over running

tallpaul415

Has any one else experienced this .....when you close the throttle it continues for about a second or two before shutting off, can prove exciting when riding .
Any idea whats causing this .....
Or is it a job for the dealer.

I've had it. Bl**dy frightening!

Hasn't happened in the last few thousand miles though. So its either cured itself, or I'm a bit more positive shutting off the throttle rather than just releasing it.

tallpaul415 said:
Has any one else experienced this .....when you close the throttle it continues for about a second or two before shutting off, can prove exciting when riding .
Any idea whats causing this .....
Or is it a job for the dealer.

Check the covers that go over the throttle return spring on the fuel injector. Mine was dragging on both sides and I removed them.

Thanks for that will check to see if that is the cause .....It has now stopped and returned to normal.

It is as FlyLow says,

My HP2 started doing this at about the 5000Km mark. Once the throttle did not return at all on a full throttle roll-on!! Loads-o-fun that was!!

Took it to the dealer and he showed my how the covers were ever so slightly interfering with the throttle on the right side jug. The left side had enough clearance and was not an issue.

The tech simply cut away a small area of the cover to allow more clearance and the throttle is now smooth again with no binding. We could even see a small area where the paint on the frame was wearing away. Seems the cover was being pushed in enough to cause the wear. The tech installed a small strip of 3M clear film to protect the area just in case but there is no more interference.

He said that removing the covers completely would not be an issue. They are just dirt shields and do not affect the machine in any way. Just clean the area a bit more thoroughly after a good mud flogging, which is actually easier with the covers removed anyway.

Bario

Hasn't happened in the last few thousand miles though. So its either cured itself, or ........
.........coincides exactly with when I took my covers off and put TT head guards on:rolleyes:

More throttle cable problems!

Interested to see that others have had problems with their throttle cable sticking.
Any pictures of these interfering covers and how to remove them?
I was looking at the bottom of the throttle cables today and could not see how to release the cables from the fuel injector end.
My cable seized up in the cold weather here in London. I let it tick over for a while and then opened the throttle a little OK, but then it stuck open.
Today I investigated and discovered that the cable had 'jumped' out of its slot at the handlebar end and was jammed at the side. I managed to get it back in place and then spent hours taking off the sidepanels of the tank to lubricate the lower cable runs to the fuel injectors. The left one was OK, the right one was really stiff.
A little bit of oil to the right lower cable made a big difference and it now returns OK UNLESS I open the throttle all the way, in which case it is still sticking.....
I also managed to crack the air intake mounting bracket when taking it off but have sealed it up with special tape.
It looks as if the twistgrip was designed for a double cable pulling in both directions. Is that what the GS1200 has?
Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
After I'd finished all the above, the battery had gone flat again, even though it's a much bigger and better-than-standard Odyssey. Damn!
PNB

Back
Top Bottom