Quest power lead

Mr K

Reaction score
I've searched through the forum and various sites of GPS kit, but can't find what I want:
I have an un-powered Ram cradle and simply want a power lead to run the Quest off the bike battery so that the back-light stays on.

I've found kits with whole cradles, but the Ram one is nice and secure ..... and I use the GPS in the car and van too, so don't want to butcher the car kit either.

Ta in advance.

:beerjug:

D'oh! I'd seen the Qpac mentioned several times and not realised it was what I wanted :rolleyes: so didn't look at it....

:eek

You don't need a QPAC...

The RAM mount is supplied with a tiny Torx key that you can use to remove the power lead from the Garmin car mount supplied with the Quest. The power lead can then be attached using the same Torx screw to the back of the RAM mount. Rig up an adaptor to allow you to plug the ciggie lighter part of the lead into a socket on your bike and away you go - bike power to the Quest :clap .

But if you want to move the Quest between car and bike then a QPAC might be a better solution to save the hassle of moving the wiring.

Tomcat said:
The RAM mount is supplied with a tiny Torx key that you can use to remove the power lead from the Garmin car mount supplied with the Quest. The power lead can then be attached using the same Torx screw to the back of the RAM mount. Rig up an adaptor to allow you to plug the ciggie lighter part of the lead into a socket on your bike and away you go - bike power to the Quest :clap .

But if you want to move the Quest between car and bike then a QPAC might be a better solution to save the hassle of moving the wiring.

Just clarify .. The Garmin auto mount has TORX and now the RAM cradle has a TORX tool inside the Poly bag whereas QPAC has two Philips number zero screws. Yes, you can remove the garmin power lead from their auto-mount and attach to the RAM cradle as there is an aperature and underneath, a TORX screw point. I am aware some do this and use on a bike as a power source, but its not waterproof, nor designed/intended for use on a bike and the Vreg chipset inside is limited to 50 deg C temp. If using QPAC the unit is sealed and the Vreg chipset is temp rated to 125 deg C. So it depends on how far south you venture :eek:

You can use Quest on its internal Li-ion cell and to get audio out we made a hybrid from QPAC, called ACQ-xx which attaches to the RAM GA15 cradle.

Migrating RAM onto the garmin auto mount is a no-no, same for auto-mount cradle onto a RAM mount.

I've got a quest cradle and power lead I'm not using if you're interested. The Garmin one

Thanks for the advice and offers and/but being an impulsive sod I ordered a Qpac from GPSW yesterday.

Qpac ordered online on Sunday afternoon arrived Tuesday a.m.
Everything fits together as per instructions and it works.

Big thums-up to RAM and www.gpsw.co.uk for the latest in hassle free transactions.

garmin cradle

madmikey said:
I've got a quest cradle and power lead I'm not using if you're interested. The Garmin one

Mike - if this is available could you please mail me as I would be interested

thanks

sam

Back
Top Bottom