Help Needed HP2

GSpot 1200

Hello all.

I am rebuilding my HP2 with WP 48mm usd front fork,

GDS triple tree, GPR V2 damper and all.

But....I want radial brakes on the bike, and the fork ends

from KTM 950 Supermoto fits right on.

The question is, how will it affect handling, if the front fork is directly on top of the axle, on the HP2 now, the wheel is mounted a little in front of the fork.

can anybody spread some wisdom on this matter.

I have noticed that, it is mainly off road bikes that have

the wheel in front of the fork...why ?

Thank you all

jan

and, I will post pics, as I move on in the build.

GSpot 1200 said:
can anybody spread some wisdom on this matter.

I have noticed that, it is mainly off road bikes that have

the wheel in front of the fork...why ?

dunno about wisdom, but i guess it's to allow more travel while keeping a sensible trail.

shouldn't someone swapping forks about have a decent understanding of the effects?

If the wheel spindle is straight below the forks,as opposed to being in front of them,the bike will steer and turn in a lot faster than it did before.It will also make the wheelbase shorter,so it will move the CofG backwards as well.It depends on the rake of the fork yolks,how much trail you have before and after!

The wheel spindle was in front of the fork legs originally to get more travel from the suspension,without gaining massive ammounts of height,and keep the CofG at a sensible height,but some companies use it to gain wheelbase while keeping the rake/trail at a decent setting.

Just bolt it all together,you'll soon find out if it's right or wrong,just make sure that the wheel doesn't hit the engine on full bump.

If that all makes sense,one of us is drunk :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom