Mods and accessories

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
Come on you lot !!! Let's see them there mods etc that you have carried out or accessories fitted. We can learn from each others mistakes !!!

Just as a start, here's my home made jobbie ( thanks to Hayden as well - good workshop) of a stainless steel chain guard as I personally don't rate/like the BMW original.

Attachments

• stainless chain guard.jpg
    stainless chain guard.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 878
I've got the Touratech version with the coresponding sensor guard on the brake side but appart from that the (my) bike is bog standard. Trouble is there does'nt seem to be that much wrong with the thing to warrant spending out to change. Luggage is the obvious next big purchase and appart from some heated grips for the winter.

Regards
Andy80F

sorry kenny

no digital camera...

mods on mine...

clear screen which has a lovely lavender hue around the edges at night and stops a lot of bugs hitting me......

bought the low version...... big mistake!!!
have had to have the centre stand modified to stop it scraping round bends (grinding off metal at the base)

have had a smaller stop put on the side stand so that it travels back further... stops it scraping round left handers ... honest!!

bought hand guards 2 days ago and finding them very beneficial, especially in rain
but mistake i (or bmw) made is that i thought they were only £25

when you open the box, the instructions explain that if you havent forked out for heated grips, you have to buy handlebar weights at £9.37 EACH!!!

never mind... pauls credit card sorted out that little problem

desparate for the luggage but cant afford it until i get a proper job

Marion, I got some superb info from Simon re panniers...the BMW ones really do look made to measure..but I'm sure others will go down the Touratech route. When the panniers are off the bike, virtually no pannier frame can be seen, unlike all the other makes etc

Blag Hubbys card and get some BMW panniers :) I'm sure he'll love you all the more for being positive ( !!!)

Kenny

Attachments

• full image.jpg
    full image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 836
mods i forgot about

forgot about meta alarm system, better than the datatool on my last bike. alarm fits in key and you dont have to put it on service mode to fillup the tank.

BMW engine guard, ...just in case i fall off !!! on the low model i've got, it scrapes the kerb if you ride up/down them, so it restricts my parking capacity.

the thingy that you can plug your optimate in to make charging the battery a simple job (whats it called... you techiis can tell me)
brilliant and simple.
finally... BMW TANK BAG with its natty little shower hat and its capacity to get very big if you play with the zips.............

think i might think about a beak xxxx

defginately got to be BMW panniers the touratech ones tend to look like crates i think

At the recent Sammy Miller German bike day there was a big twin with Touratech Zega cases which had coloured sticky back plastic (shades of Blue Peter) on the sides. The effect was to break up the slab sided look of the boxes and blend it in, if only a little, to the bike. Very effective. I'm surprised few people paint or enhance thier zega cases in this way.

Regards
Andy80F

Fitted fender extender (boring but very useful) and a home made chain oiler that soaks the chain with old engine oil at the turn of a bolt. I'll get some digital pics soon. Beats £60+ for a ScotOiler!:alian

a few inches makes all the difference....

had hand guards fitted last week
the extra 3-4 inches in width makes it really hard for me to get in to car parks without paying now
i can usually ride round the side of the barriers at uni, i now have to slow down and negotiate very carefully

Whats a guy got to do to be allowed to post some pickies on this site. Finally got me home made oiler photo'd, only to read me not allowed to attached any pic's!
Bum :mad:

Andy80F said:
At the recent Sammy Miller German bike day there was a big twin with Touratech Zega cases which had coloured sticky back plastic (shades of Blue Peter) on the sides. The effect was to break up the slab sided look of the boxes and blend it in, if only a little, to the bike. Very effective. I'm surprised few people paint or enhance thier zega cases in this way.

Regards
Andy80F
'Blue Peter' He'll like that, Uncle Albert as we know him is in fact Peter. When he gets back from his fave Switzerland he is going to get on-line and he might choose Blue Peter as his username (though I hope he chooses Uncle Albert instead :thumb

SteveT asked;
Whats a guy got to do to be allowed to post some pickies on this site.
Become a forums sponser.............. :ukgser

Gwan, gwan, gwan, gwan, gwan

only a coupla quid - whatever you want

have a search on this site..................you'll find it here too :D

My first post:

My F650 is red and built in 1994. What mods and accessories you're asking?

-bagster leather tankbag
-heated handgrips
-handguards
-centerstand
-3 cases (topcase: 21 litre)
-hyperpro progressive suspension (front & rear) Superb!!!!

The next thing will be steelflex brakelines
And then: scottoiler, agressive brakepads, GPS-system etc etc.

Yeah it's my baby.;)

diy chain oiler

hi all has anyone got any pictures of diy chain oilers as i am wanting to build one for my f650 (no cash and lots of scrap) as this is my first attempt i was wondering if anyone has got any advice on where to fix the tank,route the pipework ect.
any help will be much appreciated.
wedg:beerjug:

Rock Stock

Step 1: Get Volvo'd (unless finances permit you to toss hard earned money down the "improvement" rathole). Tower menacingly over yuppie f#ckwit Volvo-cell-phone-operator/driver and get a declaration that "it's all my fault"

Step 2: Collect insurance check.

Step 3: Grab a bunch of other people's take-offs (forks, fr-wheel, bars, etc) at 1/2 the price on the estimate and stop by your friendly local Touratech dealer.

Step 4: Realize that all the bloody instructions are in German, and that you neither speak or read that cruel race's language, and press-on-regardless. I mean, it all has to fit someplace, right?.

100-1100_2.jpg

Step 5: Paint with discount auto-house bumper spray for $65 (USD) in the back room of your apartment. Mum's-the-word to the landlord, eh? Still not sure about the blue highlights. At times I think they are gay-as-a-debutante. May re-shoot them this winter.

21828-M-3.jpg

Well, I do have some advantages. Touratech-USA is about 10 blocks from my cave, and Tom and the boys are great guys. As are Norm and the lads at Ride West BMW here in Seattle, USA, who didn't blink an eye as I hauled truckloads of take-offs into their shop for installation and who understood that while I may have been paid for stock body work none of the stock Bavarian plastic was going back on, and, this can not be emphasized too much, my landlord is never about. A lesser dealer would have insisted on factory fresh BMW parts. B#llocks that. A lesser man would not have done all this work on the rear deck of an apartment bldg. :p

So I now have 39L of range, beefed up fork springs, re-positioned controls, and a stock exhaust with a Techlusion "Fuel Nanny". And I may be the only rider in the USA that appreciates the stock exhaust, but I think it is a pretty nice design. Quiet, US Forestry Service legal, and cheap as a take-off. So much so that I have two spares (cheap from the Staintune faithful).

Anyways, this is just about perfect for where I live. Lot's of mountains to explore, twisty back-roads, and lot's of dirt ranging from single track to endless miles of fire roads. Please don't hate me. :eek: Well, not for superficial reasons. :D

Back
Top Bottom