Riding to Como in July 07 (Advice please)

GSdude

Reaction score
Hi chaps, we are currently planning a trip to Como (Italy) for July 07 on the GS. WE will be meeting up with friends there who will themselves be on their return leg of a trip to Bosnia to see family etc. Weve got the ferry from Hull to Zebrugge sorted and have found some biker friendly (and recommended) digs in Como. Im totally open to suggestions and thoughts regarding the trip and any help would be greatfully accepted. You know what Im after, a trip like this is like a walk in the park to lots of you guys, so if you have any suggestions regarding routes, equipment, or in fact anything you can suggest, then it will all be taken on board and considered. The trip from Zebrugge to Como is well capable within a day, however we have decided to take two days to get there and the same for the return. This will give us two days in and around Como, following which we will travel to Geneva and thence onwards. Cheers guys. :beer:

got some good gps routes from calais. some great rides through france, germany and switzerland.

I did something similar when I was 21, took a ZZR600 down to see some of my family in Mendrisio (sp) Souther Switzerland and Vasto / Caroncio (sp) Italy this was all a long time before GPS was widely available.

I got fed up with stopping every few miles to check a map, so I ended up using the sun to navigate through France. It all started very well, kept the bikes shadow to the front and right when I started off in the morning and just kept on going... I have to admit it went a little wrong after lunch, but only by a few miles.

The cool thing about it is you can’t get too lost. If you hit the coast before you find the Swiss border, just hang a left.

You've got two days, you'll find some of the coolest stuff by just getting lost, at least a little. There are some spectacular sights to see in the strangest of places.

LiquidLAN said:
I ended up using the sun to navigate through France

don't try this at home, unless you don't live in permadull uk ;)

been to the area 5 times.10 years riding moto guzzi's makes lake como a special place as the factory is on the banks of the lake in mandello de lario.its well worth a visit they have museum of all there bikes.plenty of ferries going from one side to the other or just take an evening site seeing as its a big lake.2 days to get there is more like it there is so much to see on route ie france/ switz etc.as for the route get your self either sat nav or autoroute and have a good play dont rush it and miss the main point of touring.i did it with some of the most odd and friendly folk i have ever met and riding a guzzi is simular to a bmw [i have don it on a bmw r1100rs as well].whatever you do make sure you ride some mounting pass's there r plenty in swiss/italy -ie-simplon/furka/grimsel/st,gothard/susten/nufenen/grand st.bernhard/oberlap are just a few.enjoy your trip, just do your homework first and you will have the time of your life.im turning a green colour :clap :clap ashley
ps.hotel Formule1 cheap,clean/safe all through france
accor hotels same as .
ROI SOLEIL hotels same as.
forgot this one-stavellio national park 'awesome' fink i spelt it rite.

cookie said:
don't try this at home, unless you don't live in permadull uk ;)

Trust me, it didnt work much better in sunny france... I ended up right west as the afternoon started, that was before it dawned on me the shadow needed to be on the other side of the bike in the afternoon
:D

Autoroutes etc

You must choose your dates carefully. Find out when the school holidays are. On the first day or two the roads can be so full of traffic it is unbeleivable - and the next day all is calm and the roads are empty. Certain days are designated orange or red etc; so it is all predictable and avoidable if you are clever; A GPS is worthwile because you may well want to leave the main roads and sometimes thread your way through the towns and villages. On these busy weekends the police are all over the place, another reason to avoid these dates.
There is an art in keeping cool and yet not abandoning all protection - not easy and you do see lunatics in tee shirts, bare arms, trainers at high speed -sometimes without helmets, especially down in the South. Tinted visors are legal here BUT make sure you have a clear visor when it is dusk - I switch helmets with my wife if I amcaugh out. That's enough to think about for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom