Quest Cradle

Pink Crash Helmet

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just bought a garmin Quest for my 1150 GS, now I need to fix it to the bike. Can anyone suggest the best mount to use and has anyone got one they want to sell :beerjug: Your help will be greatly appreciated.

PCH :cool:

I have a RAM mount for my quest, it's good. (but i'm not selling ;) )
It doesn't suport the antenna like touratech or bikertech one's.
The original Garmin mount seems not to like water.

prul

I've got a RAM cradle for my Quest and I'm very happy with it. It's well-made, holds the Quest very securely and it's easy to get the Quest in and out of it. :thumb

The touratech lockable mount would be the best but it's not cheap :(

01-065-0090-01.jpg

Touratech Locking Mount for Garmin Quest
Part Number: 065-0090

http://www.globalpositioningsystems...racket-lockable-garmin-quest-description.html
you can get a powered version too

if your looking for one secondhand you could become a site Sponsor and then you can place an ad for one in the for sale & wanted section.

I've used both the original Garmin cradle and the RAM cradle. The Garmin mount works but the design is poor and allows water into the circuit board which I resolved by drilling a couple of holes and packing the void around circuit board with petroleum jelly. This was after several journey when the Quest was constantly powering off. The RAM cradle has so far been waterproof and seems to be a better though out design. I travelled around 15,000 miles using the Garmin cradle and have so far only covered 5,000 miles using the RAM cradle but with none of the issues previously experienced with the Garmin. I will say that after the alterations I made the Garmin did improve but as either choice works out within a few quid of one another I'd go for the RAM version.

Dave

TUNED IN said:
The touratech lockable mount would be the best but it's not cheap :(

01-065-0090-01.jpg

Touratech Locking Mount for Garmin Quest
Part Number: 065-0090

http://www.globalpositioningsystems...racket-lockable-garmin-quest-description.html
you can get a powered version too

if your looking for one secondhand you could become a site Sponsor and then you can place an ad for one in the for sale & wanted section.

I was under the impression that a couple of folks had lost their devices due to them dropping out of the TT item when on the move? Last one I recall was on the M25.

Dave

Dellis said:
I was under the impression that a couple of folks had lost their devices due to them dropping out of the TT item when on the move? Last one I recall was on the M25.

Dave

that would be the non lockable version as used by Fanum :D his also didn't have the spring that's fitted on the lockable one to keep it closed even when not locked... mine has never come loose even when not locked

I used a replacement clutch reservoir cover with Ram-Ball fitted for the Quest (and now 2610) on my R1100s - brings the unit closer to your eye than the instruments.

See the thread below for the arrangement and suppliers:

Ram mount for Quest/2610

Al :D

TUNED IN said:
that would be the non lockable version as used by Fanum :D his also didn't have the spring that's fitted on the lockable one to keep it closed even when not locked... mine has never come loose even when not locked

OK thanks - was sure I'd heard of one going astray.

Dave

I have a Garmin powered cradle and can see potential problems with the design as outlined by Dellis.

Dellis said:
The Garmin mount works but the design is poor and allows water into the circuit board which I resolved by drilling a couple of holes...
I presume that these are at the junction of the lower lip and backplate that contains the transformer and contacts, this seems to form a convenient cup to contain any water and make sure it enters where the contacts are?

Dellis said:
and packing the void around circuit board with petroleum jelly.
Did you take the cradle apart to do this or just forced it in around the contacts?

Bumpkin said:
I have a Garmin powered cradle and can see potential problems with the design as outlined by Dellis.

I presume that these are at the junction of the lower lip and backplate that contains the transformer and contacts, this seems to form a convenient cup to contain any water and make sure it enters where the contacts are?

Did you take the cradle apart to do this or just forced it in around the contacts?

I drilled the holes on the edge of the angle - the lowest point of the cradle when mounted.

I took the cradle apart to pack it with petroleum jelly.

Did the trick but when I got my new bike I wanted a new mount and went for the RAM which is a much better design IMO.

Dave

Dellis said:

Dave

I also have the lockable cradle and have used it extensively on both a Ducati St4s (vibrates like hell) and an 1150 GSA (on and off road).

On the plus side it can be connected to the bike's power supply via a ready made lead from TT. In addition it means you can wander off to pay for fuel etc without worrying that the Quest will dissappear whilst you are in the petrol station (you would be amazed how much attention it attracts when attached to your handlebars!).

On the downside, after three years of hard use I have noticed that the cannections for the power supply are occasionally failing to make contact and it alternates between battery and powered mode (no real problem at the moment except at night when the display sometimes switches off the backlight if it's gone on to battery power - a swift thump normally restores power).

I'd recommend the lockable kit as, if you are forgetfull like me, at least your GPS has a fighting chance of still being on the bike if you walk off and leave it in place :thumb

Back
Top Bottom