Garmin Quest, how much?

Mouse

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a second hand Quest, for green laning and such hijinks :) I'd also go for a GPS V if the price was right. My 2610 is great but is getting a bit battered from being immersed in mud :)

What are the "going prices" for those devices, does anyone know?

Maybe I should have posted in the "For sale and Wanted" forum but this is more of a question than a definite want ad.

Thanks for any info :)

What's wrong with the antenna then? If it has a tendancy to "flip down" I can always stick a bit of tape on it.

The main reason I discounted units like the 60C is that I want something that can display road maps and calculate routes, has a big track log, and a small physical size (unlike the 2610).

Hi Mouse - I bought one off ebay back in the spring for £200. There were a few cheaper ones on there but this one had only been used once (genuine) so was as good as new.

Oh, and 13,000 miles later and the flip up antenna doesn't always stay up, so, tape it is :thumb

Andres

Outtomunch said:
.......Oh, and 13,000 miles later and the flip up antenna doesn't always stay up, so, tape it is :thumb

Andres

I'm certain Garmin would replace the antenna for free if you rang and asked - they gave me a returns number and I had the unit back within a week

Kritou said:
I'm certain Garmin would replace the antenna for free if you rang and asked - they gave me a returns number and I had the unit back within a week

Cheers - as it was 2nd hand I have no receipt so hadn't thought they would be interested. No harm in giving them a buzz though...............

Andres

Mouse said:
The main reason I discounted units like the 60C is that I want something that can display road maps and calculate routes, has a big track log, and a small physical size (unlike the 2610).

60C can use city navigator according to Garmin..............

Got a Quest that I bought for swmbo, its been on the bike twice :nenau ("its easier just to follow you dear" :mmmm )

V6 mapsource but unregistered so free upgrade available, will post pic,s later if intrested..

I,ve got the 60c and think it,s the mutts nuts :thumb (have I just lost a sale ) :D

Jon said:
60C can use city navigator according to Garmin..............
One of my mates runs Cn on his 60cs, no problem other than the 56mb memory being a bit small,

Shameless copy/paste...

GPS 60 Basic GPS Mapping, 1MB internal memory
GPSMAP 60 Greyscale display, 24MB internal memory
GPSMAP 60C Color display, 56MB internal memory
GPSMAP 60CS Color display, 56MB internal memory, electronic compass and barometric altimeter
GPSMAP 60Cx Color display, expandable memory
GPSMAP 60CSx Color display, expandable memory, electronic compass and barometric altimeter

I stand corrected about the 60C and maps :) 56MB is a bit small though, with a Quest I could just load everything once and forget about it.

Enabb, how much are you thinking of for that Quest?

I got lucky and picked up a Quest on eBay for £130, came with City Select v6 but like enabb the unit and mapping was unregistered so I got the free upgrade to City Navigator v8 for free. Mine was a little worn, stops me being too precious with it anyway, but is otherwise great.

Just to give you an idea; 56MB of useable memory and using City Nav. v8 would mean that you could fit in Wales for example or Bristol channel to Thames estuary (as far North as Letchworth and as far South as Haywards Heath) or everything North of Harrogate and what data there is for Ireland (not full coverage in v8). All figures calculated by Mapsource using City Nav. v8. Obviously CN v9 (due early next year) might be different.

With a Quest you can fit all of the UK plus a chunk of the French Northern coastal regions.

The GpsMAP 60c has virtually the same navigation screen/instructions as the Quest with out the sound but has now been discontinued in favour of the cx versions.This now means that they can be bought new for less than £200 .I have both models and would recommend the more rugged GpsMAP 60c for hand held and local navigation use despite its 56MB memory.

Dave

stupid question .....

..... but not knowing alot about these GPS gismos will the quest or quest 2 give you a grid ref also, just incase i find myself in another situation like this

P9210509.jpg

And be able yo find myself an an OS map unlike Trippy :rolleyes:

P9210493.jpg

or do i just get one of those Garmin Etrex things, at least it would match the bike :rolleyes:

xbootie said:
..... but not knowing alot about these GPS gismos will the quest or quest 2 give you a grid ref also

Yes :thumb*

If you hit the OK button it'll save where you are as a waypoint. The lat/long - or whatever format you've chosen/selected will be displayed on the screen.

Bit convoluted, but if you go into the "units setup" and change the location format to "British National Grid", then go back & select your waypoint, it'll then be in the format you want. Work out where you are then either change the format back to what it was, or leave it, your choice.

A very easy way (if you don't need it in lat/long) would be to leave it in national grid format, zoom right in and then just move the cursor off where you are. Soon as you do that, the very bottom of the screen displays the lat&long/national grid of where you are.

* RTM & play with it a bit :D

xbootie said:
..... but not knowing alot about these GPS gismos will the quest or quest 2 give you a grid ref also, just incase i find myself in another situation like this

This is my Quest screen set to show grid refs (btm right) :thumb

The 0.7 miles SE refers to how far the arrow is from your present location and which direction it is.

Attachments

• ScreenShot010.jpg
    ScreenShot010.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 59
Whatton said:

The 0.7 miles SE refers to how far the arrow is from your present location and which direction it is.
where exactly is 02:54pm then?

Whatton said:

Thanks :thumb Not being picky but do'nt you mean bottom left :D ;)

Back
Top Bottom