please a simple answer!

nedflanders

Reaction score
I'm abit of a numpty when it comes to GPS, got a Quest 1 running V6 European City Select. Whats the difference between City Select and City Navigator and whats the latest software I can put on it without slowing it down? :confused: :confused:

not very much. bit more detail in CN i believe (road signs etc.).

CN v.8

v.9 out early next year.

The latest version you can put on the Quest without slowing it down is CS7.

I'm running City Navigator v8 on my Quest1 without any problems, haven't noticed it running slower though to be honest didn't run it long on City Select v6 before upgrading. Works fine for my purposes and have noticed it has some recently built roads that City Select lacks.

Only downside to City Navigator that I've found is the mapping tile size which is a big negative if you do any long distance touring, have a look at my posts over on the VFR site on this subject if you want to know more.

and the answer is:

nedflanders said:
I'm abit of a numpty when it comes to GPS, got a Quest 1 running V6 European City Select. Whats the difference between City Select and City Navigator and whats the latest software I can put on it without slowing it down? :confused: :confused:

The differences between City Navigator Europe (CNE) and City Select Europe (CSE) are fairly technical. It all comes down to the number of database attributes that we are allowed to use in CSE compared to all of the ones used in CNE.

While in CNE we use all of the possible delivered attributes for all of the roads, in CSE, per agreement with NAVTEQ, we can only use a limited number of attributes. The lower number of attributes correspond to lower royalties to the data vendor for the CSE, however it will also correspond to a change in the route calculation or address search. The calculated route by CSE might be the same than CNE in most instances, but in some cases, the CNE route will be more effective than the CSE.

Example 1: CSE does not include time limitation (closed to traffic within some hours of the day) for the road links and will consider CLOSED to traffic any link with a time limitation attached to it. As a consequence the route calculated using CSE will avoid such roads. The route calculated with CNE will not avoid such road in the hours when the road is open.

Example 2: CSE does not include mid-road barriers awareness. In these terms, if the user starts his route from the "wrong" side of the road, the route calculation will tell him to turn left (or right - if in the UK), even though it will be impossible for the customer because there is indeed a barrier in the middle of the road which will not allow the user to go across the road.

Example 3: CNE address search works on 3 different administration levels at the same time, CSE address search only works on 2 different administration levels.

Again the differences will not be extremely evident, but if you notice discrepancies in route calculation, the above examples should be the key causing factors.

Similar situation you will find when you compare the MetroGuide Europe (MGE) route calculation to CNE.

Furthermore, while CNE will continue on evolving in functionality for the higher end units, CSE has pretty much reached the top of the functionality at the current stage and no major improvements should become available.

City Seelct is now defunct- only City Navigator is being made as from V8

email Nick Nick.Williams at garmin.com who is very helpful if you need a hand :thumb

Ok thanks for the replys, living in Germany I intend to do some decent touring next year. Thanks for the link Bumpkin I didn't realise how much memory CN is going to take, for now I might just try and get a copy of CS V7 and change to CN once I'm back living in the UK as touring will probably be alot more local then :(

nedflanders said:
I might just try and get a copy of CS V7
Don't be tempted by an update disk from eBay as Garmin will not unlock anything other than the current version. I had the same thoughts as you and purchased a set of genuine update disks from eBay, Garmin wouldn't release an unlock code for it so it's useless. I don't think there's a way around this unless you buy a set of CS7 disks complete with at least one unused unlock code.

Bumpkin said:
Don't be tempted by an update disk from eBay as Garmin will not unlock anything other than the current version. I had the same thoughts as you and purchased a set of genuine update disks from eBay, Garmin wouldn't release an unlock code for it so it's useless. I don't think there's a way around this unless you buy a set of CS7 disks complete with at least one unused unlock code.

So buy the cheapest SP3 etc which has only used one of the unlock codes, bit cheaper than buying City Nav on its own ;)

John Armstrong said:
So buy the cheapest SP3 etc which has only used one of the unlock codes, bit cheaper than buying City Nav on its own ;)
I already have City Nav 8 which I got FOC as an upgrade to the copy of City Select v6 that came with the unit. You may ask why I would want City Select v7, please read my posts on the VFR site from the link above for an explanation. Buying an old Garmin unit complete with City Select 7 and an unused unlock code is an option, that was really what I was suggesting. That or someone who has broken their unit and has the software and spare unlock kicking around.

Bumpkin said:
I already have City Nav 8 which I got FOC as an upgrade to the copy of City Select v6 that came with the unit. You may ask why I would want City Select v7, please read my posts on the VFR site from the link above for an explanation. Buying an old Garmin unit complete with City Select 7 and an unused unlock code is an option, that was really what I was suggesting. That or someone who has broken their unit and has the software and spare unlock kicking around.
Yep read your posts on the VFR forum, really interesting and good demonstration of the difference in memory usage between CS and CN.
Looking at how the prices of Garmins are falling I'll wait until next year to change the unit, I do like the Quest though, it's size, ease of use, internal battery and water resistance :( plus it doesn't look massive when it's mounted to the bike.

nedflanders said:
Yep read your posts on the VFR forum, really interesting and good demonstration of the difference in memory usage between CS and CN.
Hmmm - do you have a link to theese posts? I would like to read them since all comparisons I've done between CN and CS (same version of course!) shows that the difference in size is neglectable. :nenau

HMR said:
Hmmm - do you have a link to theese posts? I would like to read them since all comparisons I've done between CN and CS (same version of course!) shows that the difference in size is neglectable. :nenau
See post 4 of this thread for the link to the page of the thread with the relevant posts on, they're part way down the page.

True I'm comparing CS6 with CN8 but it's not the data density that's the issue, it's the tile size. There is no CS8 so direct comparison isn't possible and I don't have CS7, sorry.

The difference in total file size when considering coverage for a particular country is roughly comparable between CS and CN, the latter is a little larger but not significantly so (UK - CN8 = 172.8MB, CS6 = 154.4MB). It's when you try plotting a long European route that requires you to load a large number of map tiles that you run into trouble, have a look at the sample route via the link. Suffice to say a route in CN will need 2 to 3 times the memory when compared to CS. Granted you'll have far more off route data should you decide to wander but using CS you can always add extra 'off-route' tiles where you need them.

Of course this is only really an issue for users of Quests, or any other unit with limited fixed memory. Folks with units that have removable memory will just need to spend a small amount on a new Flash or SD card to increase capacity.

Bumpkin said:
True I'm comparing CS6 with CN8 but it's not the data density that's the issue, it's the tile size.

It's when you try plotting a long European route that requires you to load a large number of map tiles that you run into trouble, have a look at the sample route via the link. Suffice to say a route in CN will need 2 to 3 times the memory when compared to CS.
Right. I agree as long as what you actually mean is that v8 needs 2-3 times the memory when compared to v6 due to much larger tiles. What's confusing is that you write CS when you mean v6 and CN when you mean v8.

If you compare memory required for exactly the same area and same map version CN6 needs only 1-2% more than CS6. :type

HMR said:
Right. I agree as long as what you actually mean is that v8 needs 2-3 times the memory when compared to v6 due to much larger tiles. What's confusing is that you write CS when you mean v6 and CN when you mean v8.

If you compare memory required for exactly the same area and same map version CN6 needs only 1-2% more than CS6. :type
OK, not having CN6 I didn't know that, had assumed that CN always had the bigger tile sizes. MetroGuide Europe v8 still has small tiles, I'm lead to believe that CS7 had smaller tile sizes and the forced (if you want the latest mapping) upgrade to CNv8 has significantly reduced the usability of the Quest. I'm stuck with the choice of CS6 which will provide routes as far as I need or CN8 which is great for UK and short forays into Europe but crippled beyond.

Should have got a 2610 I suppose :(

Back
Top Bottom