I wanna GS, I think.

Ned Flanders

Hi all

New member, and potential GS owner here enjoying this fantastic site of yours.
I'm looking to change my bike, got around £7.5k to spend and looking at a used 1150 GS, or dare I say on this site a Yamaha TDM 900, or Tiger 955i.
Now, cause I'm a lazy bugger and don't want to spend hours searching, perhaps you guys an gals (are there any GS gals) could offer up some comments/advice on the following ramblings:
Having owned Yamaha's for 5 years I've been really impressed with the warranty/service/help/advice..... from my local dealer and no-quibble rectification of a couple of faults with the bike (1 at no cost after the warranty had expired). The dealer and Yamaha have gone out of their way to make me a happy loyal customer. Yesterday I wandered into Clarks BMW in Brum
to look at a couple of used GS's. Not impressed with Clarks at all, far from friendly atmosphere, very unhelpful misinformed staff, and the suggestion of booking a test ride - no chance. Not at all what I expected of the BMW name.
Is this typical of BMW dealer attitude?
Seeing Clarks are local they are the ones I would have preferred to trust servicing etc to. I'll probably try BVM Moto next, not so convenient and they've no used GS's currently. Any other suggestions?
What are annual service costs like based on ~10k pa, and cost of owning a GS for ~5+years
Is the GS reliable? I recently met a R1100 S rider who criticised his
new(ish) bikes reliability and the unhelpful BMW attitude. Then I browse this site, notably the postings/website of "thesanguine", they've really made me think hard. Convince me I'm worrying unnecessarily.

Mind you I'll probably just wander into a showroom, all rationality will disappear and I'll hand over me px bike, all me money and then some!!!!!

No doubt have some more questions for you soon.

Regards

Tim

Just buy one. There is a 90% chance you will get like the rest of us and like it regardless of costs, reliability etc

Just do it, providing you get along with the bike on a test ride.

I had 4 bikes before my 1100. I have no intention of upgrading at the moment. The BM is the best bike I have ever owned and is the easiest and most rewarding to ride.

I too ride many miles each year, mainly commuting. The BM is the bike for the job. Great at embarrassing complacent sports bike riders too !!

As for the competition, well how can buy a Triumph with that micky mouse switchgear ? and TDM ? it's no coincidence that said quickly TDM sounds like tedium.

I also found the dealers prickly, but they are warming to me slowly.

Go on... you know you want too......

I've heard a few stories about Clarks, all bad. Don't let that put you off. Yes the GS is not without it's quibbles but it's the overall package that is it's boon. The fork braces corrode, rear shocks are crap and the standard 1150 wheels soon lose their lustre if not lovingly cared for. Minor leaks are also noticible on some machines, usually caused by overfilling the oil level. Try BVM, they do seem friendly. Also near you is a dealer in Northampton, bought an 1150 off them and they were very helpful/friendly. Now since sold and i'm now riding an Adv. If you want to see a lot of GS's for sale go to SPC, they had loads in there last weekend when i called in on the way to the pig massacre. Also the GS that you buy will be worth a lot more 12+ months down the line than any other bike you're looking at.

Tim,

Tim

Welcome to the asylum, enjoy your medication!!!!

As with most things in life there are good and bad, I believe that your best bet is find the right dealer first, look under dealers and you'll soon figure out whose who, I ended up choosing CW Motorcycles, but they are 120 miles from home, but it's worth the hassle. I find them knowledgeable, friendly and very helpful.

Your second point about servicing costs, expect to pay around £120 -150.00 for a 6000 mile and £200-250 for a 12000. Tyres should last 6-8000 miles for the back and 10-12000 fronts.

You should also calculate depreciation into your equation, GS's hold there value incredibly well.

Insurance is also very competitive.

And last of all, are GS's fun........buy one and you'll soon find out.

Andrew

Buy now and be satisfied.

So whats wrong with touring around the dealers and sampling some different attitudes. BMW have plenty of dealers for you to choose from, if you fancy a trip to Southport then I'm sure if you phone before you go they'll make your trip a pleasant one.

There are good and bad in everything, so expect differing standards. But BMW dealers ought to be consistent, however you've discovered one with faults. Do not let that put you off!

Be a little exclusive and ride something thats a little out of the ordinary and in my experience seems to be highly regarded by nearly all road user's Mr. Myopia excepted.

Buy one now........go on gey it bought.

Buy one now........go on gey it bought.

Tis bought.

Regards

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Back
Top Bottom