) is like a 9 years old Ford Fiesta. It takes you from A to B. No fun at all.

The Garmin 2820 is like a BMW K1200S. Great fun on road!
The Garmin 60CX is like a BMW HP2. Great fun offroad!
The Garmin 276C is like a BMW R1200GS. Not the best anywhere but still the most competent compromise available!

Garmin's mapsource is the thing that sets them apart ... its easy to use ... and (for the most part) very accurate ... but then most garmin units, when compared to Tomtom, are slightly more expensive...

I have a 2610 and a wife friendly c310 ... the 2610 is for off road and the c310 does everything else...

I think the Rider is over priced for what you get ... its no better than my c310 (£185 delivered) and the only real differences are waterproofing and bluetooth ... not worth the money in my opinion...

I think the tomtom is far better visually and alot easier to use. It has some great features but let down by price and a useless charging system.

Back
Top Bottom