DRZ400S Buying Tips Please

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I did my first bit of trail riding for at least 20 years this w/e on a borrowed RMX250. It was absolutly brilliant, I've never been so wet, muddy and exhausted :thumb and I've caught the bug.

Asking around, a mutual friend has a DRZ which is (aledgedly) tatty but all there and sound with a spare set of 17" wheels. It sounds like it could be had for £1500. Not sure of the year or mileage at this stage.

Firstly, the DRZ strikes me as a perfect introdution to the world of trail riding and hopefully, as I progress, will grow with me. Would folks agree with that?

Secondly, is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of (over and above the usual) when checking out a 2nd hand DRZ?

Cheers
Andres

Andres

The wheels should be 18" and 21".

Don't buy earlier than 2001 (I think) as they had flimsy forks and a dodgy cam-chain tensioner.

Greg

BTBR said:
Buy the "E" and not the S version.

The S version is for :rob

I was told the S was a better bet when it comes to reliability - would a trail riding newb like me really notice the difference in performance?

Greg - the bike I'm going to see comes with the standard off road wheels and 17" Talons.

Andres

Go for it, ideal 1st laner.

£1500 for a DRZ-S sounds ok. And would make an ideal beginners bike.
Good lighting, reasonable suspension and the valuable electric start.
Gearbox shaft bush needs to be changed for a stainless steel type, fitting new oil seal whilst there. Corrosion causes seal to fail, dumping all the engine oil and leading to siezure of motor.
Battery connections and main electrics fuse can suffer from corrosion so make good, keep clean and coated in silicon grease (or vaseline).

The 'E' version is slightly hotter in engine tune, higher compression ratio and carb diffferences. Suspension is totally adjustable, compression and rebound, etc. Overall weight is less, plastic fuel tank and no instruments as such.

The DRZ was also available in kickstart only form, one of which I have owned since early 2000, this probably being the first sold in this country.
Runs well and starts very easily when hot and bothered. I have covered about 8000 miles now of some of the hardest lanes I could find and failures have been rare, the greatest being a burst radiator.

An XR250/400 is also a reasonable machine, and no rads to burst but no electric start.

Best of luck.
Oh, and get yourself over to Llangollen sometime with it and have a hoot on the lanes there.
Timpo.

Outtomunch said:
I was told the S was a better bet when it comes to reliability - would a trail riding newb like me really notice the difference in performance?

Greg - the bike I'm going to see comes with the standard off road wheels and 17" Talons.

Andres

The E does have a sharper engine although I shouldn't think that there's any difference in reliability. There are other differences like no winkers, no fan, plastic tank, different gearing etc.

17" Super-Moto wheels with road rubber would be fine, but gearing may be compromised if you plan to swap for off-roading.

Greg

I have a DRZ400E for sale. (reluctantly)

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 364
phil adams said:
I have a DRZ400E for sale. (reluctantly)

Correct me if I am wrong but that's an S isn't it? Metal tank etc, etc.

The early "e" models had an exhuast that would split your ear drums (not sure if the latter ones are any better)! :eek:

So budget for a new end can/ exhuast insert if you end up looking at one of these bikes.

My last one had a CRD system on it. Slightly fruity, but not over-whelming (sp?).

Think mine was possibly more reliable than my GS....

If you haven't done much trail riding, you might want to have a look out for a KTM 200 egs?.
These little bikes are fantastic, not short on go, feel like half the weight of the drz, and they survive the "wobbles" much better. These can be picked up for around the same money as your budget. the egs model mentioned also has auto lube.

I rode one of these at the dawn to dusk, and it was a walk in the park compared to the fire breathing husky 450 i tried to do my first lap on :nenau

HTH

Nathan

attachment.php

Stoney said:
Correct me if I am wrong but that's an S isn't it? Metal tank etc, etc.
If it's blue, then it's an 'S' model.

Unfortunately, blue is the slowest colour.

;)

Greg

before you reluctantly sell it do you want to sell me the bash plate??? :D :D

Ee's are good..but so are S's

Don't think you'd notice the difference over the E version. My S is plenty strong enough. Better lighting, trip 'puter, easier through an MoT.

Worth getting a CRD bash plate, proper disk guards and engine casing protection.
Leasure trail stock lots of bits and also stainless steel g/box bush (which I've yet to do). Save up and get a Yoshie can.

Had slight carb icing when really cold. Check the switch gear works--especially kill switch.

Yellow ones are faster.

Brilliant fun and I've thrown mine about a bit (Stanage Edge at Midnight).
Try mine
Si (the goon in bright orange)

Attachments

• DRZ snow.jpg
    DRZ snow.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 231
Outtomunch said:
I did my first bit of trail riding for at least 20 years this w/e on a borrowed RMX250. It was absolutly brilliant, I've never been so wet, muddy and exhausted :thumb and I've caught the bug.

Asking around, a mutual friend has a DRZ which is (aledgedly) tatty but all there and sound with a spare set of 17" wheels. It sounds like it could be had for £1500. Not sure of the year or mileage at this stage.

Firstly, the DRZ strikes me as a perfect introdution to the world of trail riding and hopefully, as I progress, will grow with me. Would folks agree with that?

Secondly, is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of (over and above the usual) when checking out a 2nd hand DRZ?

Cheers
Andres
drz is good because it has electric start.....the most important bit of kit for a novice off roader!!! E version has an exhaust so loud ears tend to bleed so not ideal for low profile riding in post NERC world! but a good E with road legal kit added (can be bought separately if not in place already approx£200) and a quiet exhaust is a bloody good bike and reliable...needs minimal maintanance compared to ktms for example and quite tough when dropped (rads excepted) do the mods needed road kit, gear change bush, put second hand plastics on it and away you go! if its tatty, £1500 is a lot these days....if it is sound mechanically but just "used", start bargaining!

I have a crd bash plate which was fitted to my DRz400S if your interested

sorry i didnt see this thread sooner :eek:

i have owned my DRZ400SK5 for 18months now and love it to bits i was in the same boat as you before i bought her and she's been the perfect introduction to off-road fun :thumb

for greenlaning get a bashplate,renthals and some proper tyres
also get hold of a stainless steel front sprocket spacer kit as the std ones will rust and damage the oil seal on the output shaft ...the stainless kit was£15 iirc and it came with new "o" rings too

ENJOY

heres a few pics of my baby taken last weekend,feel free to PM me any questions if you like

04969.jpg

04966.jpg

04962.jpg

sorry i didnt see this thread sooner :eek:

i have owned my DRZ400SK5 for 18months now and love it to bits i was in the same boat as you before i bought her and she's been the perfect introduction to off-road fun :thumb

for greenlaning get a bashplate,renthals and some proper tyres
also get hold of a stainless steel front sprocket spacer kit as the std ones will rust and damage the oil seal on the output shaft ...the stainless kit was£15 iirc and it came with new "o" rings too

Thanks y2blade :thumb

FWIW, blue is defo the colour for a DRZ :)

Andres

Back
Top Bottom