Famagusta - abandoned city in Cyprus

Supposedly, according to Lonely Planet, there is a car dealership somewhere in the city that still has 1974 models in the showroom.
I'd love to see that! :)

in nicosia on the green line there is an unground car park full of top of the range motors left gathering dust, we used to patrol past them daily.

Yes it is a very strange place indeed. Before the border opened up a bit, it was like stepping back 30 years when you went from the Cypriot (south) side to the Turkish (north) side.

Then the border opened up, money came across and the building started. Shame really because it has taken away some of the character of the place.

One good thing is that the roads are being resurfaced and remade. As we say at the bike club - Everydays a Track day in Cyprus :thumb :thumb

Regards

Del

Delpel

Can you confirm that you can now travel into the North of the Island freely,I have been told that the scenery etc in the N is stunning. Last time there we visited the border post/museum near Protaras and were able to view Famagusta from it dead eerie it was to.

:beerjug:

Schultz

Google Earth shows the the dichotomy of the civilian/military sectors sectors very well. In this example you can see the Turkish military fence, patrol tracks, abandoned orchards and decaying houses juxtapositioned with the occupied buildings, cars and maintained gardens of Turkish/Cypriot settlers

The beaches of Cyprus' east coast are magnificent. Up towards the eastern tip of the "panhandle" is a sandune backed five mile stretch that is the equal of any of Autralia's

If you are looking for an autumnal or Spring rideout you really can't beat Cyprus - both North and South

Looking at those Google Earth images of Famagusta reminds me of my evacuation in '74. A Swedish UN patrol had snatched four English models shooting a hair spray commercial from the beach. They were eventually bundled onto an RAF VC10 still in their bikinis and goosebumps and on arrival at Lyneham received the undivided attention on the WVRS ladies who had been knitting balaclavas and scarves for decades in anticipation of just such an eventuality!

I left my car unattended at RAF Kingsfield for just two months and on return the plastics/rubber of the steering wheel, dashboard and gearlever knob had completely melted in the extreme Cypriot summer heat. I suspect any cars etc in showrooms have long since perished away, if they were not spirited away (looted) immediately after the invasion

There is definately a car showroom in the DMZ or attila line in Nicosia, on the old airport there used to be some of the old airliners parked up, at least there where still there in 84 :rob

Used to live a mile from Famagusta. Interesting place. Walk around and there are (or were) 1974 as new cars parked in garages, abandoned meals on tables, etc etc. Just like time stood still. BMW twin looked just at home there actually...

Ah. Fama-G. Memories come flooding back.

It used to be the best place to head to from the SBA at Dekhelia (near Larnaca) in 1973.

Hermes Street. Brothel bars from one end to the other. Jigga-jig Johnnie? Only ten Cyprus pounds. :cool:

MikeP said:
Ah. Fama-G. Memories come flooding back.
Hermes Street. Brothel bars from one end to the other. Jigga-jig Johnnie? Only ten Cyprus pounds. :cool:

:eek: you seem very knowledgeable Mr MikeP..... on the :spl1f: again reminiscing? :D

Schultz said:
Delpel

Can you confirm that you can now travel into the North of the Island freely,I have been told that the scenery etc in the N is stunning. Last time there we visited the border post/museum near Protaras and were able to view Famagusta from it dead eerie it was to.

:beerjug:

Schultz

Yes you can travel quite freely over the border. You need your passport and a small fee for car insurance if you coming from the south side. At the moment it is £10CYP for a car and £8CYP for a bike for 3 days. Not worth the paper it's written on, think of it as a toll. There are several gates to cross, from AY Nik (Black Knight), Nicosia and another at Astromeritis (bottom of Troodos/Nicosia road) near Morphu.

You can take red plate hire cars/bikes over as well. When you hire the car/bike don't hand over your driving license as you may get asked to show it at the border.

The scenery is stunning as said. There are some fantatsic castles perched in the mountains overlooking the sea. The road to the pan handle is a treat on the GS, mixture of fast sweeping bends and broken single track tarmac.

We did a round the island ride covering both North and South side - brilliant :thumb

The closest brothel (The Pink House) closest to the Ay Nik gate is just the ticket when you have ridden up from Akrotiri to Ay Nik for a meeting and fancy a bite to eat :eek: and claim motor mileage to boot.

We did the Green Line tour last year and it is still all there exactly as it was left, plates, clothes cars etc. Really spooky and sad at the same time.

The island is definetly worth a trip on a bike. Enough to keep you occupied for a week of intense riding.

regards

Delboy

Thank's Delpel something to look at should we get back to Cyprus sometime in the future.

Schultz

whats the name of the small village (near aiya napa) that is still mixed turks and greeks, 2 churches, 2 shops, 2 bars, 2 post offices, 2 schools :nenau can remember patrolling through it

when on a package holiday (my first ever hol like that btw) - we made a point of going up to the village of Derynia (SP?) to the viewing "tower" there. it is or was as near as you could get to the North - and get a look at Famagusta without actually going over the border.

eerie is an understatement.
that place has so much history. is so sad. and (imho) a place where all should go and see.
oddly the Cypriots took to us and loved us when they knew we'd come from Ireland - often saying something like "ah - you are like us; living on a divided island. politics, sadness and division."
:rolleyes:
er,...NO. Ireland is not like Cyprus - in living memory at least we haven't had to endure anything like what they have. we in Ireland are far better off....

...apart from the weather.
:D
i love Cyprus - want to go again. but on a bike and go ALL AROUND the coast! :thumb

Was also fortunate to live there for 2 years...a fantastic place and would love to go back some day. Closest i got recently was RAF Akrotiri..passing through to you know where :(

Mac

dum,dum

remember the mute from nicosia ;) ;)

yeh, i remember,85 86,regina street,Nicosia ( dirty street). we used to call her dum dum, but i think she was putting it on.probably more intelligent than she looked. maybe we were dum.

Any of you guys still in Cyprus now ? Just had one of my mates on phone from there. He is an Irish police man there till 14/2/07 then riding his bike back to Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom