Stella Alpina Rally

Uhtred43

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've never done this before. Thnking of doing it this year (i.e. july 2007). where do i get details/entrance form and, anyone else interested.

Cheers

Rob

I should be going 2007 - I suspect a gaggle from here will as well. Tarka is a regular fer sure. Not sure when or how yet but more info will get posted nearer the time.

Second Sunday in July is the date but there are no entry forms or formalities - that's half the pleasure. Rollup, pitch yer tent, ride up a big hill with a load of others. Couldn't be simpler.

See who else chips into this thread and we'll see if we can get a proper posse sort of organised. If you have any plans yourself, then PM me or post them here and we can get the ball rolling........

LC

Me and the long suffering other half are doing it as well... third time lucky as we have had to cancel it the two previous years. :)

I`ll be there...dunno if on one of my GS`s or my Guzzi yet.

The 'main day' is the second Sunday of July.

The main meeting place is the railway station bar in Bardonecchia.

Possibly due to the 23hr bar which only closes for an hour to clean up and re-stock :beerjug: :beer: :D

See ya there :thumb2

It's getting closer....

So do we have a definitive list of who is going :) ?

Need some tips, of a route from the East Midlands starting the wed before. Finding it hard to work out the best route, that get's us there in shortest time with not a lot of peage or Autoroute

A mate of mine has moved to Switzerland in the last 4 weeks and now he's settled he has sent me this link http://www.stellaalpina.co.uk/ . He's thinking of crossing the border using his KLR600 and having discussed it with SWMBO it appears I may have a pass out to go on my F650GS:thumb . Never been before and the thought of all those road miles strangling the poor little bike doesn't appeal but it's an opportunity not to be missed. Only thought about it today so no firm plans as yet so lets see if any of the experienced travellers can give any tips:bounce1 .

Cheers-Tony.

I`ll be there,defo.

Just don`t know what bike to go on this year.....:p

Grazoid......look at a fecking map and work it out,fercrissakes.
You`re starting to sound like one of these 1200 riding GPS lemmings,asking for a route. :D

I`ll be there,defo.

Just don`t know what bike to go on this year.....:p

You`re starting to sound like one of these 1200 riding GPS lemmings,asking for a route. :D

You is picking on me , you is..... :D

I`ll be there,defo.

:jes

Was there in 1995... (R1100RS) always said I'd be back ;)

mmmmmm

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

See you all there, I'm not on the GS this year as I'm taking my Pogo in the back of the camper and will be arriving from the south. Gonna go and play in the hills for a few days. :D

Should be at the railway station Sat evening :beerjug:

Hi Tony,

Still up for it?

Cheers,

Bal.

A mate of mine has moved to Switzerland in the last 4 weeks and now he's settled he has sent me this link http://www.stellaalpina.co.uk/ . He's thinking of crossing the border using his KLR600 and having discussed it with SWMBO it appears I may have a pass out to go on my F650GS:thumb . Never been before and the thought of all those road miles strangling the poor little bike doesn't appeal but it's an opportunity not to be missed. Only thought about it today so no firm plans as yet so lets see if any of the experienced travellers can give any tips:bounce1 .

Cheers-Tony.

See you all there, I'm not on the GS this year as I'm taking my Pogo in the back of the camper and will be arriving from the south. Gonna go and play in the hills for a few days. :D

Lightweight :D ...I dunno all the references I see to peeps being irritated by "tossers on crossers" will be true this year... well one Tosser on a Crosser :)

As we will be heading from Derby on an R1100GS and an F650GS , I think anyone going the "shorter" distance from Leicester will be okay ;) .

We are heading out the Wednesday before and will be camping en-route to save spondoolicks. Possibly somewhere about 100 miles from Calais the first night and possibly Dijon for the Thursday as we know if it will be hot it takes a day or two to acclimatise after last years heat wave meaning our first day in France , meant travelling half the distance we wanted to due to heat exhaustion!

So any advice on good touring sites en-route greatfully received. Currently plowing through the Michelin Campsite guide and on-line.

will be camping en-route to save spondoolicks. .

You won`t actually save very much compared to using Formula 1`s or Hotels Premiere Classe mate,and there`s no pissing about pitching tent/breaking camp just for an overnight stop either.

You won`t actually save very much compared to using Formula 1`s or Hotels Premiere Classe mate,and there`s no pissing about pitching tent/breaking camp just for an overnight stop either.

Hmm.. the mythical F1's. I dunno if it is the fact that we like to stay on the local routes and off peages where possible , or the parts of France we have stayed in ,in the past , but never ever seen one. Loads of campsites advertised from the main roads , no Chambres d'Hotes or F1's or Logis etc.

Last year we stayed in three hotels in different parts of France, and were advised at two of them to completely empty luggage off the bikes as we had to park in the street. One in Orleans actually had a secure underground carpark , which was a godsend. As we were doing a mix of fast trip down to stay with Jules's sister in the Pays Basque , then a couple of days at a motocamp in the Dordogne we had camping gear with us.

That is the main bugbear , taking the tent,stove, kipbags and sleepmats off every night is a right pain. Taking them off to use takes just as long as lugging them into a hotel room and back down again in the morning. And before you say owt , you softy ciderdrinker :D , we are likely to be staying up at the Rifugio the night before to get a head start up the Col :) Then off to find another motocamp for a few days.

We like motocamps, they are like summer long rally sites, Moto Camp Dordogne was so like a rally last summer, there was even a drunken brummie whinging at two in the morning... wonder why that is?? For years every rally I have ever been to always seems to have someone with a brummie accent whinging about something or other in the early hours when everyone else is trying to get to sleep :)

We are heading out the Wednesday before and will be camping en-route to save spondoolicks. Possibly somewhere about 100 miles from Calais the first night and possibly Dijon for the Thursday as we know if it will be hot it takes a day or two to acclimatise after last years heat wave meaning our first day in France , meant travelling half the distance we wanted to due to heat exhaustion!

So any advice on good touring sites en-route greatfully received. Currently plowing through the Michelin Campsite guide and on-line.

Me and my mate are also crossing from Dover on the Wednesday, and aiming to camp en route. Had planned on just finding campsites as we go along, but would also be pleased to hear about any recommended sites.

Also, anyone know any decent campsites near the town at at Bardo? Had one recommended that looks good http://www.bokki.it/ but it's apparently 2 or 3 miles walk into town to take refreshment....

STELLA

Noddy

Where abouts are you gonna go play in the hills this time. Will it be similar to 2005 some of the Cols around Sestrie and Bardonechia.

Are you also toying with staying at the same b&b.

Simon

Where abouts are you gonna go play in the hills this time. Will it be similar to 2005 some of the Cols around Sestrie and Bardonechia.

Thats the general plan Simon, plus a few more that I have a route plan for in the area or not too far away.

Was planing on using the camper to sleep in but if the govnor decides she dosn't want to stay in the south then probably the same place. Good there wasn't it.

Was planing on using the camper to sleep in but if the govnor decides she dosn't want to stay in the south then probably the same place. Good there wasn't it.[/quote]

Very nice place, a good find and not too expensive from my memory.

Back
Top Bottom