Navigator I ... worth a go?

Zebedee

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've got the option to upgrade from my GPS III+ to a BMW Navigator (SP III) for “sensible money”, and I've got a couple of quick questions to make sure that I'm not buying a lemon.

First of all, as I understand it the system should come with it's original Mapsource CD. However if it doesn't would I be able to use my existing mapsource software? I'm not talking about the actual maps, I'm just thinking of the software to communicate between the PC and the GPS unit.

Second, if I want to program the unit with my own maps, can it be done through the standard data cable, rather than using the separate USB data card programmer?

Finally, are there generic alternatives to the Garmin data cards and if so is it possible to use cards larger than 128 Mb?

Many thanks

John :thumb

The experts will tell you that the Navigator I cost £1000 when it was introduced, so one might think that one for sensible money (£100?-you don't say) might be the steal of the century.
You will get tired of it (I had an SPIII, so I am talking from expereince) - it would be much better to get a 2610 bundle for GPS warehouse for around £200. http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3320.html

Yes,

Yes, but you'll need external power into the GPS as it takes so long.

Yes, fleabay 256mb for about $40.

BTW unless the "sensible money" is a lot less than a £100, I'd go for the 2610 as well.

Zebedee said:
Hi Folks,

However if it doesn't would I be able to use my existing mapsource software?

.....Second, if I want to program the unit with my own maps, can it be done through the standard data cable, rather than using the separate USB data card programmer?
Does it come with the original unlock codes?

It sounds as if there are one or two bits missing.

Frankly, unless it's less than £50 I'd steer clear. By the time you add a 256mb datacard and (maybe) update the maps, you're getting close to the purchase price of the 2610 - which is vastly better.

The SP3, excellent though it was, has had its day.

So, come on guys, don’t pull any punches … speak your mind … :D

Seriously though, I’m not sure that it’s quite as clear cut as you’ve all suggested, but only because I’m in New Zealand and since the original posting I’ve found out that the unit is NZ new and comes with the original software.

The speed of route recalculation isn’t too much of an issue, as by all accounts the mapping in NZ is far from wonderful, and I would be uploading my own, none “routable” maps anyway.

What I was looking for from an upgrade unit was a larger memory capacity, possibly with the option of swapping cards, and the colour screen would be nice.

However, at the kiwi equivalent of £ 125, I think I’ll take your advice and let this one pass.

Many thanks

John

Back
Top Bottom