Starcom mounting pics please.

rickyxsara

Reaction score
I am interested in the starcom set up for bike to bike .I would appreciate any pics and recent comments about the system itself. Thanks. :cool:

We have a Starcom rider/pillion system fitted - works ever so well no issues at all at any speed a GSA can get up to, if I had to pick a fault it would be the plugs on the leads are quite small and can be fiddly- buy a spare!

I have a Starcom on my GS12 and it just sits under the toolkit with the leads coming up behind the riders seat and poking out between the two. Easy to connect and disconnect for both. Power leads go direct to battery as it only turns on once the riders connector is plugged in. Only problem I have is bad wind noise coming through from the missus's helmet on the back. Anyone else suffer this? Think it is just the helmet shape as it is very open at the front for a fullface and she is obviously sitting in more direct wind being higher at the back. Was thinking of building a small airdam from foam to add to the bottom to stop the wind. She has no problem as my BMW helmet is very closed in around the neck and chin.

radios

hi, we have starcom units on our bikes and we have motrola radios. which on one bike we have it in the tank bag (r1200gs) and on the other we have it in a padlock bag attached to the rail on the side of the bike (f650gs). you could also buy these types of bags in outdoor walking shops. hope this helps:)

I fitted a Starcom Advance (NEC purchase) a couple of weeks ago for Sat Nav, phone ipod etc. My only complaint is the length of the cables supplied. Mine is fitted to the back of the fuel tank above the battery and I have the bulkhead fixing kit attached to one of the frame rails on the left of the bike. The cables are long enough to reach front to back of the bike and as such once fitted the handfull of spare cable has to be stuffed underneath the tool kit tray.
I think I will ask Santa for a 2 way radio - any suggestions welcome.

I have the Starcom intercom unit and have had no problems with it what so ever, wind noise isnt a problem but you can buy Motrax wind skirts that fit on the bottom of a full face helmet to reduce wind noise, tried and tested they do work but sometimes fall off, gaffer tape soon sorts it out :p

Since buying my GS though i'm still looking for places to fit my Starcom unit as there is'nt much room under the seat, looks like the tool roll is gonna be moved to a new home :p

I havent used a bike to bike radio with it so cant comment on how good those are though, sorry :nenau

GSwadd said:
I have a Starcom on my GS12 and it just sits under the toolkit with the leads coming up behind the riders seat and poking out between the two. Easy to connect and disconnect for both. Power leads go direct to battery as it only turns on once the riders connector is plugged in. Only problem I have is bad wind noise coming through from the missus's helmet on the back. Anyone else suffer this? Think it is just the helmet shape as it is very open at the front for a fullface and she is obviously sitting in more direct wind being higher at the back. Was thinking of building a small airdam from foam to add to the bottom to stop the wind. She has no problem as my BMW helmet is very closed in around the neck and chin.
Try one of these from Busters £9.99 and cut down alot of wind noise, does make misting a problem but treating the visor will stop this.
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=HSKIRT

ChasMill said:
I fitted a Starcom Advance (NEC purchase) a couple of weeks ago for Sat Nav, phone ipod etc. My only complaint is the length of the cables supplied. Mine is fitted to the back of the fuel tank above the battery and I have the bulkhead fixing kit attached to one of the frame rails on the left of the bike. The cables are long enough to reach front to back of the bike and as such once fitted the handfull of spare cable has to be stuffed underneath the tool kit tray.
I think I will ask Santa for a 2 way radio - any suggestions welcome.

I have since been told by Wapping that I have lashed my Satrcom to the place where the service handbook is supposed to be stored. It even has a rubber band to hold it in place. I used a couple of the velcro pads and siliconce spacers as well to secure / protect the casing against and scratches. Seems to work fine and the seat goes back on without drama.

Hello Rickyzsara. I've also got a Starcom and its fitted to a 1150 same as yours except its the stealth silver (Graphitane) colour.

I find that the plug/socket connections to the box are a nuisance and have resorted to binding them all with copper wire to stop them shaking loose.

I made acouple of brackets and mounted the box on top of the air filter box. Wired through a fuse directly to the battery as it disconnects when the helmet is unplugged. Pictures attached are prior to wiring the plugs to the unit.

I had to modify the power supply plug as it was too long originally and it was simpler than changing the brackets.

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 455
Neat Starcom Mounting...

This is the way I did it...

Cut a piece of 6mm thick polycarbonate to fit the space on top of the airbox. Drilled holes to allow Starcom to be attached via zip ties. Used self-adhesive Velcro to attach polycarbonate to airbox lid.

I also used the externally mounted Starcom sockets to neaten things up.

GJ

Attachments

• starcom.jpg
    starcom.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 465
Glynn, excellent pics mate and i appreciate it. Haven't yet bought it as waiting to Chrimbo is over. Do yuo also have a radio for bike to bike. Thanks, Ricky.

Nah, no bike-to-bike. I have got no friends to talk to :tears

Back
Top Bottom