Which GPS??????????????

dockie64

Hello lads,
I know you have read posts from clueless idiots like me before, and answered them with "do a f*****g search but the more i read, the more i get confused!!!!!!! I am getting a new gs this week and would like a gps unit but cannot justify (in my mind) payin £900 for a BMW unit! The 2810s look good value from GPSW but the Zumo looks like a cool job. Now for a navigating novice like meself what would the knowledgable folk of this forum reccomend?
Can ya help me, please?
David.

David, everyone will recommend their own favourite any minute now so let's narrow the field:

1. How much can you justify? £200 / £300 / £500?

2. What kind of riding do you do? Europe - Morocco - UK only? Off road?

3. What else do you want to use it for? Nothing - car - boat - walking - mountain biking?

4. How 'techy' are you? Love gadgets and computers or hate them?

Hi David,

IMO you can`t go much wrong with the old 2610 for a couple of hundred quid. I paid £500ish for mine a couple of years ago & am still very happy with it. I can put it in any car, on the bike, it`s easy to use & the memory cards are cheap :thumb

Thats my 2 p worth :D

Lee

OK, will answer each one.....
1. Money is a factor but value in the long run wud be priority.........

2. Ireland and uk @ this time but might venture to europe to the odd GP if "her indoors" was comfy!!!!!!

3. Definately would use it in car and van, especially if it had up to date street mapping for Dublin (a kip) :)

4.I like gadgets but there is a limit to my attention span so if i had to spend a log time with my head in the manual, well...............not too techy!

Big Lee, i rang gpsw and the 2610 would be £250ish delivered to Ireland. The fact that Garmin say that model is discontinued put me off a wee bit but the Zumo @ nearly£600 had the same effect.........:eek:
I would like to buy new though coz there appears to be the odd dodgy deal(you know who you are:mad:) out there.......

Oh, and thanks for the replies
David.

Big Lee, i rang gpsw and the 2610 would be £250ish delivered to Ireland.
Presumably that's with a motorcycle mount - which means it's not a bad price. The 2610 will have the same mapping as other units, although the Zumo will use a slightly different version which will allow 8-figure post-code searches.

Big Lee is right; if you're not sure, get the 2610 - you will be well happy. And, if you want to upgrade, sell it on. The Zumo would be better (ie smaller) for car use but, as you said, it costs a lot more. For less money, you could buy a 2610 for the bike and a cheap Halfords 'special' for the car :D

A guy in a gps store in Dublin told me that the 2610 would not accept the v9 mapping but reading previous posts leads me to believe it will.........:confused:

David,
I would suggest that what ever you do decide to get, make sure you get City Navigator Version 9. As you live in Ireland, CN V8 doesn't have the detail that CN V9 has (much more detail on minor roads, Towns and villages).

Being a gps novice as you say, I personally would suggest the Zumo. Obviously price is a major consideration and only you can justify whether you can afford it. The 500 (only comes with the bike mount and cables) is good, but if you do want to use it on the bike and in the car/van, the 550 is better value, as it come with everything you will need to use either on the bike or in the car and the whole of Europe preloaded. The only extra you will have to consider is a SD card, if you want to listen to the mp3 player and these are really cheap these day (I paid £18 for a 2gb card).

I would imagine there will be some good deals going on the Zumo soon, now Christmas is over.

Good luck with you search, what ever you decide to get.

Thanks for the input, lads...... Shedracer, have you any suggestions as to where to price the Zumo coz i would be very tempted to go that way:thumb Does it have the v9 software? GPSW are lookin 4 £434+vat for the 550, I spoke to them and they said i should have it in 3 days. Has anyone seen them any cheaper? I like the idea of the internal battery coz i could use it on me mountain bike and it might encourage some exercise.....God knows I need it:rolleyes:
David

Zumo 550 is £421 ex vat here - I'm just about to order a Nuvi 350 from them - I'll let you know it goes in a few days!
Paul

Thanks for the input, lads...... Shedracer, have you any suggestions as to where to price the Zumo coz i would be very tempted to go that way:thumb Does it have the v9 software? GPSW are lookin 4 £434+vat for the 550, I spoke to them and they said i should have it in 3 days. Has anyone seen them any cheaper? I like the idea of the internal battery coz i could use it on me mountain bike and it might encourage some exercise.....God knows I need it:rolleyes:
David

The Zumo 550 comes preloaded with CN v9 NT as well as a CN v9 NT DVD disk.

You could try Dutchman, at Motorrad Concepts. He's a forum member as well as a Dealer.

http://www.motorradconcepts.com/

Really great guy to deal with, excellent customer service. I believe he's on holiday until Monday 8th Jan.

Zumo 550 is £421 ex vat here - I'm just about to order a Nuvi 350 from them - I'll let you know it goes in a few days!
Paul

Seems like a fair price.

Mutley's made the right prompts.................

If you are flush........... Get the Zumo

If you have doubts (financial or technical justification) .......... Get the 2610

I think you'll only outgrow the 2610 by the need to satisfy a desire for "gadgetry" :cool:

They are both good value, separated only by features/cost.

(don't get a TTR, FFS :eek: )

Al:thumb

Just out of curiousity, What unit is the BMW navigator III based on and how does the "techy specs" compare to the Zumo? Sorry if the questions are a bit on the stupid side but just want to be sure that me money is being spent wisely........:eek:

Just out of curiousity, What unit is the BMW navigator III based on and how does the "techy specs" compare to the Zumo?

Nav III is based on the 2820 with some minor differences ....

NavIII has a fancy cradle with buttons on the left, 2820 has audio out and audio in plugs (NavIII is BT only). Other than that the software is almost identical. 2820 is considerably cheaper - no BMW badge to pay for ;)
Have a look at for a review by PanEuropean on the 2820 - explains it quite nicely.

Not sure how the specs of the zumo compare.

Dale

Note that ALL Garmins sold today comes with the V9 map. If you buy one with an old CD/DVD in the box you can order a free upgrade from Garmin.

A general comment to the posts above is that it's not until you have used a GPS for a year or so that you understand which model you should have bought.

My advice is therefore to buy the very cheap SP2610. It can do all the essential things you want a GPS to do on a MC.

If you have plenty of money buy a Zumo 550. Its for Dummies. It can do almost everything that a SP2610 can do but it is much easier to use. It works directly out-of-the-box without any PC connection or anything.
:type

Many thanks for the replies lads....... I would like the idea of the zumo but the budget might not stretch that far! I will be gettin the bike this week so will decide how finances go then!!!!! Smithsonianus, will you let me know you get on with the purchase in the uk, please?
Thanks again,
David.

Note that ALL Garmins sold today comes with the V9 map. If you buy one with an old CD/DVD in the box you can order a free upgrade from Garmin.:type

A friend of mine had a new 2610 delivered last week from GPSW and the DVD in the box was City Navigator Europe v8. I didn't think v9 was out yet:confused:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom