Round the Bend or Round the Country?

rdover

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan my big trip in celebration of 40 years on the planet.

The basic plan is to ride the entire coast of mainland UK in less than 7 days Starting in Glasgow and heading clockwise.

Rules:
1. Route will include most northerly, southerly, easterly and westerly points
2. Also John O'Groats and Land's End
3. whilst not anally sticking to every little coastal road, the route will follow the coast fairly tightly.
4. Accomodation will be mostly travelodge type but I may consider camping as well.
5. I am trying to include IBA challenges to include SS1000 (my second) and a BB1500.

Dates.
I'm looking at early June 2007, ie befoer school holidays, with best chance of decent weather and long daylength.

I have a bad habit of riding very very long distances in 1 hit and by having a structure I will prevent either burnout or death during the early stages. I'm looking at a possible group of 3-5 (GringoRojo is interested which leaves max 3 places) bikes, not limited to any type but must be capable of keeping up with my 12GSA. Despite the danger of not meeting up, I'd also look at having people join for a day or 2 along the way.

Not wanting to be cheeky, however I am a pushy sod on trips like this an can be 100% single minded and anyone stupid/crazy enough to join me must appreciate that I'll not stop for fags, grub, pee breaks unless planned in or impossible to ignore. I have a technique that works for me and, whilst very flexible, demands a lot of commitment and dedication.

I'll be doing it as a fund raiser as well and Gringo and I have thought about getting sponsorship for soome of the obvious expenses. No limits are being set for participants but remember that tyres, servicing and fuel alone may cost as much as £1,000, not to mention accomodation. I'm doing this because I want to and not for any other reason. I'd just go and do it without any other fluff and nonsense but it's too good a fundraising idea to ignore.

If you're interested then pm me.

I've got the basic route planned on Mapsource and it runs to 3,312 miles taking in the following points

Starting in Glasgow (cos that's where I live!)
Kilchoan point - UK/Sco most westerly
Applecross - UK highest road
Durness - top left corner
Dunnet Head - UK/Sco most Northerly
John O'groats - Top right corner
Peterhead - Sco most Easterly
Lowestoft - UK/Eng most Easterly
Dover - Bottom right corner
The Lizard - UK/Eng most Southerly
Land's End - bottom left corner & UK/Eng most Easterly
St David's - Wales most Easterly

Total distance - 3312 miles planned over max 7 days riding

Without doing the mad 100 mile stuff here are the stats for the route

Route distance time
1 GLA to John O'Groats 661 09:58:29
2 John O'groats to Skeggie 768 13:35:27
3 Skegness to Bournemouth 543 09:36:39
4 Bournemouth to Newport 611 10:13:46
5 Newport to Annan 418 07:01:14
6 Annan to 1HOME 253 04:25:02
UK COASTAL ROUTE 3254 2 days 7:57:26

Other ideas include 100 miles as a first hit round Scotland followed by a shorter day

The plan is solidifying. Gringo seems to be up for it (even teh first 1k miles in 24 hrs) and a couple of Foccers are nibbling as well.

I have pencilled in the first 10 days of June 2007 as favourite and if an SS1000 is done from Glasgow over to St Andrews (~1100 miles) then the whole escapade should take 6 days (1 x 1,000 and 5 x 500) with and extra day for bad weather punctures/ sh1t happening.

I'd like some company if only to keep me sane but a max of 5 allows for some dropping of the pace (for any reason) and not being left all alone. There are ideas about getting sponsorship and doing fundraising so anyone interested should pm me soon so we can plan it [reasonably] precisely and then get sorted fundraising etc (for those who want) and practiced in plenty of time.

I have an empty over Xmas adn might just be persuaded to do Glasgow - Lochgilphead - Inverary - Oban - Fort William and back as a taster and anyone is welcome to join in.

I've opted to raise some cash for Multiple Sclerosis Scotland for a number reasons. Firstly a very close friend has MS (very badly) and receives a lot of help and support from MSS and SCotland has the world's highest incidence of MS so has the most need for support from the likes of us.

Anyone coming along for the ride is welcome to help raise funds for MSS or for their own choice or not at all but I feel it's better to stick to one charity for simplicity's sake.

Best of luck with this adventure and hope you are successful as it's for a good cause.

Schultz

Thanks for that. I've done the draft route and it's not an easy task to say the least. Even after doing 1000 miles in the first 24 hours, we're having to average 500 miles a day.

Should be tough but fun.

The Round the Bend Tour 2007 -
a shameless begging letter from Richard Dover and Alan Hill

We are, as you probably know, mad as brushes so it will come as little surprise that we’re planning a rather unusual trip. We plan to ride around the coast of the UK on our bikes at the beginning of June 2007.

OK, now we’ve got your attention we should say that the bikes have engines but we are planning on doing the whole 3,500 mile trip in 7 days including over 1,000 miles in the first 24 hours and picking up some interesting landmarks on the way. We have a few excuses for doing this the main one being “We want to”, however the best reason is to raise some funds for charity.

We have set a target of £2,500 for each of two MS charities, MS Society Scotland and Revive Scotland. We have set up a website and 2 ‘justgiving.com’ pages for those interested to donate some money to these worthwhile causes. We would be extremely grateful if you could visit our website and give a little (or a lot, of course) to both charities.

www.roundthebend.org.uk

www.justgiving.com/rtb07msscotland

www.justgiving.com/rtb07revivesco

Please pass this email to anyone you think may be interested in helping our fundraising effort or who could give us a little direct support on our trip.

Thanks

Richard and Alan

Muppet, what a ride! I doff my cap to you.

The real reason for dragging poor Alan along is to stop me doing what you did! I have a habit of obsessing on these things and going just a little too far.

I planned 6 days but Alan, quite rightly, insisted on 7 so we can enjoy it and remember most of the trip as well. The trip up the West Coast is amazing and I'm lucky enough to do it regularly using the excuse that I have to visit customers in Thurso.

In the first 700 miles there is less than 50 miles of dual carriageway and over 200 miles of single track road. At one point the GPS says "from unnamed road, turn onto unnamed track for 37 miles" ..... Doing the whole thing in 7 days will still be a challenge but 4 days?

Phew

Latest Update

Motorrad Central of Glasgow are supporting the ride with a free service for me!

Ride-On Motorcycles (also of Glasgow), Yamaha Dealers are also supporting us.

Thanks guys, it's much appreciated.

Now we've all accommodation, servicing and fuel sorted.

I've updated the site with photos, finalised route maps and a wee article from a local rag. BTW I'm not 40 yet, not am I a Chemist and we don't have a green message but apart from that .....

www.roundthebend.org.uk

'ard, just checking that you're doing this on the GSA and not in the 6x6 Volvo thingummy? Best of luck and no I wouldn't try and keep up, whichever vehicle you're on/in!

dunard

Hmmm, there's an idea. Top speed 55mph, 0-55 in under 3 minutes (downhill) but has toilet, cooker, fridge & bed.

GSA it is then :thumb :thumb

Just waiting for the weather to improve to drag the others on a test run to Applecross for lunch and back.

We've just done our test run and I think the others are a bit wobbly :eek: but are getting it together with yet more practice (any excuse).

I dug out a wee article I wrote a while a go but never submitted but with a bit of freshening up it gives an bit of insight into the mindset necessary for a trip such as this.

Saddlesore1000 - Are you mad?
It's a harsh reality of this route that it is more than simply a long run on difficult roads, it is almost unachievable. You need to be a good enough rider, confident in your and the bikes ability and a good dollop of luck. Chris, who started off with me, made the classic error of fitting a new tyre the day before and not testing it and had a mechanical problem and dropped out after 30 miles at Tarbert. I dropped the bike at Plockton not once but twice (lifted it up and it fell over the other side!) but no damage bar a bash on the tank and a broken GPS speaker cable neither of which was mission critical.

I was incredibly lucky. The weather was dry and cool without much mist or fog. The traffic was light and I don't remember hitting huge amounts of roadworks. I didn't get lost, run out of fuel, need the loo every 30 minutes or have even the slightest mechanical hiccup. Would I be so lucky if I were mad or stupid enough to try it again? Possibly, but I know I pushed too hard at times but I did not know what lay ahead so could not take the risk that I could make up time later. Every corner was a mental exercise in "smooth in and power out", I talked to myself keep the concentration levels up (when I wasn't singing!), I repeated the mantra "stay wide, head up, look through, and, smooth on the power" at every corner. I had a few 'moments' with a wee wobble on bumps and loose stuff but I could not afford to let it bother me. I had to keep going.

Track days or ride outs or normal long runs mean stitching together corners or keeping the pace for a few miles maybe even 50 or 100 miles at a time, endurance distance riding means keeping the pace for hours and hours. Things have a habit of adding up. If your bike can do 200 miles on a tank and you only to 175 at a time then over 1000 miles that means an extra stop and the pressure to go just that little bit faster and risk coming off. Stopping for a pee becomes a luxury with 'just another 20 miles' becoming 100 miles and the next fuel stop. Doing 1000 miles in under 24 hours is not easy but neither is it that challenging unless you do it on A roads that are narrower than many driveways. The route I chose is remote and bumpy and twisty with few fuel stations and the danger of not getting help after an accident for hours a real possibility BUT the roads and landscape are truly awe inspiring with nature right in your face. It is a privilege to ride these roads knowing that very very few bikers will ever take the chance to experience it.

Is it easy? No, no real challenge worthy of the name is easy. This is not a parachute or bungee jump, it requires a peculiar mix of ability, preparation and sheer unadulterated bloody minded mono-maniacal persistence in the face of exhaustion and agony. Arrochar to Tongue is 500 miles without dual carriageway, A roads have Passing Places and B roads have sheep grazing in the middle of them then you turn onto a "Track" that has no classification but is still the Main (only) Road.
After a while I got into the Zone, that mystical place where things come together and you operate on a higher level. I wasn't faster or smoother or better but suddenly it came together and it became A Truly Great Ride, and I just enjoyed it.

How many could do what I have done? Precious few but feel free to take my route and give it a try it could be the best ride of your life.

Back
Top Bottom