service costs

gavin

Do BMW dealers adopt a menu pricing structure for service costs on bikes, or does each dealer charge different rates for the same job?. The reason i ask, is because i've been quoted 2 different prices for a 6k service, has anyone had a service lately, and how much did you pay? I also had to pay for the 600 mile service, which on previous (Japanese) bikes was free (labour).

There's a huge disparity in servicing costs between different dealers, mostly due to differences in their hourly labour rate. I'd expect to pay just over £100 for a 6000 mile service and around £200 for a 12000 - but my dealer is one of the more reasonably priced (my mate in Aberdeen paid £170ish for his 6k service, for instance).

You should pay for the oil & filter on your 600 mile service (as I had to on my last Honda), but not for labour. I think the 'free labour' only applies if you get it serviced at the dealer who supplied it, but I'm not sure.....

Mike:)

Mike O said:

You should pay for the oil & filter on your 600 mile service (as I had to on my last Honda), but not for labour. I think the 'free labour' only applies if you get it serviced at the dealer who supplied it, but I'm not sure.....

Yep, the bike has to be serviced at the dealer you bought it from for the 600miles. I didn't pay for oil or filter though. I believe that it is part of the price of the bike when purchased from new? or so I am led to believe. Maybe one of the dealer members could clarify?

So who is the cheapest on labour, anybody know. Let's say 6k service for a comparison.

Nick

On reflection, I can't remember whether I paid for the oil & filter at 600 or not. I know I did on my Honda....

my 600 mile service was £32 and that was for the oil and filter .
at rydales of cardiff at 1500 miles i queried the throttle balance which they checked and confirmed was out (no charge)
very helpful chappies!

If you get your 600 mile service done at the supplying dealer there should be no charge at all.If however you take it to another dealer they would expect to be paid for the full cost of the service, either by you or the supplying dealer.

My first service was done at the supplying dealer, and i was charged £80, i was made aware of this when i picked the bike up. Being new to BMW, i thought this was just another BMW oddity!

Service Costs

I just had my R1100GS serviced at Slocombes in North London. I had a 36,000 mile service, poly belt changed, fuel filter changed and free loan bike (new 600 Hornet) all for £300, I reckon that is pretty good (especially for London). They used to be BMW dealers and the guys there really know their stuff and do not rip you off by saying they do things that they don't actually do!

I've used them for about 8 years now and really rate them.

:D

!8,000 service

Just had my 1100GS done at South London Motors. The did the 18K service, a new indicator stalk and new rear disk pads. Cost me:

£128.96 labour
£35.59 Parts - ( Oil filter 8.68, Gasket £2.30,Protec???.56p. Linings19.58, stalk 4.74)
£12.00 Sundries
£20 semisynth oil

Total 196 plus VAT so 230.95 (includs £10 for the loan bike)

The Other Tim

Just had my 6000 on Friday.

Have not got the invoice in front of me but it was approx £100 for labour inclusive of VAT. That included fitting new rear tire.

Parts and tire were an extra £130 including VAT.

1st service was free except for oil etc.

When I had the RT the first service was charged for because I bought from a different dealer (I was not going to ride a 500 mile round trip just to save the labour cost!).

Overall costs for the RT were £1,083.07 for 600, 6000, 12000, 18000 mile services INCLUDING one front tire, one rear tire, fitting of Remus exhaust, fitting of Autocom, rewiring for sat nav, adding extra power sockets....

The petrol during the period came to £1500.

I think it also depends upon the dealer cause to add to that you need to include the number of things that have been done Free of Charge. The list is quite long....

However, if I look at the service costs for the SAAB 9-3 Aero Convertible over the same period with approximately the same mileage the costs were £515 including Oil and Parts and one bloody expensive low profile tire.

The bill for the Cooper S will be £100 over the first 3 years or 36,000 miles though at the rate I am going on that I will be lucky to reach the first service at 10,000 miles

Wot does it all mean, it means that they still have not got the maintenance package for motorcycles right yet....

Service costs

Booked in for 6,000 + annual at the same time, quoted £150 at Ocean, Plymouth Devon.
Which appears to be a good price, all explained and they reckon on an extra hour to carry out the annual, (replace brake fluid).
"Book it in for a weekend and come down to see us in the west country?" ask for Bill.
Gary.:beer:

Just got the Adv back from its 24k service at Lind. £221 including VAT. The dealer worked the price out on from a table (projected number of hours for various services/jobs) and then compared it with the hours actually spent on the job, then charged the lower price - just like my Audi dealer used to - progress, I reckon.....

Incidentally, I asked to 'sit in' on the service to learn a bit about the basics (valve adjustment, throttle body balancing etc). No problem, the tech talked me through everything he did (pointing out some interesting short-cuts and alternative methods) and certainly impressed with the professional and painstaking way he worked.

Still no wiser as to what's causing the disc warping, though. The pins were well lubricated and in good condiion, as were the (back & sides of the) pads (which were not wearing unusually). Hmmmm.....

Mike

DIY

Just done a 24,000 service on my 1100......................

Costs.......

Full service kit from Motor Works £52 (includes K&N filter)

Shell semi engine oil £17

Gear & axle oil £3

Time around 3 hours

these bikes are very easy to work on........ anyone who can do a service on a Mini (A series engine) will have no problems with a GS......:beer: :beer: :beer:

Self service

That was my intention,
But now there is a two year warrenty the bike has to be serviced at an approved dealer during that time.
Also my bike came from Sherlocks (via Holland, new) and they would only honour a years warrenty, but OCEAN at Plymouth say they are happy to adopt the bike and honour the two year warrenty.
Gary.

mine is due its 12k very soon and oceon sound promising, trying to talk the mrs into letting me spend a few days in plymouth though, is union street still a good night out?

600 mile service at Williams Manchester this week.

Taken round to meet the mechanic who was going to service the bike - to explain about the hesitation at steady revs (is this surging ? on a twin spark ?). Seems OK now.

No charge.

Didn't have to pay for petrol for loan bike although I didn't find this out till I returned the loaner and after I'd put some petrol in (Doh !).

Bike also washed - which was nice.

Just to clear up the 600 mile service issue, it should be totally FOC unless otherwise stated, I will refer to the 2003 BMW price list ( Part No 92.06.0.000.287)

'The first 600 miles (sic) service is free of charge only from the suppling dealer unless otherwise stated'

Back
Top Bottom