Honda XR 400

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
I want (read: need :bow ) another Supermoto to replace the Dommie I sold last year. I also want something that I can swap wheels on to hone my off-roading. So: XR400s.

Any good?

Much power for a 400?

Better options out there?

Warthog said:
I want (read: need :bow ) another Supermoto to replace the Dommie I sold last year. I also want something that I can swap wheels on to hone my off-roading. So: XR400s.

Any good?

Much power for a 400?

Better off with the 650, it's got more bollox and will certainly be more relaxed on the road than the under powered 400!

The 650 makes a 'crackin' supermoto... :bow

On the flip side, the 400 will be better off road....tough call!

DD... :thumb

Warthog said:

Any good?

Much power for a 400?

Speak to Darkhorse, he has a very nice xr400 which he might be selling.

Re Darkhorse, PM sent!

Re the other points: all good to know. A 650 would be fun, I know, but after this trip I really want to hone some off road skills, so more manageable the better. As for power, well, its going to be a fun bike as well as transport. GS will be longer hauls, this for town and larking about.

We hope to be living in Estonia in the future and over there I gather you don't piss about with speed limits if you want to spend your salary, so what better way to get my kicks on dirt and road than a smallish crosser/SM!!

What power do they make? 30-35bhp?

My dommie was a 650 and about the same: it was great fun. May only miss the torque...

If It's of use.

I bought a XR400 after returning from a trip this year to Morocco on an 1150 Adventure.
I found the BM to heavy for the type of off roading I wanted to do, Also I ride alone or with my son, so I needed a bike that would carry enough kit for the trip, but still be very good off road
Also the total weight of bike and Kit needed to be well below 160kl ,so I could pick the bike up on my own if needed.

I have been putting the XR400 to the test, first with a ride to Scotland .
I fitted the 22 lt Acerbis tank ,so now I get 440 kl before i need to fill up.
The bike is also very good off road even when loaded up with my Kit.
It does not seem short of power and can still maintain a good speed even when loaded.

I will be riding the XR400 down to Morocco next spring and hope to be more adventurous this time,taking in a lot more off road routes.

Dazzer

Dazzer: Top post. Good to know!! I agree the 1150 is heavy, and we are two up!! Mind you, to up its one of the few options out there...

I read the XR is 115kg dry: I've have dreamt of that on the gravel tracks, not to mention the sand!!

Back
Top Bottom