GPS for my father

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My father has been asking about a GPS for his car, and I've come across a tomtom one (v2) from Currys for 169.99

This looks a good price for a nice simple GPS - Dad will not be a power user :rob

Is this a good choice at the price, or is there better out there?

Whilst I am complete Garmin fan, I've used Tomtom and I think its easier and more intuitive for a non tech
Cheers,
Jimbo :beerjug:

Hi Jimbo,
I've been asked this a number of times by friends etc that are looking at getting a GPS.

The main difference I've always seen between Garmin and Tomtom is down to where you are intending to use the unit. I've got a quest as I use it in the car/on the bike and abroad. Its great, but no traffic update or postcode search can be a bit limiting, but you work with what you've got.

I bought the wife a Tomtom 300 as she would only be using it in the car and in the UK...

For that reason I think the Tomtom would probably be a good choice for you're old man, if he does choose to go further afield, he can always down load the maps he needs.

John

It will be car use only, Dad has a deep seated dislike of motorbikes. When 17 I announced that I was going to buy a bike and he agreed it wasn't his place to stop me. He then went on the say that who lived in his house was however his call and if I bought a bike, I would have to move out. I'm still not sure if if meant it, but I didn't test the theory. I was still rather nervous at the age of 30 telling him what I'd bought!

Jimbo,

Although I went for a Garmin 2720 for my own use because I think that TomTom don't measure up when it comes to using it on a bike, my own father (who's just turned 77!) bought a TomTom One earlier this year for use in his car and he's taken to it like a duck to water.

When I tried it out I found the user interface to be really easy to pick up and use, the GPS Receiver to acquire satellites quicker than my 2720 in the same circumstances, and both the screen and nav instructions easy to follow. For a little less money there's the Garmin i3 of course, but the screen's much smaller and as such is harder to follow with a quick glance (I know - my wife has an i3 for occasional car use). Overall, I'd say go with the TomTom One - I'm sure your dad will be very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom