R1200GS so who’s scared?

Ralph

Always worried about dropping in water.

I had been leaving on borrowed time and have a couple of close calls.

What's the procedure for it you drown you bike.

Hit the kill switch then what??

Where's the best hitching points for both towing and being towed, better safe than sorry.

Ralph

No doubt this posting is by a bored troll, but for the benefit of those who haven't yet checked their toolkits, make sure you have a spark plug spanner in your toolkit before you go fording. They are not part of the later (2005 onwards) toolkits.

Before you go fording, extend the crankcase breather hose upwards inside the airbox, so that any water that does get sucked in, doesn't go into your crankcase.

A snorkel would be a good idea too :)

TOWING

re Towing,
I think it's the TRF who suggest that the best way for one bike to tow another is to tie the tow-rope to the off side foot-peg of the lead bike back to the near side foot-peg of the towed bike....... Does that make sense?

O/k I've now got a decent toolkit so i'm ready.
Going to try and find the breather.
Probably asking far a HA HA HA but are you serious about a snokel ??????

Thanks for the towing tip, should be a laugh trying.

Ralph

re Towing,
I think it's the TRF who suggest that the best way for one bike to tow another is to tie the tow-rope to the off side foot-peg of the lead bike back to the near side foot-peg of the towed bike....... Does that make sense?

Trying to visualise that, so without trying, won't the front wheel snag on the rope?

I've found it better to go once around the headstock then on to the right hand grip so it can be released quickly......

And yes, a snorkel if you're serious, as well as a breather on the final drive and seal the air box.

300px-DD-Tank.jpg

You guys are worrying me.

Right so I'm fitting a snorkel, extending the breathers, sealing the air box, got my plug spanner ,thought about sealing the panniers so it will float and finally air bag under the front.

Wish me luck!

I've found it better to go once around the headstock then on to the right hand grip so it can be released quickly......

And yes, a snorkel if you're serious, as well as a breather on the final drive and seal the air box.

Anyone got any pics of these mods?

Who flogs snorkels?

Ta.

I've got a great idea! Ride around the ford not through it thereby avoiding the risk of completely trashing your very expensive motorcycle! :D

Ralph
I went through these fords at the east midlands UKGSer meet with NO mods to my bike whatsoever. It was also my 1st time at fording and had it not been for the likes of Brian O and Val I probably would have avoided the lot...
Get out there, get it wet and have a ball:thumb

Attachments

• resize6.jpg
    resize6.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 446
  • resize5.jpg
    resize5.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 445
Is that a 650 in the second piccy ? We have a few fords around our way, nick has been through one or two, I have not, not had the bike long and so on, but when you walk through them they are sometimes quite slippery and this stays in my mind ref riding through them, would a bigger bike be safer as its much more heavier :nenau

I'd think twice aboout riding my MTB through a river - NEVER my pride and joy :nono

Hi Little Beemer

Yes it's a 650 in the second pic. Val and Jill lead the ride at the East Midlands UKGSer event and rode all the fords themselves, sometimes 2 up as the photo shows. The only advice i was given by Brian O was to always walk through the fords as sometimes the local farmers put barbed wire in them :eek: to deter the likes of us riding through them.....:spitfire

If you get a chance go and ride them it's a great laugh and buts a new perspective on riding the GS. As for the bigger bikes being better I'm not so sure about that. My 1150GSA went sidewards on one of the fords but I managed to keep it upright and ride out. The 650 went through them all with only 1 slight issue.....The bigger bikes had more problems than the 650. Have a look at the East Midlands page on the site, there are more pics there...

(you can see the video footage here http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687384032)

By the way

I learned fairly quickly that the only way to go through a ford is confidently.... Get up a fair pace and stick with it... The incidents:augie happen when you ride through too slowly.....:rob

Back
Top Bottom