Dark visors and the law?

Cheesy Mike

I am in Germany at the moment. I just bought a tinted visor for my BMW SportIntegral lid - something which isn't available in the UK yet. I was disappointed to hear from the German dealer that the reactolite visor won't be available anywhere until next year.

What is the UK law? Am I allowed to use a tinted visor which is stamped with "Daytime use only" during the legal hours of daylight if I carry a clear visor in my panniers?

Mike

Dark Visors

No.

However; returning from Beaulieu on Sunday with a completely illegal dark visor on my Arai we were pulled up by Plod who were "checking all bikes coming through for tax, tyres etc"

Yours truely was very polite as the dark visor a laser exhaust are both "not for road use"....no problem, neither mentioned.

Impression is that unless you are being a complete prat and have another reason for being 'nicked' they will turn a blind eye (traffic plod that is.....!).

I usually carry a clear visor with me as you have suggested as well.

Cooperman

I understood that tinted visors up to a certain level of darkness were OK for daytime use. I have a "smoke" coloured visor which is apparently legal during the day however "black" it aint!!

Tell plod it is NOT a Visor it is a fashion accessory and watch the court's try and sort that one out :D

Paul G said:
Tell plod it is NOT a Visor it is a fashion accessory and watch the court's try and sort that one out :D

LOL. You may be on to something. I wonder how this would play?

I was asked about my iridium visor a few weeks ago. It went like this
Cop, That visor isn't legal
Me, That isn't a visor because it isn't kite marked, it's a fashion accessory,
Cop, Oh yeah, and who told you that then
Me, My brother
Cop,Oh yeah, and what does he know about the law then
Me, Quite alot really, he's a barrister who specalises in road traffic law, and he says that if I don't want to wear eye protection, I don't have to, I choose not to wear eye protection. He also said that if any policemen want to make a point of it, take their name and number, and ask for it to go to court, because you're not doing anything wrong. Then I'll come up and make them look complete twats in front of everybody and charge them £465 an hour for the pleasure. A black visor is about as much against the law as Calvin Kline underpants.
Very pissed off pig, right off you go then.
Me, But I'm breaking the law.
Pig says nothing, and goes and has a huddle with his mates while I finish my fag off.
Tell 'em to feck off, w@nkers

Cool. The irony of course is that whom ever started the black visor thing in the UK I suspect had no interest in safety. Now you can beat them with their own stick.

:cool:

Pig says nothing, and goes and has a huddle with his mates while I finish my fag off.
Tell 'em to feck off, w@nkers

Don't suppose you'd want one to come and pick up the bits when you get knocked off by some 'didn't see you mate' driver then eh?

The Girlfriend has started wearing my Arai which got me thinking what's wrong with pillions wearing dark visors in which case why is it ilegal to sell them (the laws assuming they're being brought for the rider)

I'd wonder if an issurance company would take advantage of any claim made if they knew you where wearing a dark visior... it would make an easy get out of paying clause.

Wreford Miles said:
I'd wonder if an insurance company would take advantage of any claim made if they knew you where wearing a dark visor... it would make an easy get out of paying clause.

They probably hadn't thought of that.......till now!!

Dave, They did come running to pick up the pieces after some "didn't see you" 18 year old hit me up the arse while I was waiting at a roundabout. 6ft skid marks before she hit me, 47ft skid marks after she hit me, in a 30mph zone. There were only 13 coppers that turned up to have a look, girl crying her eyes out said it was her fault as she wasn't paying attention, and talking to her mates. Three independent witnesses saw her 10 mins' before she got me, overtaking cars, that were overtaking parked cars making everything else swerve to avoid been hit by her. Police recomended she go on a driving course. £95, day and a half, and she's still got a clean ticket. They said "it looked like it was a genuine accident, and she was travelling at no more than 30mph.Yeah right. You call them nice police men, I call them a bunch of useless tossers.:shoot:

Without dropping down to some others levels
I never posted nice police men but i cannot imaging you've dealt with 100 out of the over 100,000 coppers there are in this country. I just get fed up of people tarring us all with the same brush. Most do a good job in shit conditions with no back up from bosses,politicians (who make all the rules/regs etc) or the public.
Granted some are 'tossers' but as often quoted, we are but a cross section of society and after 20 years of sorting peoples troubles and woes, it all gets a little tedious.
Once in a while you deal with a good job, actually get a good result and get some thanks off a victim, i couldn't give a toss about bosses pats on the backs as they are just a tick in some promotion portfolio, but when a member of public says thanks for a job well done.........
Sweeping statements don't do you justice.

there are wankers in all walks of life and as such why would you expect there to be non in the police ?

20% is the legal limit for the exclusion of light from a visor and some constabularies do use meters to check .....gwent being one !!!!

i wear one probably 75% of the time and did while i was in the bike trade regularly sell them to copppers its just there bosses that dont seem to like them (obviously there is the jobsworth factor )

but insurance companies have been known to knock a claim becase of them.

now they are wankers

Police

I agree with Dave....There are tossers in all walks of life, some in the police. However most coppers are decent reasonable folk. What people forget is that someone else makes the rules. This is usually a white left wing, middle class arsehole that is so far removed from everyday life that they haven't got a clue. Blame them!! I'm sick of hearing the Old Bill get blamed for everything.
If you want to wear a black visor then wear one. If you get caught so be it. However remember this. There are certain people in society who do not use common sense. Eg. A young lad, on a scooter. Picture this. It's midnight, he's wearing his Nike tracksuit bottons, Reebok trainers and Roof Boxer with black Visor. He pulls out infront of you because he can see f*** all through his visor. Crash!!!!!!!!! That is why laws are in place.
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom