Oxon (or local) IAM group

carcher2k

Guys and gals,

I finally decided that it was about time I had some advanced training, so at the NEC i signed up to the IAM. Two weeks later, I got my pack through, read all the bits and bobs, and tried to make contact with the Oxon group leader, printed as being John Lang.

This was about two weeks ago now, and I've not had a reply. I was just wondering if anyone on here knew if John was still running the Oxon group, if it still even exists, etc.

Would like to start my observed rides soonish, so the sooner i can touch base with the group, the better really.

Cheers

Chris

Leave it to me Chris. I'm the Chairman of Oxford group (for my sins) so I'll get him to get in touch with you. To be fair to John (who's a GSer nowadays), I suspect HQ simply hasn't sent the paperwork to him yet...:eek:

You never know, if you're really lucky, you could end up with me as your Observer :eek:

But I'll sort it either way.:thumb

I finally decided that it was about time I had some advanced training, so at the NEC i signed up to the IAM.

Fundamental error.

The IAM is most insistent that they don't provide instruction. Your 'observer' is not an instructor and cannot tell you what to do, merely suggest that you 'consider' taking some action or other.

This, I suspect, is to try to avoid any legal claim should you have an accident as a result of following the 'consideration'. I suspect, however, that no matter what the IAM may like to call you, any half-competent Court will see that you are indeed providing instruction.

Anyway, good luck.

I hope that you're made of sterner stuff than two of my associates who have decided to give up riding until April 'cos of the weather. And that you'll actually go out and do some practise between observed runs.

IAM Oxford

Hi Chris,

I organise the bike observers for the Oxford group, but I've not received your details.
Best action is for you to give me a call to discuss on 01280 823111.

John Lang

Back
Top Bottom