Fuel Injection and Lambda..good reading

The Mechanic

I'm surprised at the number of GSer's that do not appear to use the search engines available to them. An awful lot of the information that can lead to peace of mind or greater understanding is there for you to grab.

Try Google and then type in Lambda Sensor, alternatively you could try typing in the main part of your bike that is giving you grief. Example ....Fuel Injection

www.conservatory.com/vwmanuals
www.sportdevices.com/download/lsm

The above will provide very informative info, maybe put some of your minds at rest and others into turmoil.

Check them out and increase your knowledge.

So if I've read the VW manual correctly, the question of the effect of fitting K&N filters, Y-pieces and less restrictive cans has been finally answered.

The lambda sensor automatically compensates for them.

As it says: "In this manner, the fuel can be metered so precisely that depending upon load and engine speed the air-fuel ration is an optimum in all operating modes".

Or have I missed something?

Warm hands (heated whatsits)

Yep you missed something, thats the fact that the ECU can only modify/alter the fuelling to the parameters set in its look up tables, in other words its chip. If its on the edge of its parameters then it may still not be enough to prevent a too lean mixture, and then we end up with all the popping and banging that people go on about. Techclusion and the rest provide for this extra (wider) fuelling map. Of course if there is any one out there that 'burn' the fuelling chip, and then modify the ignition map to suit then come on down.

Right. Sooo, are the parameters set on the BMW chip broad enough to cope with the usual exhaust and inlet changes? No-one seems to know for sure.

Obviously the makers of after-market chips and other do-dahs would say "no", they're not going to help trash demand for their £300-a-pop add-ons, are they?

Lamda, Exhausts, Chips

Mechanic et al,

Thanks for your contributions, I certainly bow to your knowledge. There are 2 things that get me.

A. Some BMW dealers will supply & fit the Remus exhaust - I had an end can replacement and would like to get the Y-piece. At NO time did they ever mention - Lamda sensors, fuel mapping etc etc. So do BMW dealers mention this issue (they didn't to me), what about invalidating warranties? What do they suggest?

B. I change my oil and check my tyres but this is a bit more complex and even within this site there are conflicting opinions on this subject. So the answer is probably out there, but I haven't the inclination to sift through lots of sites.

You seem to have knowledge of this - so what is your recommendations regarding exhausts, chips, techlusions etc. Maybe there are enough people here to come up with a more definitive list of things to do when changing exhausts. There are several threads on this, can we get them into the same place ??

There are a lot of opinions on the subject, but not much solid fact on this, can anyone contribute that for us Bozo's.

That's more than 2 things, I have tried emailing my dealer - but I am on a ship in the Caspian Sea at the moment, so that's why I am asking others if they know.

That's a bit more than I was going to write.
Dave
:goof

I've just fitted (Well Rainbow did!) Y piece, Remus Genesis Race can, K&N filter. I then fitted Techlusion TFI 1030. All from Hein Gerike Cardiff via this BB.
Yesterday I took it to Dynobike in Malton, North Yorkshire to have it set up on a rolling road. Initially, even with the Techlusion it was running lean, not any more! plus gained 5bhp almost across all the rev band. Feels perkier!
Bike is an 03 GS twin spark.

Rod

You WIN the PRIZE!

Yippee, someones done right. The correct route most certainly, but I'm going to wait for the warranty to expire first, that way I'm in the clear for any claim I may have to make (I'm not expecting anything to go wrong but the law of averages etc.)
Mr Souter I bow to you sensible approach, you now have a decent exhaust note and most importantly the fuelling has been set-up to compensate for any tendancies to run too lean.
Readers Digest invite from Tom Champagne to write about your experiences on its way in post. Oh and he said something about you possibly being a £20,000 winner in this months campaign.

Re: You WIN the PRIZE!

. Oh and he said something about you possibly being a £20,000 winner in this months campaign. [/B]

Yes, well he's going to need it having spent around £800 on bits and bobs to make his bike sound lounder.

Remus Y-piece + Remus Genesis race can + K&N filter + Techlusion FI1030 box = £313 (inc delivery). Gerike Cardiff did a CRACKING deal!!!
Rod

Back
Top Bottom