GPS (again) - sorry!

bigchris

Reaction score
I've tried to avoid the 'which unit is best' thread, since thats worn thin as much as the elbows in my jumper im wearing right now...but...

I noticed that theres a lot of talk on here about 2610's, and many people seem to use em and rate em.

Why, given you can get zumo's, 2720's etc which are newer (and I suppose better)?

Is it just money cost or am I missing something?

Also, if I were to go and spend the dosh on a zumo which uses bluetooth to talk to me, could I still just plug a cable in, like on a 2610? (I cant find anything to fit my helmet, see previous thread I started with 0 replies..)

So whats the score? :eek

2610 - discontinued model, so some are available at very cheap prices for what once was a £700 machine, there again, the SP3 was about £1000 when it came out:eek: The 2720 etc at around £500 aren't twice as good as the 2610, unless it has a must have feature, eg POI loader, full UK post code search, MP3 player etc etc.

Bluetooth - IMHO seems to be more problems with units talking to each other, so unless you go the BM Nav 3 and system 5 helmet at around £1500 you might have compatability problems. At least with the Autocom etc providing the voice instructions it's technology that's proven and fairly easily trouble shot. Do you want to be a beta tester for the bluetooth makers?

All IMHO and YMMV

Why can't they bloody sort out the 2610 so it doesn't keep saying 'turn right on the A two hundred and forty nine' :spitfire

It's not the poxy A two hundred and forty nine...it's the bloody a two four nine!!!!!

Drove us mad coming across Spain and constantly hearing 'N two thousand four hundred and sixty four' :spitfire :spitfire :spitfire :tears

It's just too much bargain ....

I guess a lot of people (me included) wanted one as soon as they came out (IIRC - there wasn't that many around when they did!) ... but couldn't afford them then ... now that they're so cheap people are going for them - me, included :D

Just wish the touratech mounts had fallen by a similar amount :eek:

J

Why can't they bloody sort out the 2610 so it doesn't keep saying 'turn right on the A two hundred and forty nine' :spitfire

It's not the poxy A two hundred and forty nine...it's the bloody a two four nine!!!!!

Drove us mad coming across Spain and constantly hearing 'N two thousand four hundred and sixty four' :spitfire :spitfire :spitfire :tears

Why not have Betty speaking Spanish. That would have made it a bit more "interesting":p

I don't need all the bells and whistles of the latest units so the 2610 suits me, and I say that as someone who didn't buy one of the recent bargains.

HELPPPPPPP

Wotcha oh wise and skilled lords of the 2610, I bought one of these wizard boxes from a soothsayer several passings of the moon since.....
I will be buggered if I can work out how to update my maps on my apple lap top.
I want some maps of Scotland and Wales. Can anyone recomend a web site I could visit to get this, sorry to ask to but Im rubbish with these things.....

Farmerelli

My 2610 doesn't tell me which road number to turn onto, all I get on audio is turn left or right. The dispaly tells me which road number or name but not the audio. Is it an option you can switch on and off, 'cos I'd actually quite like more detailed audio. Any thoughts :nenau

2610 is an excellent unit, without some of the 'modern' features. At the current price it does seem a bargain - it hurts to remember what I paid.
'Weaknesses' are:
- rather big to stick in your pocket when you leave the bike
- searching is eccentric - no easy postcode look up
- doesn't have internal batteries
- no traffric alerts
- no proper speed camera alerts (although you can get a map of red dots)
- no MP3 play capability etc
- no bluetooth

If you just want to plan a route and get there its still a great unit (IMHO!)

The 2610 is the last unit designed by "engineers". So you can custom programme it so many ways, but you'll not see the use until you've delved into the world of GPS functions a bit more . So if your new to GPS it can be a bit duanting, but very quickly learnable.

The latest models are designed with sales in mind, so appeal to the person who just wants to find a destination simply ( don't we all :D ), and with lots of added extras, mp3, bluetooth etc, which aren't anything to do with location, find and planning a route.
You'll find the custom alterations no where near as useful as the "old" 2610, and once you've had your GPS for a while and want to explore it's usefulness, you'll find the limitations of the new models.

Look at it like the new 1200GS, and the 1150.
The newer model is great. But it only does the same job as the older model, but not as solidly. IMHO

2610 gets my vote :thumb

it might not have all the bells and whistles of the new models, but i love it.

i wanted one for years but could never stretch to the 600-1000quid price tag.

now they are 240 inc bike kit from gpsw.co.uk i couldnt resist it.

and i find mapsource excellent for route planning.

Back
Top Bottom