MapSource v9

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just bought one of the lovely sub £200 Garmin 2610 units. Do I simply go ahead and load up MapSource v8 that came with it and wait until MapSource v9 comes out before registering? Will I get v9 after regitering then? Sorry if the question is very basic but.........! :thumb

my brother has just bought this also. the shop told him to load up and use but do not register untill.. the v9 is out and he would get the free v9 disc sent to him

If you take a look at the Garmin website it says about map updates -

FREE UPDATES:
If you ORIGINALLY & NEWLY unlocked a NEW locked MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product ON or AFTER the release date of an update for that same product, you are eligible to unlock on that specific update what you unlocked on the original for no charge. In other words, you can update to the latest data for free!

Note is says "unlocked", not "registered". You won't be able to use the maps that came with the GPS without unlocking them. I'm not sure, but by unlocking the maps now prior to release of v9, you may not be able to update to v9 free of charge?? :nenauI'd want to be certain on that point before unlocking the maps.

I assume you mean City Navigator V8 (ie the maps) not Mapsource V8 which is the program that creates routes, waypoints etc. Mapsource can be updated free of charge at any time.

When I first bought a GPS I didn't register the unit (not because I was being clever, I just forgot :eek: ) so I had been using the unlocked maps for about 7 months, before the latest version of City Navigator came out. I made sure that I registered the unit after the relevant date which was shown on the Garmin website, and got the latest maps free of charge. Obviously, you can only do this once. :thumb

Well that's as clear as mud :(

IV'e installed ( yesterday ) V8 disc and registered as it asked me to do , then put my maps on the flash card , will i get a free upgrade to latest mapping :confused: Or will i have to pay :(

James Burton said:
Well that's as clear as mud :(

IV'e installed ( yesterday ) V8 disc and registered as it asked me to do , then put my maps on the flash card , will i get a free upgrade to latest mapping :confused: Or will i have to pay :(

Doh! When it asks you to register just choose 'later' or 'cancel'. You can unlock the maps without registering.

There's a good chance you'll have to pay for the upgrade now. :(

Adam

:nenau im waiting (today Thursday) for my 2720 to arrive, now, will it have V8 or V9, when is V9 out. what is the difference? why not wait until V10 or V11.

Have a nice Bike picture :D

Attachments

• 270606.jpg
    270606.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 459
Onahi said:
:nenau im waiting (today Thursday) for my 2720 to arrive, now, will it have V8 or V9, when is V9 out. what is the difference? why not wait until V10 or V11.
The chances are that any new GPS you receive now will have City Navigator Version 8 - IIRC correctly there was mention of Version 9 being released at the end of the year (but I can't find that on the Garmin website) :nenau As long as you register the unit after the release date of Version 9 then Garmin will send you the latest version.

IIWY I wouldn't get too paranoid about having the very latest maps - after all how many roads have been changed in the last year or so? Eg we have just come back from a short blat to Belgium using City Navigator Version 7 maps and we didn't have a single problem. In fact, the only "errors" we found were 2 new roundabouts which did not appear on the GPS. I know its tempting to have the very latest maps etc, but how many of us still drive around with old road atlases? Feck my dad still has a road atlas in his car from the 1970's. :D

If I were buying a new GPS now, I certainly wouldn't register until after V9 came out and may even be tempted not to register it until Version 10 was out.

Not sure about the likes of models with removable memory but if mapping for your area is pre-installed then you can use this without registering. I'm under the impression the registering the mapping allows you to transfer mapping between Mapsource and the GPS, you can transfer routes etc prior to that.

My 2nd hand Quest1 (UK pre-installed) was over a year old when I purchased it, the previous owner had never bothered to register, I assume he/she never left the UK.

Bumpkin said:
Not sure about the likes of models with removable memory but if mapping for your area is pre-installed then you can use this without registering. I'm under the impression the registering the mapping allows you to transfer mapping between Mapsource and the GPS, you can transfer routes etc prior to that.

My 2nd hand Quest1 (UK pre-installed) was over a year old when I purchased it, the previous owner had never bothered to register, I assume he/she never left the UK.

Makes no difference whether it's pre-installed or not, you still don't have to register to unlock the maps - the code is in the box.

The only reasons you need to register the unit (not the maps) is for:
1. Warranty with Garmin should the unit pack up.
2. Second unlock code (same maps, different GPS unit).
3. To upgrade to the next version of maps for your GPS unit.

To give you an idea I bought my Quest 1 back in early 2004 with v6 City Select. I didn't register the unit until January this year so that I could upgrade to City Navigator v8 FOC. Basically I skipped v7.

Best analogy I can come up with is to think of Mapsource as the OS (like Windows XP for example) that controls the mapping software, say City Select v6 (like MS Word). You can then add further mapping, say City Navigator v8 (like MS Excel).

You can get online updates for mapsource online, for free and without registering (simliar to Windows Update except you have to register that).

Any questions at the back?

Adam :rob

Back
Top Bottom