Water getting in the tank

blackduck

As you may have read I have experienced a short period of poor performance from my GS 1100. This I am confident is due to water entering the fuel tank during bath time via the filler cap.
I wash the bike. I dry the bike. I open the cap to drain the water out of the keyhole and watch to my dimay as the water captured between the cap and the top of the neck and on the ledge below the cap drains into the tank.

Q1 The is a small hole in the top of the filler, on the ledge under the cap, is this meant to drain away the likes of water and if so where does it drain to? Mine seems clogged
Q2 I have only one rubber ring on the cap, is this correct?
Q3 How do I fix this little problem.

Thanks

Stephen

You are correct, the small hole is to drain away water (or fuel from over filling the tank). I had the same problem when my bike was new (1999). The dealer fixed it under warranty - apparently by pushing a welding rod down the drain pipe to clear the blockage. Not sure if they took the tank off first. The blockage was in the rigid metal pipe that passes from the filler, through the tank to the fuel pump mounting plate which it passes through. From there a rubber pipe takes the water/excess fuel down to exit by the RH footrest (alongside the tank breather pipe). Last time I filled up it was raining and I noticed that the water was not draining away so I suspect the metal pipe has corroded up again and needs another clear out.
Hope this helps.

had that problem with mine last weekend after I washed it (I know, stupid thing to do!).

Firstly, try blowing ou through with an airline - both ways, but you'll have to find out which rubber tube is the correct one!

If you undo the 8 (?) Torx screws (size 25 I think) around the filler cap, it lifts out with a little fiddling - it will remain attached by the rubber hoses for the water and overflow fuel.

Follow the metal pipe from the water drain hole and pull off the rubber hose. You can then blow out both parts separately.

Once that is clear, the hard bit begins - putting it back together!

Best to do all the above with the tank almost empty (DAMHIK!) as the O-Ring expands when in contact with fuel and won't reseat easily.

If really stuck, leave the O-Ring to dry/air overnight and it should be easier.

I managed to get mine back by sitting the filler assembly as flat as possible and gently tightening eack screw a fraction of a turn in sequence and the O-Ring popped into the groove OK.

Good luck,

Iain

keep it fixed

I had this same issue with my 97 1100GS. Ran the bike low on fuel and got a gallon of clean fuel to hand.

Take the tank off the bike bringing the small breather / drain pipes with it, remove the fuel pump plate on the right hand underside (no need to remove completely just enough to gain access to the insides of the tank). Shook out most of the fuel into a clean bucket and then mopped out the rest (ensureing that the remaining fuel is in that half of the tank) with copious cotton cloths (old t-shirts are ideal). Put the fuel pump plate back and tightened the small 8mm nuts uniformly.

Turn the tank over and blow out the drain hole that is probarbly blocked with an high pressure air line and the pipes.

Fit the tank back onto the bike and put a smear of vaseline under the key hole cover.

Never had a problem again but you do have to get all the contaminated fuel out of the tank, especially as the bike is fuel injected and is thus much more sensitive to water contamination of the fuel than carbs were.

:confused: You will be

Back
Top Bottom