Any Newbury 1150GS owners out there?

greencat

I'm Newbury based...well, Thatcham actually, and really (really) into the idea of a GS to suplement my cammo ruskie Ural outfit. I'd appreciate a chat and a walk around an 1150 with someone local to give me some pointers as to what to look out for when buying one.

PM me if you can spare me 20 minutes...

Michael

Had mine over 3 years so can give an honest opinion Not too far away at Oxford Give me a ring 07980102527

Nearly died on the A4 at the Marsh Benham crossraods !

Pelvis, arms, wrists, leg, sholder all broken, hate the place, 3 months in Reading hospital hate Reading as well.

One less Ducati 900 Superlight on the road.

BAKERMAN said:

Pelvis, arms, wrists, leg, sholder all broken, hate the place, 3 months in Reading hospital hate Reading as well.

many have met a sticky end there or kintbury cross roads.i was a trainee chef at the halfway in the 70's.one night on the way home to newbury, a car pulled out in front of me.i ended up in the field at the same cross roads.
i was riding a mobylette sports special 49 cc 1974 'm' reg,broke my wrist and had to walk the 7 miles home to wash common, no phones in them there days. and it was ferking snowing.ah the memmory's :thumb

Kintbury crossroads have been sorted a bit now, with lane separation lines and a couple of islands, in fact the lengths of road either side of Kintbury have had lane separating lines marked and it seem to have been reasonably effective.

The Marsh Benham crossroads :eek: A quick bit of road, too wide, people using the center of the road as a "suicide" lane. Aparrantly :rolleyes: good vision from either direction if you ignore the fact that there's a X roads there :nono

The A4 west of Newbury can be a fantastic, very fast road if you catch it quiet like i did last night :D But It can also be one of the most dangerous roads I know of :nenau

Not as bad as the old Winchester to Basingstoke road though (A33) :eek: :eek:

Shep

The A4 west of Newbury up to Hungerford is a nightmare on the old ruskie outfit. I don't have the oompf to get past slow vehicles but, as someone else mentioned, the road is so wide people pretend its two lanes, drive up along side you and then, when they see an oncoming car just pull over into you.
I've also had several people pulll into the central resevation (to turn right) and then change their mind and swing back into the lane in front of me. Given that I have to start slowing down a good hour in advance of wanting to stop (drum brakes and a bike built like a tank) it always leads to pant wetting moments.

time you got a properrrrr bike. :D :D :D
A4 newbury to hungerford still ride with 'care'
A4 hugerford to chippenham 'oh yes' gs heaven long sweeping bends :thumb

ash19600 said:
many have met a sticky end there or kintbury cross roads.i was a trainee chef at the halfway in the 70's.one night on the way home to newbury, a car pulled out in front of me.i ended up in the field at the same cross roads.
i was riding a mobylette sports special 49 cc 1974 'm' reg,broke my wrist and had to walk the 7 miles home to wash common, no phones in them there days. and it was ferking snowing.ah the memmory's :thumb

Steve Cox was killed on these cross road back in the late 70's he was an old boy from JoG, if i remember rightly he was riding a honda CB750

Rumour has it that the field opp the junction is where a load of American Army Jeeps and stuff was buried after WWII

BAKERMAN said:

So that was you then :mmmm I remember seeing the mess you left 24 hours later. My ex at the time was a hobby bobby based in Hungerford and told me, that she was told, you'd snuffed it :eek:

Tis a VERY fast road the A4 :nono

xbootie said:
Steve Cox was killed on these cross road back in the late 70's he was an old boy from JoG, if i remember rightly he was riding a honda CB750

Rumour has it that the field opp the junction is where a load of American Army Jeeps and stuff was buried after WWII
i think was in his brothers year[anthony] at jog. my dad at the time was a sargent stationed at hungerford nick and told my mum all about it.i can hear her now your not riding that dam bike any more,yeh alright mum as i closed the door behind me.after my big smash in 2003 she said well your never ride a bike now will you.'WRONG'.before i went away this summer on the rs1100 i went round to see her on the bike,she was out the front talking to a friend she nearly had kittens when i got of the bike, she actully swore at me[way to go mum]another lecture ensued yeh yeh im 46 ffs.when the the rs went about a month ago i knew you'd see sense ehe said,ive yet to tell her about the gs sat in the garage. eek:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
sorry greencat for nicking your thread its BAKERMAN'S fault he started it:D
i can talk about the 1100 but know little of the infearer 1150 :D :D :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHERES MY TOP BOX MOUNT :D :D :D :D :D
your slower than the royal mail.i got it, this is the response time for today's police staff AKA fat civvi.

Hijak away :bounce1

It's good to see there are a fair few locals (kind of) to me on here in, and about, the Royal County of Berkshire...OK its just West Berks but the former sounds rather snooty :rolleyes: .

Off for a test ride on a 1200GS on Saturday, hope the weathers feeling kind. I think my hearts set on a 1150 GSA but I might as well check out the options...and it breaks in the idea of the expenditure with the girlie so it wont come as so much of a shock when I buy.

Greencat - I don't live in Newbury but I do work there. You don't work for VF do you as someone has a Ural outfit in the car park on the Business Park where I work. If it's you I'm quite happy for to have a walk around mine! (dito if it's not) :thumb

xbootie said:
Police chase in Thatcham the other day

looks like it ended at the bottom of Harts hill Thatcham

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=3376

Class...and practically past my house, can't believe I missed that one. Amazing the Feds happened to be on hand. You don't normally see a policeman in Thatcham more than once a week.
There were two cars driving a demolition derby around the streets in my little bit of Thatcham one night...just smashing into each other :eek: . I phoned the police (after moving my car onto the drive of course :D ) and it took them 2.5 hours to turn up. :rob

Woodie said:
Greencat - I don't live in Newbury but I do work there. You don't work for VF do you as someone has a Ural outfit in the car park on the Business Park where I work. If it's you I'm quite happy for to have a walk around mine! (dito if it's not) :thumb

Yeah dude, that's me. You've probably seen my wee beasty parked outside of Astor where I'm based. Give me a shout when your in the office on 07789948693...you can look me up in the phone book to find out who I am!

Michael

ELIMINATOR said:
Another Tarka in the making?

He`s a good friend of mine,actually.......

This pic will show you just HOW good........ :eek: :D :D

(It wasn`t my camera...so apologies for the pic quality)

Attachments

• msamsome.jpg
    msamsome.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom