Tom Crean - Arctic Explorer

Padge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Tom Crean one man live show.
Is it worth going?

Planning to get tickets as christmas presents but not sure if I'll be loved or hated for the gesture..

I'd go

Padge
Haven't seen it but would like to. Walked across the glacier named after him recently as part of the Shackleton route in South Georgia. Tom Crean was the greatest Kerryman ever bar none. The fact that he has been rescued from an unjustified obscurity over the last ten years gives me immense satisfaction, as does the fact that a one man show celebrates his life and achievement. He was one (hell of a) man, he was some man, put John Wayne in the shade. Go and see it; bring someone you care about with you. Tell us about the show afterwards, please.:thumb

Antarctic

Padge
Minor point, Tom Crean was never in the Artic but was on three Antarctic expeditions. If ever in Annascaul visit the "South Pole Inn" once owned by the great man.
You will have gathered I'm a fan.:bow :bow :bow

Why did we not get a Shackleton / Crean memorial instead of that bloody spike in O'Connell St ?
Two real heroes, models for young generation, selfless sacrifice to save others.

Padge
Minor point, Tom Crean was never in the Artic but was on three Antarctic expeditions. If ever in Annascaul visit the "South Pole Inn" once owned by the great man.
You will have gathered I'm a fan.:bow :bow :bow

I'm a fan too and visited the pub in 1988:beer:

Is it worth going?

Planning to get tickets as christmas presents but not sure if I'll be loved or hated for the gesture..

saw the first half in Tallagh civic , enjoyed it, informative, put across in a lighthearted way, would like to see the whole thing.
D:thumb

Is it worth going?

I went to see this guy in March in Dublin, very worthwhile going to see - sometimes funny, sometimes serious, and always believable - incredible how he remembers such a long monologue for whatever, 1-1.5 hours?

I'd definitely go to see it again if it was anywhere close.

I was in the South Pole Inn last year and made pilgrimage to the great man's grave. Why the heck has it taken so long to begin to recognise an undoubted hero......don't tell me I know already!!
I would love to have oportunity to see one man show.....when is it coming up North?

One of the giants of the Golden Age of antarctic exploration :bow

I first read about his exploits with Shackleton in the library at Rothera Research Station. Fantastic stuff.

British Antarctic Expedition 1910

. . Lieut. Edward E.G.R.Evans R.N. (Evans of the BROKE) in his book "South with Scott" publ. 1924, freely acknowledges, that he would have died without Crean's support & encouragement. Petty Officer R.N.,Tom Crean was a man of tremendous strength in times of adversity.
Lashly, C. Stoker R.N. also played a significant part in that expedition.
As Evans states "Crean & Lashly had the hearts of lions."

sounds good:thumb

so....
now we've the appetite for it...
where / when is the show on?:nenau

:)

Olympia, Dublin 8-13th Jan 2007
Tickets 20-30Euro..

Ps, you're comments have convinced me to buy the tickets as a present.. I've had a huge interest in Crean for years, so there was no need to convince me I'd be interested.. Just needed to know whether someone who'd no knowledge or intertest in the man would enjoy the show.

Finally got to see this show in Tralee tonight - really excellent; totally recommended.- go see. :thumb2

You don't have any further info on dates/locations perchance Gerry? If it was on in Dundalk or in the wee north I would be interested in going. Thanks.

You don't have any further info on dates/locations perchance Gerry? If it was on in Dundalk or in the wee north I would be interested in going. Thanks.

Likewise Gerry, I had a wee sail on Jarlath Cunane's replica and have done the pilgrimage to SP Inn. An awful small boat for such an exposed journey. Any info appreciated. Would even go down the rocky road to Dublin to see

... put John Wayne in the shade.

comparing a real man like Tom Crean to an actor:nono

People need to read the recent book on him (cant remember the name now) but that will give a better perspective on a ginat of a human..

.Why did we not get a Shackleton / Crean memorial instead of that bloody spike in O'Connell St ?

Agreed on a Crean memorial, but not a shackelton.:thumb2

Oct 7 -8 2008

Siamsa Tire Theatre, Tralee

Box Office 066 712 3055

www.siamsatire.com

Oct 10 – 11

Friars Gate Theatre, Kilmallock

Box Office 063 98727

www.friarsgate.ie

Oct 20 – 25

Belltable @ Red Cross Hall, Limerick

Box Office 061 319 866.