PDA

View Full Version : Help recommend a first bike...

DrAlf
05-11-06, 16:48
A mate of mine has just turned 30 and has decided that he wants to get into bikes. He’s asked me to recommend a first bike for him but has not really given me much information – he really doesn’t know anything about biking. It mustn’t be a sports-bike, main use will be around the city with occasional longer trips and the budget is about £1500. He’s about 6’ tall and average build. Mechanically inept :(

I was thinking an old transalp, XT600\XTZ660 or maybe a really early F650 Funduro.

Anyone get any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

gpsonaPan
05-11-06, 18:47
If he's only "decided that he wants to get into bikes". I would suggest he learns to ride first. If he can't get that far then it's academical which bike he should get. :P

There are Chinese bikes coming onto market, but most seem to be Cruiser type. A littlle 125 "harley Clone" new on the road for about 1250. :eek

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

Pat

carsqhere
05-11-06, 19:42
A mate of mine has just turned 30 and has decided that he wants to get into bikes.

I was thinking an old transalp, XT600\XTZ660 or maybe a really early F650 Funduro.

Anyone get any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

If he can find one under budget, might I suggest a Honda CB500? My wife bought one, & loves it. I had to spend a fortnight commuting on it & I can vouch that it's a cracking city bike that's capable of A road cruising & the occasional bit of motorway work. I expect the faired model would be better at the long haul stuff. It's punchy, nimble, cheap to run, & has a bulletproof motor. Simple to maintain for the mechanically inept. She's dropped hers a couple of times (Renntec engine bars are the biz) and spares are easy to get & cheap.

Assuming he's going the CBT route, an early Bandit Six would be a good starter too, albeit more expensive to run/drop. Plus it wont have that stigma of "first bike" about it.

Andy Higgins
29-01-07, 21:32
Got a Honda CB500 for sale if it helps?

DavidHale
29-01-07, 21:34
My first 18mths of biking were on a CB500, and it was perfect. Used around town, bit of distance, out on Sundays, etc.
Cracking bike! :thumb2
Size wise it should be ok as well - I'm 6'3" and it wasn't too small.

Schtum
29-01-07, 21:35
My 24 year old son recently did Direct Access and bought himself a Hornet 600. Given his experience and level of ability it seems like a good choice.

Andy Higgins
29-01-07, 21:43
I only past my test in October and was just looking for something to get me out and about and get some miles under my belt before upgrading in spring, i have to say the CB is fantastic. Everyday i take it out i get more confidence and it loves little twisty roads! Even the motorwy at 85-90 is bearable but not for long distance, cruising on the motorway at 70-75 is a doddle, actually i think my bike likes it!

Gave it a wash this afternoon, just to get the salt and crud from the weekend off the exhaust downpipes because they can rust easily if not kept clean. I would highly recommend it as a first bike although i understand why people might opt for the likes of the Hornets, although the CB can do anything the Hornet could and the CB even has it's own race category, the starting point of many of the stars we see today.

Actually the more i think about it, the more i want to keep it to tear along the little welsh roads when i start feeling the little horns poking out of my head on a sunny morning!!!!!!