I'm Fed Up With Getting Wet.....

samclifford

Cause it hammered it down this morning, my bike kit leaked and left me with a wet crotch when I got to work :eek: oh, and a wet chest and legs....

I have a Dannisport (?) textile suit thingy which I have had for a while, and I think its had it,

So, any suggestions on bike clothing that you use and how good it is?

Am I really asking to much for a textile suit to keep me warm and dry on my 10 mile, 20 minute commute to work?

And, i've got a pair of Daytona Goretex boots and they leaked as well! Would buying a pair of those black plastic thingy's which bolt on under the engine casings make any difference?

Alot of questions but I would appreciate some comments seeing as there's a possibility of heavy rain and tornados in the UK the next few days.....

Cheers

Sam

Not much good in the near future but I use an Aerostitch Roadcrafter. Only made and sold in the US but well worth getting one by fair means or foul :D

product_image.php

I've just checked the aerostitch website, it looks top stuff!

How did you order/buy it just out of interest, was it direct from them?

short term fix might be to re-proof the kit you currently have to stop it getting soaked, doesn't last for ever, but it's not that expensive either

I have always been very impressed with goretex stuff. Rukka jacket , IXS trousers, combat boots all goretex and totally waterproof. I've now got a pair of HG Tuareg boots that I'm not sure about as the water may have have come in through the top whilst going through very deep water. Other breathable fabric may be as good but I've not wanted to risk it. I'm surprised your boots have leaked. If they are not too old take them back and complain. My combat boots were years old and the soles totally worn out but still 100% waterproof.
I don't envy you that type of damp crotch :D

shugie said:
short term fix might be to re-proof the kit you currently have to stop it getting soaked, doesn't last for ever, but it's not that expensive either

did think about that, but I think its that old its just not worth it anymore

Another vote for the Roadcrafter here. Top stuff. Rode back from Vernland on Saturday in pissing rain all the way and stayed dry and warm. Lots of pockets too... The only thing is, mine now matches my bike, which is a little sad.

Hew said:
I have always been very impressed with goretex stuff. Rukka jacket , IXS trousers, combat boots all goretex and totally waterproof. I've now got a pair of HG Tuareg boots that I'm not sure about as the water may have have come in through the top whilst going through very deep water. Other breathable fabric may be as good but I've not wanted to risk it. I'm surprised your boots have leaked. If they are not too old take them back and complain. My combat boots were years old and the soles totally worn out but still 100% waterproof.

yeah, i don't know quite how they leaked, it was very strange

and it wasn't just the dampness of the crotch, it was the cold as well :eek

Yep roadcrafter here too.

roadcrafter + muffs + altbergs = game over :thumb

delivery is about four weeks but worth the wait..............

yep - I ordered my Darien stuff direct from them. If you talk to them on the phone about sizing they are really helpful.

Hew said:

I can't remember the original owner of the advertising strapline "Original and Best," but I think that goes for Goretex as opposed to other similar materials (shelltex, sympatex, etc). The kit I have had with Goretex in (gloves, boots, jackets, trousers) has never leaked, whereas other stuff has to some degree.

I'm another Aerostich fan. Expensive and a long wait, but well worth it in my view. If you contact them by e-mail, they'll ease you through the sizing business. (Don't forget to take import duty into account when considering the cost.)

PS Was it Kellogg's Corn Flakes?

BMW Streetguard2.
Got it on sale! :thumb
Before that I loved my old type Yoko jacket, the long type.
The new(ish) type, shorter, I had on holiday this year, was too short so I got water inside the pockets of my trousers.

Find a long jacket or a suit that connect trouser & jacket!
Cheap clothes may be OK for one or two years, and I believe quality cost.

:) Liv.

Attachments

• Reima i ny bunad, står, bakfra, CS front Bjertnes høst-06 44kb.jpg
    Reima i ny bunad, står, bakfra, CS front Bjertnes høst-06 44kb.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 441
Can anyone remember how much the shipping and duty came to for a Aerostich suit?

Another vote for Gore-Tex here. BMW's Streetguard pants, and their boots (I forget the name, but they're about £90ish) have kept me bone dry through some real downpours. Ditto the Gore-Tex liner from one of their jackets. You do need to re-proof it from time to time. eVent is similar, but more breathable. Manufacturers have to submit samples to Gore-tex for testing before being allowed to use the brand name, so you know you're getting a good product. i thionk the waterproofing is guaranteed for life, but not totally sure?

Also, Seal Skin socks will keep your feet bone dry. Hope this helps.

samclifford said:
did think about that, but I think its that old its just not worth it anymore

You can persuade the guys in HG to sell you the NikWax wash and the TK reproofing stuff for a tenner.

Unless your kit is totally shagged, it seems the biggest cause of wetness is a need to wash all the shit off the outer fabric, and the small particles that pass through and which affect the liner.

And in the winter you may need to wash your jacket fairly often as it does get filthy.

and... a vote for Hein Gericke. cant remember the model names, but the jacket is top of the line, gortex job, coming in at something like £350 (still not ridiculous money by any means). Me Trooosers were middling quality, not gortex, but the knock off stuff: "softex" "othertex" "somethingtex"? Boots are HG too - reall standard waterproof bike boot.

Anyway, 3 years in, bundles of miles across yurp, up and down to scotland (where it does rain occasionally...) dozens of times and used for the London commute 2 or 3 times a week and its all as dry as wet & dry, before the wet.

I really rate it - HG isnt as expensive as, say, BMW or aerostich; it does quite have the same brand (bit more marks and spencers I guess), but then it doesnt have the same price tag and it really seems to be just as good. When eventually i fall off and rip this stuff up I'll be back there to buy some more.

jon

I use Dainese Gortex jacket and trousers, Oxtar Gortex boots and BMW Gortex gloves. I ride all year round and Have never got wet through with this lot. :)

Droopy Dick said:
Unless your kit is totally shagged, it seems the biggest cause of wetness is a need to wash all the shit off the outer fabric, and the small particles that pass through and which affect the liner.

And in the winter you may need to wash your jacket fairly often as it does get filthy.

After all the dissing that removable Gortex liners get (soaking wet jacket ect.) this is a very good reason to go with removable Gortex liners :thumb

After years of trying different stuff I have come to the conclusion that with bike gear you really do get 'what you pay for' so I ALWAYS go for Gortex now and Seal Skins socks.

It pains me to say so but BWM stuff is very well worth the money with Dainese a close second, followed by Rukka/Roadcraft.

Andres

And, i've got a pair of Daytona Goretex boots and they leaked as well!
Tell me about it, just had to send my fecker's back. I ain't happy, certainly having shelled out £230 for 'em. And they say you get what you pay for... :spitfire

It pains me to say so but BWM stuff is very well worth the money with Dainese a close second, followed by Rukka/Roadcraft.
I think you missed HG out of there somewhere, my Rally suite has simply been fantastic, especially for the money. Certainly ahead of Dainese IMO... :thumb And there is certainly no way Rukka is worth the money, no matter how anybody tries to convince me. As for the BM kit, I still can't make my mind up on that one, one thing it does have in it's favour is a great 2 year, no quibble warranty!

Back
Top Bottom