2610 vs QUEST

Steve101

Right I have to open the floor to everyone on my personal dilema! (The doctor said I could get some cream for it!)

So the question is, I have a Quest and I am looking at changing / upgrading. I really like the operating system of the Tom Tom but I am put off by the bad reports.

Then there is the 2610 which seems to be a favourite out there right now. So should I consider changing???

Depends,

1) Are you going to do a tour of Europe?
2) Do you like to plan routes on the PC and then transfer them onto the GPS?
3) Do you need to be able to use the GPS off the bike and when your not near a mains plug.
4) Is the money burning a hole in your pocket?

Well ...

I'm a big fan of the Quest having used one for the last year or so .... but that didn't stop me from buying a 2610 now they're less than 200(*) :D

I reckon there really isn't that much difference between the two units - well, y'know some of the more modern Streetpilots have bluetooth, full postcode searching and proximity alerts for cameras :spitfire which would probably be considered more of an update. Between the Quest and the 2610 it's more a lifestyle and use thing ... the Quest has batteries, the 2610 has a bigger touch sensitive screen (there's plenty of comparison sites and even threads on here). They both come with around 256Mb ... the 2610 can be extended easily to 2gb but the Quest can still hold a significant amount of routes.

In six months time - you won't be able to get a 2610 for the price they're going for now ... mainly cause they've been discontinued(**) .. but if i want to sell either unit i reckon i won't have lost too much money :cool:

J

(*) And I think it'll look cooler mounted to my 1150GSA. The Quest looked the part though mounted to my (now sold) 1150R.
(**) Same thing happened with the Quest - prices remained high (after some shops flogged the at under 200 quid as well :D ) - not that it was discontinued just the Quest 2 may have had a few problems.

for use on the bike it would be the 2610 everytime, in the car/for work the quest, walking the quest, mixture of bike & car 2610

Get the 2610. Use your second unlock from the Quest to load the maps. Delay your map registration of your new CN8 until CN9 is available. That'll be less than £140 for a new toy :D

I have a Quest 1 and a 2610.

The Quest has some useful things that the 2610 doesn't have but for a bike like a GS, the 2610 wins hands down.

Grab a new one for £199 - bargain :thumb

Al :D

Do you think the 2610 will be cheaper in one of the many forthcoming sales?

Are there any plans to bring out an updated model, eg the GXR 1400 (plus an extra plastic bit for much more cash)
same model but half the price for the old one :confused:

(they do say a yorkshirman is a scotsman with all the generosity squeezed out of him) :D

Wow. Good responses.

Well I use the Quest on the bike most of the time. On the odd occasion it migrates to the car. Recently the other half has been using it in the car for work hence the money burning my pants!

Europe is always on the books you'd have to be mad not to go there it's so close!

With my routes I just tend to press and go from the bike but on occasions do a little bit of planning. Mains is always a handy option eh?!?

So food for thought there. I do like the look of the GPSW bundle. It made my little eyes twinkle like a child in a sweetie shop!

Is there anyone out there that has experienced the pro's a cons??

PM me if you want to come and have a look at my 2610,I'm in Blandford.
Tony

One aspect that hasn't really been mentioned yet is that the limited fixed memory of the Quest is an issue if you're planning any major Continental touring as the bigger map tiles in City Navigator v8 mean that you can only load a route to say Barcelona and back via the the same tiles. If you wanted to do UK > Barcelona and back by a different route over a majority of tiles not used on the out leg you'd be out of memory. I and a few other Quest owners have complained to Garmin about this but I very much doubt that CN v9 will have the smaller map tiles as seen it City Select.

In City Select v6 I could plot extensive circular routes and not exceed the 243MB of available memory.

The 2610 with CF expandability is a better bet if going on long tours.

Bumpkin said:
One aspect that hasn't really been mentioned yet is that the limited fixed memory of the Quest is an issue if you're planning any major Continental touring as the bigger map tiles in City Navigator v8 mean that you can only load a route to say Barcelona and back via the the same tiles. If you wanted to do UK > Barcelona and back by a different route over a majority of tiles not used on the out leg you'd be out of memory. I and a few other Quest owners have complained to Garmin about this but I very much doubt that CN v9 will have the smaller map tiles as seen it City Select.

I've just done U.K. through Spain to Valencia, along the coast to Barcelona, up to Andorra, into France, Millau Bridge and back to England with a quest.

This was the first time that I have ever used a GPS on a Euro tour. Great bit of kit, and no problem with the amount of maps that you can get onto it.

I hummed and hahhed for ages before buying............Good luck..... :thumb :)

Talltony thanks for the offer of that as I'm not a million miles away in Wareham!

The memory is going to be an issue when I venture overseas again. One thing I have noticed is the sat aquisition times in comparrision with say the TTR and the timeit takes to plan certain routes. Is the 2610 quicker??

Steve101 said:
Talltony thanks for the offer of that as I'm not a million miles away in Wareham!

The memory is going to be an issue when I venture overseas again. One thing I have noticed is the sat aquisition times in comparrision with say the TTR and the timeit takes to plan certain routes. Is the 2610 quicker??
ive got a 2610 with a 2gb card loaded with all mapsource europe.just set it and go. 100% great its taking me to places i would never of found using maps,it takes the agro out of touring :clap :clap :clap

ash19600 said:
ive got a 2610 with a 2gb card loaded with all mapsource europe.just set it and go. ...
How long did it take you to download all of Europe? I bought a 2Gb card planning to do just that, but the timer was saying that it would take 5 hours (and getting longer) :confused: to download it all. I think in the end I just downloaded about 5 countries.

2610 or TomTom? The 2610 would get my vote, as it really is a cracking bit of kit. The ability to plan routes / times etc on the PC swings it for me every time. :thumb

Does a 2610 have a postcode search facility?

Is it waterproof?

Mike

MIKE R said:
Does a 2610 have a postcode search facility?

Is it waterproof?

Mike

Not full Uk ie will do BB5 1 and misses out the 2 + 3 IYSWIM

It's water proof to a certain standard, which I can't remember. :eek: On a bike, effectively yes.

MIKE R said:
Does a 2610 have a postcode search facility? Is it waterproof?
You can use the postcode to narrow down a search, but you can't search on postcode alone. Eg the unit will find you say twenty Waterloo Roads in the UK, but using the SA33 1 part of the postcode will narrow it down to just 1. :thumb

I'm sure I've read somewhere in the manual that the 2610 could withstand up to 30 minutes in a bucket of water. If you're GPS is going to be under water for more than 30 minutes - then you have far more important things to worry about. :D :D

jonnie comet said:
I've just done U.K. through Spain to Valencia, along the coast to Barcelona, up to Andorra, into France, Millau Bridge and back to England with a quest.
Not sure if you got to Spain by boat (Portsmouth > Bilbao?), even if you didn't I've just plotted a route from Banbury using the stops you've suggested and it uses, in the main, the same tiles both ways.

Try doing the same but instead of returning from Valancia via Andora and Millau try Monaco > Bern > Luxembourg > Banbury. That takes up 348MB which exceeds the memory capabilities of the Quest by quite a margin.

Conversely doing the same route using City Select V6 (I don't have v7 but imagine the results would be similar) only takes up 121MB which fits into the 243MB available on the Quest with no problem.

By having the far bigger map tile sizes in the current City Navigator means that you're including a lot of off-route data that you don't need. Using the smaller tiles you can add off-route tiles where you think you may want to explore giving more control to the user. Sorely tempted to get one of the 2610s currently on offer but SWMBO would kill me.

Garmin's comment on the issue
Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

We have not yet received any software for version 9 so I currently cannot
tell you. Chances are it will be similar to V8 as it makes the navigation
easier and smoother on the units having the mapping tiles larger.

I use my Quest on bike,car and also MTB! That's soemthing you can't do with a 2610.

I also just thought the 2610 looked crap :nenau

Back
Top Bottom