Fording or crossing areas of water!

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
Right, done the gravel riding bit earilier, but we recently experienced a new menace: the tiny mountain stream!.

Going one way I came up to the stream (about 2 mtrs wide and about 15cm deep!!) and just revved up and went through: no probs. 2 hours later we had to double back and so we crossed again. This time I remember that I took a slightly different root and we were all over the place!! Anyone watching would have seen my eyeballs almost popping out as the crossing, which felt like it last about an hour threw us this way and that: Not very dignified and we both had to laugh as our respective bottoms slowly unclenched!!

Crossed the same stream 2 more times with varying degrees of elegance.

So what is the nack? What should I look for? Smooth water? Evenly shaped stones? What about flooded sections of road? I'd rather not have to walk through each time, but then falling in a stream would make for a damp ride onwards!

Warthog said:
Right, done the gravel riding bit earilier, but we recently experienced a new menace: the tiny mountain stream!.

Going one way I came up to the stream (about 2 mtrs wide and about 15cm deep!!) and just revved up and went through: no probs. 2 hours later we had to double back and so we crossed again. This time I remember that I took a slightly different root and we were all over the place!! Anyone watching would have seen my eyeballs almost popping out as the crossing, which felt like it last about an hour threw us this way and that: Not very dignified and we both had to laugh as our respective bottoms slowly unclenched!!

Crossed the same stream 2 more times with varying degrees of elegance.

So what is the nack? What should I look for? Smooth water? Evenly shaped stones? What about flooded sections of road? I'd rather not have to walk through each time, but then falling in a stream would make for a damp ride onwards!

No 2 streams/rivers are the same.............therefore no 2 techniques are the same
Avoid still,dark water areas as it's usually deep, very deep

See where the current is 'eddying' and that is usually the shallowest

Walk it to see what's underneath.
Large rocks can be slippery and slimey, gravel beds to streams are the easiest.

When riding it.........stand up and keep your body fluid and your knees bent/articulated...that way you'll be able to absorb hazards/direction changes.
Basically let the bike do the work and find it's own way to a large degree

Personally I like streams like this.............as you can wheelie across and it keeps your feet dry :D :D :D (Cambrian Rally 1995)

Attachments

• Cambrian Rally 19951_WEB.jpg
    Cambrian Rally 19951_WEB.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 342

Back
Top Bottom