Tokyo Tuning In

Delirious

Hi Folks,

Newbie here tuning in from Tokyo. I'm a brit expat and been in Tokyo for 6 years now. Been riding bikes for 3 - 4 years as it is the best way to get around Tokyo and there are some fantastic rides to be had out there on this island. Some of my favourite trips include the Izu peninsular and the mountain range around Mt. Fuji. You can blast mountain passes and coastal roads all in the same day here :D

Anyway on to my current dilema. I have two bikes right now. An '04 Honda VFR800 VTEC and a very newly purchased BMW K1200S (Aug. '06). I love the Honda and it gets the daily abuse treatment. Commute, shopping you get the picture. The K12 is reserved for more fun rides or the days I don't have a lot to carry to work. The K12 is also not so good in town, it is hard to get the bugger over 3,000rpms with all the traffic and low speed limits. Whence it is reserved for the weekend blasts and boy is it good at that :D

I have always been a huge fan of the GS range of bikes and I really like the R1200GS. My VFR and K12 are really very similar bikes, both sports tourers. I was thinking of selling the VFR in the spring of next year and replacing it for an R1200GS. If I do this though am I just replacing the VFR with something very similar yet again? (Bear in mind I don't intend to off-road.) So instead should I go for some sort of single seated sports bike? I am also concerned that having 2 beemers will turn me into some sort of crazy beemer fanatic :ymca Oh and the final question; Is the R1200GS build quality and reliability a match on my VFR? The VFR currently has close to 37,000kms in 2.5 yrs and has never missed a beat or needed anything doing to it barring the usual consumables.

I am sure there are many people on this site that have 2 bikes. What combinations of bikes do you all have?

Well that is probably enough for my first post except to say safe riding all.

Oh the joy in the dilema's about what a 2nd bike should be ;)

Cheers,
Delirious.

Firstly welcome to the site Delirious ... what a dilema you have to solve.

I currently ride and own a GS and a Honda Hornet. Two very different bikes offeirng two very different rides.

Enjoy your stay .... :)

Hello mate and welcome :thumb

The main theme of your post is probably more suitable for the 'Go On You Know You Want One' Forum (previously 'To GS or not GS') really,but I`m sure there`ll be lots of advice soon enough.:beerjug:

I am sure there are many people on this site that have 2 bikes. What combinations of bikes do you all have?

Welcome aboard Delirious.

I have three bikes - all Beemers - and all different.

They all get about the same level of usage (around 5,000 miles pa each) with the K1200GT getting the most miles in because it is used for long haul trips.

Horses for courses, I wouldn't want to part with any of them.

Voyager :thumb

Attachments

• DSCN0434A.jpg
    DSCN0434A.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 105
herrow and welcome!:D
what a lovely place to live.i went to tokyo in the 80's when i was a chef working for a company suppling a JAL and loved every minuete.i would like to see the average japaniese man on a GS:eek:
sianaro[is that right]or a bow will do.:thumb

Welcome Delirious, I would love to hear how the Japanese would say that, Some dilema, I recon that the VFR ,although a great bike ,is too similar for your type of riding. I recon some sort of classic, BM or other would give you a nice variety, If modern ,what about the Triumphs, Daytona or scrambler:thumb

Hello all and thanks for the welcome. Voyager, what a nice selection of bikes you have. Wish there was room for 3 bikes in my shed. Sadly only room for 2. I'm tempted by something like a fire blade, GSXR1000 etc but think that the K1200S is fast enough really. It is a shame though as Japanese bikes here are half the price of BMW's. I could go for a Ducati but I am worried about reliability and build quality.

Always wanted a GS and just love the 1200 variety. I think it would replace the VFR nicely and yet keep things different enough from the K1200S. Maybe I will go the GS route but there is still quite a bit of time to make my mind up yet as I won't be doing anything with it until at least the spring of next year.

Oh and for Ash19600, sayonarra for now.

Cheers,
James.

Trippy, Konichiwa; Is your avatar Graham Fellows aka Jilted John? Sure looks a bit like him.

Cheers,
Delirious.

Back
Top Bottom