Zumo 550 Question

jonothan

Reaction score
I've installed the Zumo 550 onto my 1200GS using the Motorradconcepts mount. I'm delighted with the end result though I must confess to asking the BMW Dealer to wire it in as I wanted the wiring to look professionally done - they did do a very good job, taking off the tank and panels to run the wire alongside the loom and soldering the connectors on properly. With the Scala bluetooth headset, it really works superbly. I'm very happy.

One small question. On top of the Zumo mount, there's a tiny screw to fasten the Zumo securely onto the mount with the small special screwdriver that's provided. Because the screen position makes it hard to get to the screw easily, my question is this. Do you really need to fasten that screw when the Zumo's installed or is it pretty safe with the clamp alone?

Thanks

J

jonothan said:
One small question. On top of the Zumo mount, there's a tiny screw to fasten the Zumo securely onto the mount with the small special screwdriver that's provided. Because the screen position makes it hard to get to the screw easily, my question is this. Do you really need to fasten that screw when the Zumo's installed or is it pretty safe with the clamp alone?

Thanks

J

:nenau That seems like a 'how long is a piece of string' type question Jonothan :nenau

Grab the unit and wrench it about a bit......see how secure it feels and TBH after that, only you can decide how high the effort/reward/risk of it being nicked is in any particular location.

FWIW, I wouldn't leave it on the bike unless I could see it.....for the effrt it takes to remove it, it's not worth it.

Then again, I'm inside the scrote-ridden M25 area :(

I wouldn't leave my GPS on view unless I was very close at hand, far to tempting for some scrote, security screw or not, they will have a go at ripping it off

You MUST tighten the security-torx screw on the mount. :thumb

As far as I am aware, the security-torx screwdriver that is included is a tight/neat fit to use, but I think there is available - a shorter one that makes it easier to undo.

I know it can be a pain to undo if you have the screwdriver on a bunch of keys, but it's better than watching your GPS bouncing down the road in your mirrors :eek:

Dutch is away for the weekend :beer: , but I dare say he will respond when he gets home, with the definitive advice.

Al :thumb

I installed my Zumo a couple of weeks ago. On the first few rides I used the security screw but found it very very difficult to remove when I popped into a shop or something!

I haven't used the screw since and all has been fine. I think if your on normal roads then all will be OK, if you go on bumby gravel tracks then the security screw may be worth it.

I doubt the security screw would make any difference to a thief.

I'd never leave the Zumo on the bike if I wasn't within twenty feet of it.

The question was really in reference to how securely attached the unit is to the mount and whether or not the security screw is essential. I note that the car mount doesn't have it and it seems pretty tightly attached to both mounts with the clip alone.

As I said, the 1200GS screen makes it hard to access the screw when the Motorradconcepts bracket is used.

J

I was told by Garmin at the show that the Zumo cant come off even if you don't fasten the screw. The screw is designed as piece of mind and a security deterant.

Back
Top Bottom