New Ferry Service: P'mouth - Bilbao. January sailings

We used this boat (Fortuna) in November and it's fine.....the food's cheaper than on the P&O and Brittany ones (it's Spanish run and Spanish prices) and the accommodation is ok.

The timings are a bit odd though...on the way out, you board at Midday which is fine....you can have a drink for the first night then get off te boat in the early evening the next day...on the way back though, you board later and get off the boat late at night, so you can find yourself a bit stuck (Hence we ended up sleeping on that nice Mr Bakerman's front room floor, arriving at 3am :eek: )

It's a good and cheap alternative though.......

Just don't let the rather gorgeous hostess in the Disco entice you into 'playing a game' or you'll end up playing musical chairs with some hairy arsed pissed up truckers (I kid you not...it wasn't a pretty sight :nono )

Oh yeah, they serve Amstel beer as well......four or five of those and you swell up like you're going to pop...not good stuff :(

Two wheels good said:
http://www.acciona.ferries.org/
http://www.ferryto.co.uk/timetables.html

Hi
Acciona have commenced a service on this route - and they sail during January!

My single booking was a lot cheaper than Brittany F. via Plymouth and P&O via P'mouth

Another plus: Only one night on board
Unfortunately arrival in Bilbao is 17.00 approx

David

From wot I can see, the plymouth one aint running and the portsmouth one is not leaving till the 4th, which still wont get me ahead of the rally. Am I reaing this right?
Billy

at ferry 28th Dec1200hrs back 13th

From wot I can see, the plymouth one aint running and the portsmouth one is not leaving till the 4th, which still wont get me ahead of the rally. Am I reaing this right?
Billy

we have booked a ferry with this ferry company on the 28th Dec leaving from
Portsmouth mid day 1200 hrs back on ferry 13th at Bilbao:eek:

We used this boat (Fortuna) in November and it's fine.....the food's cheaper than on the P&O and Brittany ones (it's Spanish run and Spanish prices) and the accommodation is ok.

The timings are a bit odd though...on the way out, you board at Midday which is fine....you can have a drink for the first night then get off te boat in the early evening the next day...on the way back though, you board later and get off the boat late at night, so you can find yourself a bit stuck (Hence we ended up sleeping on that nice Mr Bakerman's front room floor, arriving at 3am :eek: )

It's a good and cheap alternative though.......

Just don't let the rather gorgeous hostess in the Disco entice you into 'playing a game' or you'll end up playing musical chairs with some hairy arsed pissed up truckers (I kid you not...it wasn't a pretty sight :nono )

Oh yeah, they serve Amstel beer as well......four or five of those and you swell up like you're going to pop...not good stuff :(

DITTO
i used this ferry over the new year with no problems.just remember its a 29 hour crossing.take something to keep you busy.
however ozzy did end up with a broken footrest some how.no doubt he will post a thread anytime now as he should be back.

Last edited:
if any of you guys and gals planning on going portsmouth to bilboa via p and o ferries better get booked up soon, 2 bed cabin on 16th june my original dates, were sold out. Have now booked up 13th- return 21 june :clap

Still not sure which ferry to book. May have to go to spain twice this year trying out Brittany and Acciona for comparison so I don't have the same dilemma next year....:confused:

Anyhow, for roughly similar dates in june, for just me and the bike return, the price is about £170 on brittany and acciona. With acciona I get a cabin and proper sleep, with brittany i get a seat and but don't spend so long on the ferry. So I took a look at how much time I would be on the ferry having to occupy myself/sunbathe/read etc outside of sleeping hours (say 8hrs):

Brittany Ferries: Approx 22 hrs for outbound and inbound.
Acciona = approx 40 hrs for outbound and inbound.

So does having a cabin but spending all that time on the boat outweigh not having a cabin but being on the boat for a much shorter period?:nenau

If you've got a long ride on the other side, you could be totally fekked by sitting on a grotty sofa and trying to get some sleep while pissed up truckers and bawling children wail around you.......

If time permits, plan the longer journey in and treat it as a mini cruise.....relax and enjoy it :thumb

Then again, ear plugs, bivvi bag in a quiet place up on top and a cheapo eye mask like they give you on a long haul flight might well work....depends how well you travel :thumb

Back
Top Bottom