GPS 60 not compatible with memory map

PIGGLET

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Arghhhhhhhh. Just found a post on a forum here
which reckons you can't plan a route on memory map then upload it to a GPS60CSX as the basemap and memorymap aint compatible:eek: . Well actually you can but the GPS will not follow the route with enough accuracy.
Anyone have any experience of this.
I'm expecting the GPSR and MM for christmas but if the above is the case then it's totally useless for my needs which are mountain biking and trail riding:(

PIGGLET
Put your hand in your pocket and cough up the cash for Garmin TOPO GB, should cover most of your needs and will route you aswell and you you can transfer tracks from Memory Map onto TOPO for the paths that aren`t on TOPO (as not all footpaths and bridleways are shown) cost around £125 if you can get a discount, or half that if you share an unlock code with a relative ;)

Feewwww, cheers for that shedracer, I was going to download the free topographical maps from SMC as mentioned on here. Is topo better or are htere compatability issues with the free stuff:nenau

Don't know about the free Topo, but Garmin Topo GB in conjunction with Memory map, works well for me (its not completely perfect, you need to zoom right in on the memory map, to be sure you are plotting the route as accurate to the path as possible). Use memory map to create a route on a footpath/bridle way etc, then Transfer it to your 60csx. I believe the base map on all Garmin units, is meant to be very basic and not that accurate, so you then buy some of there mapping. :(

If you get a 2gb SD card for your 60csx, you should be able to get all of the UK on it. :thumb My Topo GB V2 with all segments selected, Including Route calculation data is 1644.3 Mb. So you can use just Topo GB for your routing on the road. :thumb

I use Memory Map to construct a route and then download it to my Garmin Vista C and am able to follow the route on foot without any problems at all. Although I now have City Navigator on the Vista, the MM routes worked fine with just the base map. All you are doing when you construct a route in MM is compiling a list of waypoints which you then transfer to your GPSR. All the GPSR does is to draw a straight line between each of the waypoints in the order in which you compiled them. To follow the route you just make sure that the triangular icon on your GPSR which indicates your position follows the line on the screen. This is not the same as auto routing where you follow a set of directions generated by the GPSR. When you follow a MM route it is up to you to stay on course - the GPSR won't tell you to turn left in 500 ft or whatever. I can set the Vista so that it indicates my deviation in metres from the entered route, but that is as close as it gets to the Vista providing me with directions.

I could, if I so wished, enter a series of waypoints by manually entering the coordinates for each waypoint. All MM does is automate that process and therefore make it an awful lot easier to enter say 100 or more waypoints very quickly.

Anyway, doesn't one of the posters on the forum you refer to say that he doesn't have a problem following a MM route on his GPS60?

Back
Top Bottom