Quest Question: ability to select Major Roads versus Minor Roads

samtheeagle

Hi there main dameys,

I swear I had seen a page/screen on my Quest that allowed me to select my routing preference for major roads versus minor roads (by sliding a bar along a horizontal line). Is this possible? (I've searched my Quest high and low and driven myself nearly insane trying to find it).

Or is this only a feature available while using Mapsource on my computah?

I'm asking because my Quest has sent me on some rather small roads lately, even though I tell it to route via "fastest route".

Thanks for your helpfulnecessity! :beer:

- Sam

I did check out the Elsinga website (sent them a nice comment and heard back from Robert within minutes). :)

The website does not have any details on the "major roads - minor roads" slider.

I also just downloaded the Quest manual and the manual doesn't mention it either.

:-\

Sam

There's a slider on my 2610 but I can't remember having one on any of my three Quests :nenau

No slider, but you do get to set various vehicle types, from 'pedestrian' up to 'Truck' and including Motorcycle.......that selects different road classes as preferences.

Plus what the nekked one said :thumb

I shall ponder deeply on the meanings of your responses.

Here is my way of thanking you:

:peach:

- Sam

I swear I had seen a page/screen on my Quest that allowed me to select my routing preference for major roads versus minor roads (by sliding a bar along a horizontal line). Is this possible? (I've searched my Quest high and low and driven myself nearly insane trying to find it).
This slider thing is available on some Garmins. Look under System Setup > Routing.

But the sooner you forget it the better. It doesn't work. The only way to select roads is to do it manually in MapSource on the PC, add a few extra roadwaypoints to force the route onto the roads you prefer, and then upload the route to the Quest.

One reason why the Quest (nor MapSource) isn't successful in following the guidelines "big roads only" or "avoid gravel" is that the underlying information, as road quality, isn't present in the map data.

Your Quest has no information about neither road surface nor road width for most of the roads so there is no way it can make any intelligent road selections. Regard the route calculated in the Quest as a suggestion only. Use your eyes and your common sense when you are out riding.

It's a real shame ...

I'd have liked a 'green-lanes' / 'gravel roads' only option on my Quest :D

J

This slider thing is available on some Garmins. Look under System Setup > Routing.

But the sooner you forget it the better. It doesn't work. The only way to select roads is to do it manually in MapSource on the PC, add a few extra roadwaypoints to force the route onto the roads you prefer, and then upload the route to the Quest.

One reason why the Quest (nor MapSource) isn't successful in following the guidelines "big roads only" or "avoid gravel" is that the underlying information, as road quality, isn't present in the map data.

Your Quest has no information about neither road surface nor road width for most of the roads so there is no way it can make any intelligent road selections. Regard the route calculated in the Quest as a suggestion only. Use your eyes and your common sense when you are out riding.

Beg to differ fella, but it does work, and perfectly well too.

Selecting particular roads to follow is something rather different.

Back
Top Bottom