"Ride" magazine group test

Shaunie

Reaction score
Has anyone else read this month's Ride magazine featuring a used group test of BMW R1100GS, Honda Varadero, Honda Africa Twin and Triumph Tiger?

The verdict? Quote "We'd pick the Varadero ...... The BMW's the best bike but holds it's value too well."

TOO well? Their argument being that for £4K you can choose between a 1994 GS or a 1999 Honda. The actual test bike they used was a 1998 GS with 63,000 miles (on original suspension) which they said was "almost immaculate."

Surely for £4K you want the best bike not the newest?
In another couple of years the beemer will still fetch reasonable money while the Honda will be almost worthless.

The actual road tests are very valid, with the pros and cons of each bike clearly stated however their conclusions are obviously flawed and IMHO ... suck !!!

There, rant over, I feel better now.

In my recent experience, buyers DO want the newest rather than the best. I still havnt shifted my 1100 after 2 ebays and lots of annoying postings on this forum. as well as having it on the web. http://uk.msnusers.com/densbmw The most offered on ebay was about £3500. If I hadnt lavished all my time and money on it to keep it immaculate it would still be worth the same value. The guy at Clarks never even bothered to have a look, just referred to the price guide. I stubbornly refused an offer of 4 grand ( yes, I regret it now) from one viewer. A common reply from potential buyers is " I can buy a early 1150 for the price you are after". Not according to RIDE you cant!. Does anyone know the difference between the prices bikes are advertised for and the price they are actually sold for? I did chuckle at the ride comment that virtually said that it was too good to take first place in their test.

I was pretty amazed when I got to the verdict! The test itself reads like a BMW advert. How come Ride, who normally review bikes from an ownership perspective, rather than a "thrash it for a week then hand it back" road test, can't see that the real cost of a bike is not what you pay for it, but how much you lose on resale? Or put another way, how much would a 5 year old Varadero with 63,000 miles be worth? They have a section in the review itemising annual running costs, yet no mention of depreciation!
So, to paraphrase the review, we've got the best bike, and it'll hold it's value better than the others. Bugger! :D

The test itself reads like a BMW advert
I dunno , Dennis, they knock the gearbox a lot...and i'd be a lot more tempted to look at the varadero considering the price/age thing too......tempted, tho not convinced!
;)

The thing that really cracked me up was them concluding that the Varadero's high fuel consumption didn't matter - after puting another article in the same magazine about saving money: "remember that 60mpg rather than 30mpg can mean a difference of £#### over a 10,000 mile year."

The VTR engine is a thirsty lump at the best of times - once you factor in the fuel consumption differences, the 1100GS becomes cheaper!

A few months ago in Bike, their second hand bike guru was bemoaning the depreciation on Varaderos in particular.
I guess you have to decide whether paying £4K on the Honda and getting next to nothing back after a couple of years is preferrable to buying the older GS and it still being worth a fair chunk of that after the same time.

I thought Ride were a bit hard on the Africa Twin.
It's a great all round bike -

PS Anyone want to buy a 2000 AT, 13 K miles full Honda service history, new chain/sprockets and brakes. Much loved but unridden since the Adv moved in.

Looks like Dennis Thomson's theory of people wanting newer bikes could be true.

'Bike' magazine listed the R1150GS as the best selling tourer so far this year.

But although they say 'closet tourer', is it really a tourer?

All rounder is surely more the case.

Den said:
In my recent experience, buyers DO want the newest rather than the best. I still havnt shifted my 1100 after 2 ebays and lots of annoying postings on this forum. as well as having it on the web. http://uk.msnusers.com/densbmw The most offered on ebay was about £3500. If I hadnt lavished all my time and money on it to keep it immaculate it would still be worth the same value. The guy at Clarks never even bothered to have a look, just referred to the price guide. I stubbornly refused an offer of 4 grand ( yes, I regret it now) from one viewer. A common reply from potential buyers is " I can buy a early 1150 for the price you are after". Not according to RIDE you cant!. Does anyone know the difference between the prices bikes are advertised for and the price they are actually sold for? I did chuckle at the ride comment that virtually said that it was too good to take first place in their test.

Sorry, 3 shots of tequila while winding my way down this thread. Couldn't help but crack up up over the fact that while Den was bemoaning how hard it is to sell his immaculate 1100, and how buyers actually "DO want the newest rather than the best", he himself replaced his 1100GS with an 1150. Thanks for the laugh, M8! :beer:

The only reason I bought a newer (second hand) 1150, was to give someone else the chance to own my wonderful 1100. I felt so selfish keeping it to myself. A bit like religion actually. I have converted Stef to the GS temple, (when he eventually comes up with the dosh) CMON STEF!!! and I am sure he will pass it on to some other convert when he has the calling to move on.
Actually, I was comparing both over the same route last night and the well used 1100 was noticably better at everything compared to the young un. Makes you wonder really

Getting There !

Nearly there DENNIS :D Ive got 75% of your asking price, and my remortgage has been approved so "hopefully" it should be soon, REAL SOON ! :bounce1

Of course if you were a nice guy you'd keep it for me :thumb

Other wise I'll need to buy the one from Moto-Cal :rolleyes:

~Stef~

Den said:
Actually, I was comparing both over the same route last night and the well used 1100 was noticably better at everything compared to the young un. Makes you wonder really

Sell the 1150!!

Yer a helluva guy, Den, working hard to spread the good word on 1100 :D

I ride a '99 1100 that I picked up used (19,000km) for less than half what the first owner paid for it new a couple years earlier. IMHO the 1150 is much cooler looking, but I've got no desire to shell out the megabucks it takes to get one. The 1100 does everything pretty much as well, and the lower gearing seems more suited to real world riding conditions -- lots of backroads, highway speed limit of 65mph. I also like the non-linked ABS brakes.

The guy that sold me my bike is a pretty small dude. He managed to drop the 1100 a couple times at walking speeds. But he replaced it with an adventure. I wonder how he's making out with that monster.:confused:

RIDE Magazine

Well I actually subscribe to the aforementioned editorial but I do not think I will be renewing, there are more typo errors and incorrect info than there is on the GS site.

Ride forgot one thing, you CAN go off-road with a GS whereas with the Honda lump its a definate no no.

63,000 mile GS £4500
63,000mile Varedero £ 2800 if you are lucky.

Never mind the year of the bike its the overall picture in this case.

Notice how the staff at RIDE are changing more often, and if you buy MCN regularly you've already seen most of what RIDE can offer. The formats the same year in year out .....boring.

Re: RIDE Magazine

The Mechanic said:
Notice how the staff at RIDE are changing more often

And what about Bike Mag? They seem unable to keep staff - it must be an awful place to work. As the only semi literate mag around that attempts to say something different its a shame. The two most most recent pieces by the two young shavers know as Ben, was practically unreadable.

Re: RIDE Magazine

The Mechanic said:
Well I actually subscribe to the aforementioned editorial but I do not think I will be renewing, there are more typo errors and incorrect info than there is on the GS site.

You've obviously not read any of Bakermans threads then!!!:D

Re: Re: RIDE Magazine

You've obviously not read any of Bakermans threads then!!!:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep all the time mate, better than Mr. Tickle or The Sun (comic).

While talking about prices for used - BIKE magazine this month had an article in the back about buying used bikes and concluded with something along the lines of: "BMW's R1150GS continues to be about as close to a depreciation-proof bike as it's possible to buy".

Back
Top Bottom