GPS Question(s)

sandbaggerone

Reaction score
Not again, I can imagine you thinking.

But I have got to get it correct in my mind before I fork out such a big bunch of readies.

To date I have read both in pamphlets and on the web as much as I can on the subject, visiting loads of sites dealing in or just reviewing GPS systems, which I have at moment narrowed down to a Garmin V or a Street Pilot III.

I would like to hear the thoughts of people who have systems and use them. My trouble is that none of my friends and colleagues have GPS so I am unable to see either them being programmed or in use.

I would be obliged for any advice on the two systems already mentioned including fittings and accessories required or any other types that you my use.

TIA
Frank

I`ve had my GPS V for a year now and there have been times when I could have ripped it off the bike and hurled it into a field..in fact whilst trying to navigate through Venlo on the German border in a car I had to stop my wife from doing just that.

I`ve come to the conclusion that it is useful as a navigation aid but you cant rely on it to faultlessly get you where you want to go. You have to pay attention to it which can be a bit grim when you`re trying to ride a bike in traffic!.

I recently took my bike to a rally in Germany and programmed a route through some nice forest scenery. I did`nt follow the route exactly but rode up roads that took my fancy and let the GPS get me back onto my route if I wandered too far...I found that very useful.

Overall though I would`nt be without it.

So based on those comments get the SPC III because you don't need to look at the screen quite so much if you have it into your helmet - the voices that is !!!
I have been using an SPC III for several months now and the difference over using a map is UNBELEIVABLE. Mine is never of the bike (except when I'm in the car!) and to say it gets used is an understatement. A small group of us ride every weekend of the year - only snow stops us.
We live on the Yorkshire/Derbyshire borders and have fantastic access to the Peak District. I've lived here all my life but I am finding and using roads I didn't even know existed. Because you are never afraid of getting lost you explore more.
Programming can seem abit daunting but is very easy if you are computer literate - you posted on here so you must be!!
If you fancied a run down Rainbow motorcycles in Sheffield have a demo SPC III whifch they will loan for a couple of hours (ring and ask to speak to David)
My forum name was given to me by my riding mates because of the roads we were using!!
Buy one, have fun and never regret it.
Sherpa;)

I'm a relative newcomer to all of this GPS stuff, but I saw both units demo'd last year at the annual BMW Clubs bash. I heckled and joined the rest of the 'you can buy a bloody lot of maps for that price' brigade. Trouble was, the seed had begun to germinate..

I've done some 10,000 miles on my Be-Em in the last 15 months, and as I don't ride when the salts down, you can see that a lot of the mileage has been done on 'trips' etc. I figured that a GPS V was in my price bracket (just), but after a bit of browsing, got a price of a smidge over £400.

I rang the nice man at www.adventure-motorcycling.co.uk as he was the one I'd heckled, and as such figured he deserved my dosh, and he matched the price. Add to this a handlebar mount of artistic quality from Touratech and I was up 'n' running.

A 1500 mile trip round Scotland (rapidly becoming an annual event to take in the SSDT pre-65 stuff) proved it to be bloody brilliant!! No stopping to confer with maps in the mist and rain etc. and the option of planning a route before departure. Excellent. If you stray off this route, it recalculates and gets you back on track.

That was Scotland. I've just taken it on the National Rally and found it's major weakness - it ain't got enough memory at only 19mb for all of my route around the North and Midlands. I had to guesstimate two or three checkpoints as the map page for Manchester and the surrounding area was about 3.5mb alone!

This beng the case, I would, with the benefit of hindsight, suggest the 128mb SPIII.

So there you have it, both are damned good, just that the more expensive one is just that - twice the price.

I'll be sticking with the V for a while, I'm happy with it.

Steve.

PS - Sorry about the length of this missive, but I've a glass of Southern Comfort next to me. Cheers. hic.:thumb

sandbaggerone said:

But I have got to get it correct in my mind before I fork out such a big bunch of readies.

Frank
I was exactly the same as you when I wanted to buy one.
I chose the SP3. as it's screen is bigger, the memory is expandable and the colour screen makes it much easier to see, I've had mine for 18months now and it's the best bike accessory I've ever bought.
None of them will replace a map, but the crucial thing about them is you always know exactly where you are at any given time.
Sometimes the route it calculates for you will make you smile, cry,
and bemuse you. but spend your dosh and get one and learn to use it as an aid and not the be and end all.
Enjoy

John:beerjug:

sandbaggerone said:

Frank
I was exactly the same as you when I wanted to buy one.
I chose the SP3. as it's screen is bigger, the memory is expandable and the colour screen makes it much easier to see, I've had mine for 18months now and it's the best bike accessory I've ever bought.
None of them will replace a map, but the crucial thing about them is you always know exactly where you are at any given time.
Sometimes the route it calculates for you will make you smile, laugh cry, and bemuse you. but spend your dosh and get one and learn to use it as an aid and not the be and end all.
Enjoy

John:beerjug:

GPS questions

Like you I was weighing up the pros & cons of getting a GPS. I finally succumbed and bought a BMW Navigator. I'm OK with maps but the hassle of navigating whilst riding was beginning to take the edge off enjoyng the riding.

Once I'd taken the plunge it was a revelation. Point and go. Admittedly some of the routes were a little strange but I enjoyed the diversions. Best thing is that you always have maps with you.

Mine was nicked about 8 weeks ago - long story but the insurance paid up. I have now replaced with a Streetpilot III (BMW is the same rebadged and a list of BMW dealers added).

You will need to get familiar with the Mapsource software to get the full use out of the system but it is worth the effort.

Best price I've seen so far was posted on the board recently (£705 inc. VAT) from Costco.

The battery life (6 AA size) is about 2/3 hours so you will need to wire it into the bike system - I took the easy route and bought the BMW cable - fitted in 1 hour.

Keith

Now had my StrretPilot III for two months & its been on the bike for nearly 3000 miles & in the car for 1000. During that time it has proven a great asset & I rate the item highly. The ability to just enter an address & let the unit take you there is invaluable; both for short & long journeys. I attended the Motogiro d'Italia earlier this month, can you imagine riding off the ferry in Cherbourg & being told exactly the way to a hotel in the centre of Bologna, Italy- 800 miles away.! But even for visiting new addresses in my nearest city I use the GPS now; it saves all the stress of trying to use an A-Z with frequents stops to read.
Now I'm not being too sexist here, :D but my wife 'doesn't do maps'; her mystification of them is legion. However, she is entirely at ease with the GPS directing her in the car - and that is praise indeed!
A big:thumb :thumb from me!

If I remember right there is a Costco next to the Metro Centre at Gateshead.

Mike

ralphy said:
I attended the Motogiro d'Italia earlier this month, can you imagine riding off the ferry in Cherbourg & being told exactly the way to a hotel in the centre of Bologna, Italy- 800 miles away!

It's hard to describe how powerful this is! On my recent trip to Austria, we were packing in high daily mileages. There is a significant time-saving and the absence of massive stress levels in being directed straight to your hotel/destination without having to get out maps or ask directions in a foreign language.

But even for visiting new addresses in my nearest city I use the GPS now; it saves all the stress of trying to use an A-Z with frequents stops to read.

I use it all the time in London - especially sarf Lundun which I don't know too well.

Now I'm not being too sexist here, :D but my wife 'doesn't do maps'; her mystification of them is legion. However, she is entirely at ease with the GPS directing her in the car - and that is praise indeed!

Ditto!

Greg

ralphy said:
Without doubt this is Mrs Judges all-time favourite battery operated handheld device ;)

She has the geographical awareness of a mole with a heavy cold but give her the SPIII and she's away. One half hour demo and she was able to use it fine.

A couple of weeks ago without a prompt from me the low fuel light came on in the car, she used the 'find' function to look up auto fuel and chose her nearest fave BP station without so much as a blink.

And yet she still has to stop and think when using the ome entertainment stuff in our living room :thumb

Got my new toy at last…

Well I’ve got it, Garmin Streetpilot III. First impression………WOW.

This will be very handy piece of kit. I only have to master it first, and doing that is going to be fun fun fun.

I still have to fit the mount to the handle bars, and deciding where will take a bit of thought, as I don’t really want to be moving it around. That and the hardwiring of the power lead will be a job for the weekend.

Although I’m usually OK learning new software, I think that to get the best out of MapSource will take some studying; of course I have little patience at the moment having just taken delivery.

Thanks to all who answered my original mail, your advice was invaluable.

Frank

Apparently GPS users do it with great accuracy.

Re: Got my new toy at last…

sandbaggerone said:
Well I’ve got it, Garmin Streetpilot III. First impression………WOW.

...the hardwiring of the power lead will be a job for the weekend.

Well done, you won't regret it!

When hardwiring, use a permanently live source (ie not ignition switched) otherwise it will turn itself off at filling stations etc (unless you manually intervene to have it sucking hard at its own batteries). Beleive me, you don't want it running on its own batteries for too long unless you are a shareholder in Ever Ready!

Greg

Streetpilot III Power

You won't regret buying one. As for the power question if you buy the BMW power cable for the Navigator ( I think it was around £25) it wires into the auxillary socket with a doubled up connector so you still have power with the ignition off.

The cable comes with cable ties so all you need to do is route from the bars to down to the standard power socket. Don't even need to remove the tank! The excess cable at the connector end needs to be carefully tied up to allow you to replace the plastic cover.

Keith

Re: Streetpilot III Power

Keith Davies said:
buy the BMW power cable for the Navigator

Keith

Where does this cable come from? Is it available on-line anywhere?

Re: Streetpilot III Power

Keith Davies said:
You won't regret buying one. As for the power question if you buy the BMW power cable for the Navigator ( I think it was around £25) it wires into the auxillary socket with a doubled up connector so you still have power with the ignition off.

The cable comes with cable ties so all you need to do is route from the bars to down to the standard power socket. Don't even need to remove the tank! The excess cable at the connector end needs to be carefully tied up to allow you to replace the plastic cover.

Keith

I got a Garmin connector with bare ends for the SPIII from one of Garmins UK suppliers - I forget which - (but there are threads on the site for other suppliers) and hardwired it into the back of the power socket connector leading the cable under the tank etc with cable ties. Works fine - probably even better (safer) with an in-line fuse.

PeteC

Dave Hall said:
I`ve had my GPS V for a year now and there have been times when I could have ripped it off the bike and hurled it into a field..in fact whilst trying to navigate through Venlo on the German border in a car I had to stop my wife from doing just that.

Wanted Garmin GPS V. Send PM for best price.

Tim

Power cable

I bought from a BMW dealer. I've just checked the price - it was £45. Part number 71 60 7 670 585. The BMW handlebar mount was £11.50 - part number 71 60 7 671 084. You could also make up a cable by using the Garmin connector and wiring to the battery. The wiring instructions for the plug are in the Garmin Streetpilot manual.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom