Broadband recommendation

Beesley6

Can anyone recommend a good Broadband provider (not cable).
I am currently with Freeserve anytime but the connection is very slow.

One desktop and one laptop to share the connection but not at the same time.

Thanks.

where are you?

tell me where you are and ill ask around and see what is your best option..

it depends on how close you are to a dsl enabled exchange..

the closer the better..

i assume your in the UK..

regards

pthagonal

Try PlusNet

I've had it a while (on recommendation from Malky) and find it excellent for me.

They also have a referal scheme where if you note down who suggested it, they get a % off their monthly cost while you're a customer.

:)D mate!)

Broadband

Just got hooked up to BT Connect.

No problems at all.

I use a Wireless ADSL Router so that I can use my pc as usual and my laptop anywhere within about 25yds using the wireless LAN ( ie home & garden ). Works well.

Cheers, Rick.

OK, here are a couple of my suggestions:

http://www.giointernet.com - very cheap (about £18 a month) and I've heard some good reviews about them ;)

http://www.pipex.com - not sure on the price but I've heard that this is a very good and fast broadband service ;)

Check out their sites, you're bound to find all the info you're looking for on there :):)

I always recommend Nildram or Demon Internet, for both business and home users. I do not have any commercial connections with either of them, but have always found good reports from the users of their service.

No I don't use them myself, as I've got cable broadband.

For heavens sake don't touch BT Openwoe, as their service is shyte, and you will be in for nothing but trouble. This is from the experiance of many people who ask me about the problems they are having.

In the dim and distant past, I had a BT dialup service and I had nothing but trouble then. So went over to Demon Internet and that was fine, never had any problems.

Roy.

You could always try a Virgin......sorry, I meant... http://www.virgin.net/.

I use the dial up............living to far from the exchange but they are pretty good and not a bad price;)

CC

:cool:

blue sweeper's right to advise avoiding bt openwound. i think they are better than they used to be as regards product, but the service is totally non existant.

look in the forums at adsl guide i linked to above for any isp you are considering. you'll soon see who has all the grief :D

cookie said:
blue sweeper's right to advise avoiding bt openwound. i think they are better than they used to be as regards product, but the service is totally non existant.

look in the forums at adsl guide i linked to above for any isp you are considering. you'll soon see who has all the grief :D

But doesn't the copper belong the BT anyway, who then leases it out to its competitors (according to the fair competition rules) ?? So at the end, the service on the DSL line itself is the same, it's just the ISP portion that changes..??

I too hear a fair amount of whining about BT's offering but this is probably because more of them have BT Openworld's offerings.

Personally I have been with BT for 3 years (firstly as a dial-up customer) and I enjoy a fair service from them and the only reason I'd consider changing is their product offering at the 512K level is weak compared to the likes of Plusnet.

In fact had Plusnet's pre-sales not resembled pig shit when I enquired about transferring to them I'd probably be a customer of theirs already.

Mike Werner said:
But doesn't the copper belong the BT anyway, who then leases it out to its competitors (according to the fair competition rules) ?? So at the end, the service on the DSL line itself is the same, it's just the ISP portion that changes..??

You're right. Using ADSL, the bit from the house to the exchange is BT's, and the route to the ISP. But after that it's the ISP that provides the service.

One of the major gripes that I have with BT Openwoe is the morons that pretend to help you when it all goes wrong. Plus the email servers that are constantly not operating, or BT's internet routers that stop routing correctly.

On numerous occasions when I have had to step in and help the users of the shyte service, I end up knowing more about the problem than the so called help desk, and it has always been their fault. Plus when you phone up you get a huge run around, by being passed from one person to another.

But don't just take my word for it, take a look at www.btopenwoe.co.uk

Roy.

there is a difference. check the forums.

nildram service is right up there too.

Back
Top Bottom