Long Causeway

power2learn

Went off in search of a new BOAT at lunchtime - maps pointed me to 'long causeway', which starts (or ends, depending) at the top of the Redmires upper reservoir.

I got about 2/3rds of the way along before literally being blown off the bike :eek: by the wind coming up the side of the hill - that was a new one on me. Anyway, a little while further down I pulled over as there was a short (maybe 20 feet long) but very rocky and narrow section with quite a few steep drops.

Given I was on my own, had no prior experience of the trail, and it was wet and windy, I thought better of it and turned around.

Just wondered - is this passable on a GS :confused: ??

Is it the one on Stanage edge - it starts just off the back road from Bamford to Hathersage, I have not done it for a few years,then I was on a DR350 and got the bike stalled on top of a boulder. Nothing was near to the ground - feet or tyres - funny as foook but I would say that route is not for my GS 1150 - maybe the G/S 80 ( not bothered toooo much about putting dents in that ). Why not park at the Bamford side and walk to the top - at the top it is relatively easy and flatish BTW - I wouldnt try Totley Moss either :eek: - The one from Fox House to wards Ringinglow should be easy with care :D - BUT
Dont go offroading on yer own :nono is the safest rule :thumb
HTHY

Bamford/Stanage Edge.

Hi.
Stanage Edge is a tricky lane if riding some heavy hardware.
The climb out of Bamford Village to get up to there can also take some skill, be careful!
There are photos on some Land Rover websites showing the severity of the climbs so Google it.
The rocks can puncture engine cases very easily as I have witnessed (WR400).
As mentioned, the golden rule, don't do it alone, too risky!:nono
Timpo.

Did Stannage edge 2 weeks ago....watch the drop if its windy!!:D :D

There is nothing hard about the lane though except the fact that when its windy,it blows ya into the larger rocks and if ya turn to compensate,if the gusts stop suddenly(which they do),you will be steering over the big drop!!:eek: :eek:
Ref.damaging engine casings,almost all the lanes in the peak district will do this if you dont have a decent bash plate.

A good forum for the peaks is www.larf-online.com check out the ride reports which have plenty of pics/vids in them.

I go down stanage regularly on my mountain bike.I get of and carry it for at least 100 yds. Its doable on a lightweight scrambler and I expect gses can do it but It gets really rocky and i personally would have no chance on a gs

Is it the one on Stanage edge - it starts just off the back road from Bamford to Hathersage, I have not done it for a few years,then I was on a DR350 and got the bike stalled on top of a boulder. Nothing was near to the ground - feet or tyres - funny as foook but I would say that route is not for my GS 1150 - maybe the G/S 80 ( not bothered toooo much about putting dents in that ). Why not park at the Bamford side and walk to the top - at the top it is relatively easy and flatish BTW - I wouldnt try Totley Moss either :eek: - The one from Fox House to wards Ringinglow should be easy with care :D - BUT
Dont go offroading on yer own :nono is the safest rule :thumb
HTHY

Yeah, it is the one along stanage edge OS map. I came along the level-ish top part, past the pole and down, before deciding the rocks were too much.

Not found Totley Moss, but the fox-house / ringinglow one is my regular playground. I'd love to find some others (hence trip to stanage)... but not a good idea on own, as you say. With kids though, I can only do the whole or half day thing once in a blue moon.

I'd love to find a riding buddy or two that were up for 'little and often' - e.g. like perhaps an hour or so early on saturday or sunday mornings before the wife and kids were itching to get on with the day...

I go down stanage regularly on my mountain bike.I get of and carry it for at least 100 yds. Its doable on a lightweight scrambler and I expect gses can do it but It gets really rocky and i personally would have no chance on a gs

Could we refer to the term 'scrambler' as a trail or enduro bike since the term 'scrambler' can be taken out of context by do gooders as meaning a MX bike for other non road legal forms of transport.
Thanks.

Ohhh,i wouldn't fancy my chances on a mountain bike on some of the parts.:thumb

Ohhh,i wouldn't fancy my chances on a mountain bike on some of the parts.:thumb

I didn't know whether to be more impressed by the 'regularly on a mountain bike' posting, or you 'did it last week on a gs'.

Either way :bow .

I'd do it on my 950adv.

Is Totley Moss,Totley Moor??!! If so,do NOT attempt that on a GS.....them 'puddles' are DEEP.Yes,i did it on Weds and yes,its feckin deep(most puddles i bypassed since i was fortunate enough to be on the exc).:thumb

I'd do it on my 950adv.

Is Totley Moss,Totley Moor??!! If so,do NOT attempt that on a GS.....them 'puddles' are DEEP.Yes,i did it on Weds and yes,its feckin deep(most puddles i bypassed since i was fortunate enough to be on the exc).:thumb

I had to get me 80 out of one only 2ft deep. :eek:
One of the "holes" is over 5 ft deep when full and about 20ft long, you could quite easy loose yer bike and not find it for a while. And before everyone says "test it with a branch / stick first" there arnt any up there thats dead. I was lucky I dropped into one of the first few. Best of it is - I have done it quite a few times - should have remembered the deep ones - Just got the red mist "Up and Away" going
then
PPLLLLLUUUUUNNNNNNCCCCHHHH :mad: :eek: :(
took only 1/2 hour to drain bowls on carb dry out airfilter and its box plugs out etc. Then its straight home oils out of engine bevelbox gearbox etc etc
So
Next time I will take me own telescopic stick :eek and tow rope :eek and floatation barrels :eek
- or only do it after very dry weather :clap :clap

I had to get me 80 out of one only 2ft deep. :eek:
One of the "holes" is over 5 ft deep when full and about 20ft long, you could quite easy loose yer bike and not find it for a while. And before everyone says "test it with a branch / stick first" there arnt any up there thats dead. I was lucky I dropped into one of the first few. Best of it is - I have done it quite a few times - should have remembered the deep ones - Just got the red mist "Up and Away" going
then
PPLLLLLUUUUUNNNNNNCCCCHHHH :mad: :eek: :(
took only 1/2 hour to drain bowls on carb dry out airfilter and its box plugs out etc. Then its straight home oils out of engine bevelbox gearbox etc etc
So
Next time I will take me own telescopic stick :eek and tow rope :eek and floatation barrels :eek
- or only do it after very dry weather :clap :clap

I think the worse one is the one on the bend and there is another deep one towards the sheffield end.Just dont try going through the 'bomb holes' which are at the side of the trail!!:eek:

We were there yesterday

Just a bit cold!

Attachments

• IMGP0544.JPG
    IMGP0544.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMGP0535.JPG
    IMGP0535.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 131

Back
Top Bottom